• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Catholic Persecution of Christians

• Members

The early church began with rituals and traditions and the Catholic church simply adopted them  They are mentioned in the first century didache.  It's Jewish tradition that was frowned upon by the Apostles.  Not Church tradition.

If you were to read Platina's *List of the Popes, written several hundred years ago, you will see that he says each pope added to the tradition bit by bit.

*  May heve been called Lives of the Popes, it is many years since I read it.

• Moderators

Problem #1.  Your living in the past.  My question was...Now. You tell me the atrocities Rome committed in the month of March!

I did. You didn't specify the year. :wink

I am not disagreeing with you regarding the evil of Islam. Catholicism, however, has murdered thousands, perhaps millions, over the centuries that it was in power. It lays low today, as it hasn't the political power to act as it used to. Now it simply tries to convince Christians/Protestants that it is just like them, and lures them 'back' into the the RCC. The sad thing is that many (most?) Christians don't understand what the doctrine of that church is, nor its history, so they believe that the Mass is just Communion, and Rome is just another Christian denomination.

According to Catholic dogma, each time the Mass is offered, Christ is re-sacrificed to gain more merit for sin. This is blasphemy. The Bible says in Hebrews 10:10-14:

"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."

One sacrifice for all.

Canon 9 of the historic Council of Trent states:

"If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that  nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema." 

Canon 12 states:

"If any one shall say that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in the divine mercy pardoning sins for Christ's sake, or that it is that confidence alone by which we are justified ... let him be accursed"

These are in direct contradiction to the Bible which says:

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law," (Rom. 3:28).

"For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness," (Rom. 4:3).

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ," (Rom. 5:1).

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God," (Eph. 2:8).

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost," (Titus 3:5).

According to the historical practice, stated dogma (Council of Trent), and current stance (the Council of Trent has never been repealed), I am accursed to the Catholic church.  If I had lived those six centuries ago, I would probably have been drowned or burnt to death. *shudder*  They have not repealed the doctrines that led to such treatment.  I am not demonizing the individuals who have been deceived by the Roman church... I am simply refusing to be deceived myself.

Edited by salyan

• Members

Can anyone link a few good sites that go through the history of the Catholic church persecuting the earlier Christians? Those that were called Anabaptists and before that? A website that has references would be preferred but not necessary per say.

What does it matter.  Are you bent on slandering the church?  Catholicism no longer persecutes people.  Forgive and forget!

Look at what's going on in the world today.  Islam is bent on world domination through demographics and terrorism.  Does that strike a nerve in you somehow?  or is it going to take the next 911 to convince you.

The American Hiroshima is just around the corner.

In the words of one Muslim...

BRACE YOURSELF

• Members

Salyan,

That's what some Protestant's would tell you but...that's not blasphemy. I have no problem with a crucifix because it's an important part of our salvation. We are told to carry and endure our cross just like Christ did.  When I go to the cross for forgiveness of sins I don't see an empty cross.  I see the price Christ paid for me. The Protestants have again given the cross a bad rap because of their anti-Catholicism.

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [i say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.   Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

• Moderators

Salyan,

That's what some Protestant's would tell you but...that's not blasphemy. I have no problem with a crucifix because it's an important part of our salvation. We are told to carry and endure our cross just like Christ did.  When I go to the cross for forgiveness of sins I don't see an empty cross.  I see the price Christ paid for me. The Protestants have again given the cross a bad rap because of their anti-Catholicism.

Um... I wasn't talking about the cross...??  Although I will say that I love to see the empty cross - because Christ not only died for my sins but rose again! He's not still on the cross - He rose - proving Himself to be God and became the firstfruits of the resurrection - because He rose, I shall too! Hallelujah!

The teaching of the continual re-sacrifice of Christ is blasphemy.  I was not told this by any preacher, and I was not taught it in any book.  I was researching the Mass in one of my odd studies, and discovered that it was called the 'sacrifice of the Mass' because it taught the continual re-sacrifice of Christ. Hebrews specifically contradicts this teaching. Christ died once for all... by one sacrifice He hath perfected forever. There is no need of continual re-sacrifice!  Not only is there no need of it, but such a teaching spits in the face of His finished work on Calvary. "It is finished!" It is such a damnable doctrine, for it makes light of the efficacy of His blood shed once for us. It denies the Biblical teaching that 'without the shedding of blood there is no remission' (is it not called the 'bloodless offering of the Mass'?). It calls the teaching of Hebrews a lie. It is in direct contradiction to the clear teaching of Scripture! It even teaches cannibalism and blood-eating (even though in each dispensation man has been told not to eat blood).  And evangelicals today think it is just another form of Communion.  I hate it! Oh, I wish I could make you see how false and unBiblical it is.   :icon_sad:

Edited by salyan

• Moderators

What does it matter.  Are you bent on slandering the church?  Catholicism no longer persecutes people.  Forgive and forget!

