• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Catholic Persecution of Christians

• Members

Can anyone link a few good sites that go through the history of the Catholic church persecuting the earlier Christians? Those that were called Anabaptists and before that? A website that has references would be preferred but not necessary per say.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Henry Grattan Guinness wrote a book called "The City of the Seven Hills" a history of Rome in the form of a poem. If you can obtain it from a library you may find it useful. Or you can view it here:

http://ia311024.us.archive.org/0/items/cu31924013475896/cu31924013475896.pdf

See the Inquisition p132 scanned version, p114 original.

Author's visit to the Inquisition p290 scanned, p 271 original.

P272
The lines beginning, "Ye layers of ashes black," pp.
119-123, were written by me in the spring of 1870, after
visiting the Quemadero in Madrid. I published them at
the time, introducing them by the following sentences :
Most have heard of the discovery made close to Madrid, in the
commencement of the present Revolution, of the " Quemadero," where,
three hundred years ago, the Inquisition burned so-called "heretics."
Some workmen came upon it in the process of cutting a new road.
The amount of human remains subsequently excavated is appalling.
Among the other horrors were found two bony hands transfixed by a
large nail, and clasped in the attitude of prayer, and the ribs of some
victim with the spear still protruding by which they had been pierced.
On the attempt being made to separate them from surrounding substances
they crumbled into dust. The effect of the discovery was
immense. Rome was revealed more clearly than ever before the eyes
of Spain. A speaker in the Cortes said that, while there were strange
geological sections and strata, there were also strange theological sections
and theological strata, declaring the history of the past. There was a
public meeting held on the site, attended by multitudes ; some of our
brethren sold Bibles amid the crowd, advertising them as copies of the
book forbidden by the Inquisition.
The impulse thus given to religious liberty is still profoundly felt.
I have just visited the spot. The workmen have not yet finished
making the road alluded to. On one side there is a high bank^ half
way down which these long black strata are exposed to the full light
of day. , Their contents crumble beneath the touch, and are found on
examination to consist principally of the debris of fuel and human
bodies burned and buried together. "The earth shall disclose her
blood, and shall no more cover her slain."

• Members

ian paisley's site has a lot of information:
http://www.ianpaisley.org/antichrist.asp

I have a book by Ian Paisly on the St Bathélemy masacre.

I also have a book entitled THE MASSACRE DE WASSY ET LES GUERRES DE RELIGION. (THE MASSACRE OF VASSY AND THE WARS OF RELIGION)
which I bought, either at the Calvin Museum in Noyon or at the Museum of the massacre in Wassy, old spelling and pronounced 'Vassy'. This massacre was on the first March 1562, ten years before the St Bathélemy masacre.
http://www.heritage-print.com/pictures_1228327/massacre-at-vassy-french-religious-wars-1-march-1562-1570.html Edited by Invicta

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Can anyone link a few good sites that go through the history of the Catholic church persecuting the earlier Christians? Those that were called Anabaptists and before that? A website that has references would be preferred but not necessary per say.

Oh you don't have to worry about Catholics persecuting anyone. We were too busy getting killed by the Romans and Muslims.

• Moderators

Oh you don't have to worry about Catholics persecuting anyone. We were too busy getting killed by the Romans and Muslims.

Apparently you're not aware of the Catholic church's rich history in the persecution and murder of millions of Christians, Jews, and anyone else who dared not follow them, or criticized the pope, or disagreed with the eucharist? You really should read up on it.

As mentioned before, I also highly recommend Foxe's Book of Martyrs, written by John Foxe in the 16th century, so he was around seeing it happen. Keep tissues nearby, because its pretty horrifying and heartbreaking.

• Members

Apparently you're not aware of the Catholic church's rich history in the persecution and murder of millions of Christians, Jews, and anyone else who dared not follow them, or criticized the pope, or disagreed with the eucharist? You really should read up on it.

As mentioned before, I also highly recommend Foxe's Book of Martyrs, written by John Foxe in the 16th century, so he was around seeing it happen. Keep tissues nearby, because its pretty horrifying and heartbreaking.

You're referring to the Reformation. Yes, I agree it was a bad time for all Christians. The word persecute is a bit harsh. We never persecuted anyone like the Romans persecuted us in the early centuries, if we did I'd be abliged to tell you. If you read it from our view, you'll see it was an all our war. Non-Catholic Christians were burning Rome and killing Catholics. I would say both are at fault during the Reformation.

• Moderators

You're referring to the Reformation. Yes, I agree it was a bad time for all Christians. The word persecute is a bit harsh. We never persecuted anyone like the Romans persecuted us in the early centuries, if we did I'd be abliged to tell you. If you read it from our view, you'll see it was an all our war. Non-Catholic Christians were burning Rome and killing Catholics. I would say both are at fault during the Reformation.

Not aware or, or denying, the Inquisition? Persecution is actually a pretty light term-more like torture and murder. And before the reformation-it was a reason for the reformation. And yes, after the reformation, Protestants didn't often act much better toward Catholics and non-Reformation Christians who had always existed outside the Catholic church. They still followed their mother, I'm afraid, in these things. Calvin was little different than a pope himself, in how he ran things with an iron fist.

This is why I'm glad to be a true Baptist, because we were not part of the RCC, and are not protestants, but find our roots in the Anabaptists and such groups that always existed away from the Catholic institution.