• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Will A Man Rob God?

• Members

If that's what you believe then that's how you should give.

Yet what God hath said to Christians is that we are to give according to as God leads in our hearts. If God leads you to give 10%, then that's what you should give.

I just don't understand the mentality that God would ask saved believers to give LESS than what Jews had been giving under the law for centuries. Everything I see in the New Testament tells me that people were following God's leading to give MORE than a tithe. In my opinion, tithing is basic...then God leads in our hearts to go far above and beyond that, "according to measure".

But of course this discussion will go on forever....we have to agree to disagree.

• Members

I just don't understand the mentality that God would ask saved believers to give LESS than what Jews had been giving under the law for centuries. Everything I see in the New Testament tells me that people were following God's leading to give MORE than a tithe. In my opinion, tithing is basic...then God leads in our hearts to go far above and beyond that, "according to measure".

But of course this discussion will go on forever....we have to agree to disagree.

God's ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts.

The Jews tithe was a matter of providing for the preisthood and temple system. The Jews were under the law, not under grace.

Christians are to have a complete change of heart, they are to have Christ in them and to submit themselves fully to His Lordship. When Christians do this their giving will reflect the will of God. In the New Testament we learn that at times some won't have to give and in those times the believers who have are to help them.

Christians are no where told to give any certain amount because they have to, but rather to give because God has given to them and to give as led in their heart.

• Members

God's ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts.

The Jews tithe was a matter of providing for the preisthood and temple system. The Jews were under the law, not under grace.

Christians are to have a complete change of heart, they are to have Christ in them and to submit themselves fully to His Lordship. When Christians do this their giving will reflect the will of God. In the New Testament we learn that at times some won't have to give and in those times the believers who have are to help them.

Christians are no where told to give any certain amount because they have to, but rather to give because God has given to them and to give as led in their heart.

New Testament giving is still a way to provide for the pastor and missionaries and spreading the gospel.

And yes, we are supposed to give from our heart. But in everything I can see in the Bible, examples of giving have been extreme giving, from the widow's mite to people selling property and giving it to the apostles, to families dedicating themselves to the ministry, to churches pooling as much money as possible to send to Jerusalem.

I don't read ONE thing in the entire Bible about people only giving a few bucks because they were too poor. If anything...the poorest people gave the greatest percentage. This is stated over and over in Scripture. God tells us to be a living sacrifice. God says we are unprofitable servants who, at the end of the day, have only done what is our duty to do. We owe far more to God than we can ever repay.

Like it or not, God does have some expectations, even in the age of grace. Souls are hanging in the balance, here.

Sometimes I think people who say "God hasn't led me" are not listening. And that is not just this thread...this is across the board over many topics. I don't think God led the woman to wash Jesus' feet with her hair and give up her entire retirement (often the ointments like that were investments that they would cash in when they were in need) on his feet..but she did it because HE deserved it.

Are we doing that? In light of that, doesn't 10% sound a little petty to even argue about?

• Members

New Testament giving is still a way to provide for the pastor and missionaries and spreading the gospel.

And yes, we are supposed to give from our heart. But in everything I can see in the Bible, examples of giving have been extreme giving, from the widow's mite to people selling property and giving it to the apostles, to families dedicating themselves to the ministry, to churches pooling as much money as possible to send to Jerusalem.

I don't read ONE thing in the entire Bible about people only giving a few bucks because they were too poor. If anything...the poorest people gave the greatest percentage. This is stated over and over in Scripture. God tells us to be a living sacrifice. God says we are unprofitable servants who, at the end of the day, have only done what is our duty to do. We owe far more to God than we can ever repay.

Like it or not, God does have some expectations, even in the age of grace. Souls are hanging in the balance, here.

Sometimes I think people who say "God hasn't led me" are not listening. And that is not just this thread...this is across the board over many topics. I don't think God led the woman to wash Jesus' feet with her hair and give up her entire retirement (often the ointments like that were investments that they would cash in when they were in need) on his feet..but she did it because HE deserved it.

Are we doing that? In light of that, doesn't 10% sound a little petty to even argue about?

I've pointed this out many times that if we are in Christ and giving according to His leading our giving will be abundant.

I'm not arguing about 10%, all I've said is the New Testament does not command that Christians tithe. As I've pointed out, we don't tithe, we give according as the Lord leads with regards to our church giving and other giving. Out of curiosity at the end of the year I've took our years income and compared it with our giving for that year and each year I've done that I've discovered our giving was well beyond 10%.