Look at what's going on in the world today.  Islam is bent on world domination through demographics and terrorism.  Does that strike a nerve in you somehow?  or is it going to take the next 911 to convince you.

The American Hiroshima is just around the corner.

In the words of one Muslim...

BRACE YOURSELF

A friend of mine has a newspaper from Mexico City from just a couple years ago. In the paper is an advertisement  from the Catholic church there, posting a bounty for all Christian Missionaries and pastors killed. Its real, I've seen it. That they don't persecute in America doesn't mean they don't in third-world areas where they still have power. Also of note is that in many such countries, Catholics differentiate themselves from Christian-they don't claim the title-they are Catholic, not Christian.

No doubt that the Muslims are a greater threat physically, but spiritually, the RCC is a greater enemy, since so many are fooled into believeing they are Christian when they are nothing of the sort, but are the pagan offspring of Babylon. Their festivals and feasts are all of pagan origin, their use of idols and statues forbidden by the word of God, their Mariolatry straight out of Babylon's worship of the queen of Heaven. 

• Members

Um... I wasn't talking about the cross...??  Although I will say that I love to see the empty cross - because Christ not only died for my sins but rose again! He's not still on the cross - He rose - proving Himself to be God and became the firstfruits of the resurrection - because He rose, I shall too! Hallelujah!

The teaching of the continual re-sacrifice of Christ is blasphemy.  I was not told this by any preacher, and I was not taught it in any book.  I was researching the Mass in one of my odd studies, and discovered that it was called the 'sacrifice of the Mass' because it taught the continual re-sacrifice of Christ. Hebrews specifically contradicts this teaching. Christ died once for all... by one sacrifice He hath perfected forever. There is no need of continual re-sacrifice!  Not only is there no need of it, but such a teaching spits in the face of His finished work on Calvary. "It is finished!" It is such a damnable doctrine, for it makes light of the efficacy of His blood shed once for us. It denies the Biblical teaching that 'without the shedding of blood there is no remission' (is it not called the 'bloodless offering of the Mass'?). It calls the teaching of Hebrews a lie. It is in direct contradiction to the clear teaching of Scripture! It even teaches cannibalism and blood-eating (even though in each dispensation man has been told not to eat blood).  And evangelicals today think it is just another form of Communion.  I hate it! Oh, I wish I could make you see how false and unBiblical it is.   :icon_sad:

That's what you are being told and taught.  And you have no idea how much mis-information is in your reply.  I no longer have the desire to debate these things because these things are endless and senseless. Protestants seem to think they already know everything there is know about............everything there is to know about Catholicism.  There is no continual sacrifice, only continual atonement.  Christ died one time for all time doesn't mean we only look at the Cross with Christ on it only on Good Friday.  I've learned on my first journey with Christ to never believe what his people say without researching it myself in His Word. Especially when they're criticizing another church!  People today rely too much on others to do their homework and don't realize or don't care  if it goes against the Word of God.

• Members

A friend of mine has a newspaper from Mexico City from just a couple years ago. In the paper is an advertisement  from the Catholic church there, posting a bounty for all Christian Missionaries and pastors killed. Its real, I've seen it. That they don't persecute in America doesn't mean they don't in third-world areas where they still have power. Also of note is that in many such countries, Catholics differentiate themselves from Christian-they don't claim the title-they are Catholic, not Christian.

No doubt that the Muslims are a greater threat physically, but spiritually, the RCC is a greater enemy, since so many are fooled into believeing they are Christian when they are nothing of the sort, but are the pagan offspring of Babylon. Their festivals and feasts are all of pagan origin, their use of idols and statues forbidden by the word of God, their Mariolatry straight out of Babylon's worship of the queen of Heaven. 

I believe it is you that is fooled into thinking Catholic's are unsaved and are the greater enemy!