That said, the Lord has never led me to give a percentage of anything at any time. Our weekly church giving remains constant except for the rare occasion when the Lord leads me to give more (never yet less) or when our church is collecting for a special project and then I give according to the Lord's leading for that as well. Giving to the Lord's work outside our church, we have a couple ones we give a particular amount to each month and the other things we give as the Lord leads.

Our giving is based upon the Lord's leading, and this comes out or goes forth first, and then we pay the bills, buy groceries, etc.

It's not a matter of a particular percentage, and the tithe isn't commanded for Christians, it's a matter of walking close with the Lord so we know how much He wants us to give (and when and where) and then obeying Him in faith.

• Members

The first tactic of the devil, all the way from the Garden of Eden, is to say... "Yea, hath God said???"

The devil wants us to doubt and water down the Word of God.

There are alot of man made rules in fundamentalism and I'm against each and every one of them.

But I firmly believe that the entire Bible has made a case for 10% being the basic, bottom line of what we should give.

So you think that 10% is the basic? Why? It wasn't the basic for everyone in the Old Testament. Did God change? Please show me the verse where God said 'It is no longer farmers and herders only that I required 10% from, but now everyone must give 10%.' Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

God didn't require 10% of all the Jews, just the farmers and herders.

• Members

God sometimes leds me to give less - as in the church is being mislead, don't give. I think God also doesn't direct me to make an offering to a particular place as He hasn't been directing me to give exactly 10% - which are both types of laws, and the "tithers" have been making a law about how much and where both from OT law.

• Members

God sometimes leds me to give less - as in the church is being mislead, don't give. I think God also doesn't direct me to make an offering to a particular place as He hasn't been directing me to give exactly 10% - which are both types of laws, and the "tithers" have been making a law about how much and where both from OT law.

Peter told the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15 that the Gentile Believers were not to be put under the yoke of bondage in the Mosaic Law. Gentile Believers were not to be required to keep the commandments of Moses... this included the command to tithe.

Since God was not a God of the Gentiles prior to the cross, I cannot believe that they were paying tithes to Him prior to the cross. There is no evidence that they did from what I can tell.

That said, it is absolutely wrong for pastors, or anyone else for that matter, to tell Gentile Believers today that they must give 'x' amount of their income to God.

The Gentile Believer should however pray to God asking Him as to what He would have them give and then give that amount cheerfully and willfully that they feel God wants from them.

• Members

God didn't require 10% of all the Jews, just the farmers and herders.

Peter told the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15 that the Gentile Believers were not to be put under the yoke of bondage in the Mosaic Law. Gentile Believers were not to be required to keep the commandments of Moses... this included the command to tithe.

Since God was not a God of the Gentiles prior to the cross, I cannot believe that they were paying tithes to Him prior to the cross. There is no evidence that they did from what I can tell.

That said, it is absolutely wrong for pastors, or anyone else for that matter, to tell Gentile Believers today that they must give 'x' amount of their income to God.

The Gentile Believer should however pray to God asking Him as to what He would have them give and then give that amount cheerfully and willfully that they feel God wants from them.

That is the problem with applying what the Bible doesn't say! None of us have mastered what it does say yet, and now we are practicing what it doesn't say!

Another problem I see with the op's posts is that we too often isolate the Word to a few people instead of an all-inclusive Word of God. I mean, when we, to support our argument, say that God only talks to a certain group at a time, then we may as well cut out the parts that don't belong to us! Otherwise, we are reading that which is none of our business; other peoples mail, so to speak. If I can do that then Mt. 28:19,20 were talking to the apostles, and are not required for us today! That, of course, is foolishness, and it would make soul winning to be foolishness too!

All of us need to be careful of thinking we know the mind of God,(including myself!) and what pleases Him, in all truth, we barely get by in His sight, and without grace, we would miserably fail Him. I have said many times that "God wants...." and I should have perhaps bitten my tongue, but if the scripture is clear on the matter, which I believe it to be, then we can speak on behalf of the Word.

My own logic, and my relationship with the Lord, lead me to see that tithing is good for us, and not meant to demeaning or demanded of God. We ought to be glad to that the Lord only required 10% and not much more! He deserves it all, plus some! Tithing will help take our eyes off riches (or the lack of) and allow us to have our needs met, and still focus on Jesus. If I have to worry and plan and fret all day about "making ends meet" then I am not trusting the Lord for the things that even the Gentiles worry about (Mt. 6)
Everyone is free to believe what they want, of course, because of that free will of man, but not every one will be able to say that the Lord told them differently than others. Why should He tell you not to tithe when you ran up your own bills? We are all responsible for our actions, and unfortunately, we claim that it is that Lord that moved us in that direction--He gets the blame for a lot! It is as if He bases what we should give on the foolishness that we accrued in managing our money.