• Members

Now, I'm confused.
I thought you said you were IFB (or maybe at least implied it) but now you are talking as though you ARE a catholic in the way you use the "us and them" style when talking about protestants.

Could you please make it plain that you are or are not actually a catholic - because at this point I'm confused about it.

• Moderators

That's what you are being told and taught... People today rely too much on others to do their homework and don't realize or don't care if it goes against the Word of God.

Sigh. Which part of 'studied for myself' don't you understand? I don't think you know the Word very well if you think the references I made from the Bible go against the Bible. :shootme:

• Members

I believe it is you that is fooled into thinking Catholic's are unsaved and are the greater enemy!

James (KaoticProphet)

Please answer this one question I have for you:

If you died this very instant or in 3 hours, or 6 days, or 8 months or 3 years from this instant, are you 100% sure that you would be in Heaven?

• Moderators

Mariolotry; the confession, and being forgiven by a man; purchase of indulgences; a continual 'unbloody' sacrifice of Christ through the eucharist; praying to the dead; the pagan celebrations of Ishtar/Astarte, All Hollow's Eve and the Mass of Christ; the Inquisition; burning alive men for the crime of translating the Bible into the common tongue; Pope, "the vicar of Christ"; priests, called 'father' and 'Altar Christus, (another Christ); the priesthood of the Nicolaitans; works salvation; infant baptism; where shall I stop in the unbiblical aspects of the beast that is the Roman Catholi 'church'?

• Members

Now, I'm confused.
I thought you said you were IFB (or maybe at least implied it) but now you are talking as though you ARE a catholic in the way you use the "us and them" style when talking about protestants.

Could you please make it plain that you are or are not actually a catholic - because at this point I'm confused about it.

I didn't say I was IFB and I'm not a Catholic. I said my doctrine, which is my own, is in upwards of 90% identical to IFB's. Why are people so bent on labeling our Christianity?  I am James the Christian, a brother in Christ, and I stand up for the body of Christ.  I don't alienate myself from them because they are my brothers and sisters. That's what gives ecumenism which is Christian unity a bad rap.

Edited by kaoticprofit

• Members

Sigh. Which part of 'studied for myself' don't you understand? I don't think you know the Word very well if you think the references I made from the Bible go against the Bible. :shootme:

I wasn't talking about bible references.  When I do you'll know it.  I'm talking about your perception of the Catholics. 

I'm talking about all of this not one verse quoted...

The teaching of the continual re-sacrifice of Christ is blasphemy.  I was not told this by any preacher, and I was not taught it in any book.  I was researching the Mass in one of my odd studies, and discovered that it was called the 'sacrifice of the Mass' because it taught the continual re-sacrifice of Christ. Hebrews specifically contradicts this teaching. Christ died once for all... by one sacrifice He hath perfected forever. There is no need of continual re-sacrifice!  Not only is there no need of it, but such a teaching spits in the face of His finished work on Calvary. "It is finished!" It is such a damnable doctrine, for it makes light of the efficacy of His blood shed once for us. It denies the Biblical teaching that 'without the shedding of blood there is no remission' (is it not called the 'bloodless offering of the Mass'?). It calls the teaching of Hebrews a lie. It is in direct contradiction to the clear teaching of Scripture! It even teaches cannibalism and blood-eating (even though in each dispensation man has been told not to eat blood).  And evangelicals today think it is just another form of Communion.  I hate it! Oh, I wish I could make you see how false and unBiblical it is.

So my question to you now is...

Did you learn what you know about Catholicism from the Catechism or from Catholic answers?  In other words did you go to the source?  Or did you go to the many anti-Catholic web sites that are biased and even hateful of Catholics?

I was a Catholic for a long time.  But not as long as I've been a Protestant

• Members

Mariolotry; the confession, and being forgiven by a man; purchase of indulgences; a continual 'unbloody' sacrifice of Christ through the eucharist; praying to the dead; the pagan celebrations of Ishtar/Astarte, All Hollow's Eve and the Mass of Christ; the Inquisition; burning alive men for the crime of translating the Bible into the common tongue; Pope, "the vicar of Christ"; priests, called 'father' and 'Altar Christus, (another Christ); the priesthood of the Nicolaitans; works salvation; infant baptism; where shall I stop in the unbiblical aspects of the beast that is the Roman Catholi 'church'?

I've seen it all before.  Makes no sense to me either.

I can see that it's a real threat to the world....that is "your world."