Some are going to do what's convenient for them regardless, but "as for me and my house, we will serve God". (Now some cry baby will say that I am telling them they "have" to tithe. I really don't care if you do or not, that is between you and the Lord.)

• Administrators

That is the problem with applying what the Bible doesn't say! None of us have mastered what it does say yet, and now we are practicing what it doesn't say!

Another problem I see with the op's posts is that we too often isolate the Word to a few people instead of an all-inclusive Word of God. I mean, when we, to support our argument, say that God only talks to a certain group at a time, then we may as well cut out the parts that don't belong to us! Otherwise, we are reading that which is none of our business; other peoples mail, so to speak. If I can do that then Mt. 28:19,20 were talking to the apostles, and are not required for us today! That, of course, is foolishness, and it would make soul winning to be foolishness too!

All of us need to be careful of thinking we know the mind of God,(including myself!) and what pleases Him, in all truth, we barely get by in His sight, and without grace, we would miserably fail Him. I have said many times that "God wants...." and I should have perhaps bitten my tongue, but if the scripture is clear on the matter, which I believe it to be, then we can speak on behalf of the Word.

My own logic, and my relationship with the Lord, lead me to see that tithing is good for us, and not meant to demeaning or demanded of God. We ought to be glad to that the Lord only required 10% and not much more! He deserves it all, plus some! Tithing will help take our eyes off riches (or the lack of) and allow us to have our needs met, and still focus on Jesus. If I have to worry and plan and fret all day about "making ends meet" then I am not trusting the Lord for the things that even the Gentiles worry about (Mt. 6)
Everyone is free to believe what they want, of course, because of that free will of man, but not every one will be able to say that the Lord told them differently than others. Why should He tell you not to tithe when you ran up your own bills? We are all responsible for our actions, and unfortunately, we claim that it is that Lord that moved us in that direction--He gets the blame for a lot! It is as if He bases what we should give on the foolishness that we accrued in managing our money.

Some are going to do what's convenient for them regardless, but "as for me and my house, we will serve God". (Now some cry baby will say that I am telling them they "have" to tithe. I really don't care if you do or not, that is between you and the Lord.)

:goodpost:

• Members

It is absolutely wrong (and foolish) to imply that I or anyone else is not serving God if we don't tithe our money. God did not require all people to tithe under the Law. Were those not tithing then 'not serving God?' Of course they were! They served Him in other ways.

The eye cannot say to the ear because you are not an ear you are not part of the body. The eye and the ear have different functions in the body... the eye cannot hear and the ear cannot see.

There is no Scripture in the Word of God that teaches all are to tithe, but there are Scriptures that teach that only farmers and herders were to tithe. You would be hard pressed to find one instance of either Jesus or His Apostles tithing... it's not there because they were not required to tithe.

The Pharisees added to the Word of God prior to the cross. Then, the Jerusalem Counsel tried to add to God's Word in the New Testament. Both Peter and James put a stop to that.

Today, modern preachers are putting Gentile Beleivers under a law that God's Word says was never meant for them to be under. He that is under the law is under a curse. (Galatians 3) If you choose to be under the law, then that is you. But the Word of God states that if you place yourself under the law you are to follow the whole law or you are guilty of all if you offend in any point.

Paul said we are not to be put under the law, quit trying to condemn those of us who live by the Word of God.

• Members

My experience is God has not blessed my giving whenever I have put it under a law because the law is cursed. I also believe God has been showing me specifically not to be under any type of babylonian captivity.

Some people already know and have taken God's word, and some people are scoffing, but the truth is just what it is.
God loves a cheeful giver, and that is the gospel. Anyone that wants to put themselves or me under bondage of men for their
own private gain, church made politics and witchcraft, I avoid. That particular verse along with some others was given to
me by brothers who loved me many years ago, and its from the Lord who loved us completely:

2 Corinthians 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

My experience is God has not blessed my giving whenever I have put it under a law because the law is cursed. I also believe God has been showing me specifically not to be under any type of babylonian captivity.

Some people already know and have taken God's word, and some people are scoffing, but the truth is just what it is.
God loves a cheeful giver, and that is the gospel. Anyone that wants to put themselves or me under bondage of men for their
own private gain, church made politics and witchcraft, I avoid. That particular verse along with some others was given to
me by brothers who loved me many years ago, and its from the Lord who loved us completely:

2 Corinthians 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

FYI Don't you think Christ paid a great enough price when he died on the cross for you? Where are the works you are adding to this.

• Members

When my husband preaches giving/tithing he preaches it to help our people...because when people give generously to God, God blesses. When people do not give to God, God doesn't bless that so much. I've heard testimony over and over and over again of God taking care of people who "take care" of God's business.