• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Other Barak

• Members

I don't usually get caught up in critiquing the president, nor political junk, but I found this among my stuff, and thought it might be amusing.

“And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time” and the Lord said to Deborah “Deborah” and she said “Here am I Lord”. And the Lord said “I want you to go up and fight against the armies of Sisera, and I will deliver him into thine hand”. And Deborah said, but Lord, I am but a woman, in subjection to my man, and who am I to go to war against Sisera, the captain of Jabin’s army.?” The Lord told her then to go get Barak, and take him with her, that she may be sanctioned by his presence. Deborah asked “Lord, do you mean that yellow bellied man that refused to judge Israel?” “Yes” said the Lord, “I doubt that he will go” Deborah pled, “but nevertheless, at thy word, I will seek him.”
Deborah found Barak trembling and afraid, sitting under a tree. “Hey Barak” yelled Deborah, “Get yourself up and come with me . I go to fight the battle of the Lord” and Barak said, “No! Not me, you want that other Barak, he is the one that wants to bring about change”. “Aw, come on, don’t be such a scaredy-cat” Deborah scolded, “I will go with you”. So Barak went with Deborah, cowering at every shadow, and whimping as he went. “Who is this other Barak” Deborah asked, making small talk along the way, “Oh, he is a distant cousin, but he doesn’t believe in war for any reason” Barak explained. “He’s the smart one in the family—the diplomat, who knows, he may be president some day” said Barak proudly. “The other Barak negotiates his way out of trouble, but talks himself into the hearts of people, he is quite wily actually” Barak was lost in his thoughts of mock grandeur as they began to approach the river Kishon where Barak’s army was lying in wait. Along the way, Barak had gathered ten thousand men to help him in the battle. Surely he would not be hurt with that many soldiers fighting on his side.
The war was engaged, and…you know the story, Sisera fled to the tent of Jael, the wife of Eber the Kenite, and she drove a spike through his head while he slept, but what you didn’t know is that the “other Barak” was fighting on a different front! He was waging a war to bring the troops home, and let poor old Sisera go! He was in Washington pleading with the senate to pass laws against going to war; he was just as cowardly as his distant cousin, but much more diplomatic. It mattered not that the Lord commanded Deborah to go, he had his own agenda, a “non-violent” agenda. We do not know the end of the story yet, for it has not yet been recorded in the annuls of history, but one can be assured that it was not a happy ending, neither for Israel, Gods true people, or for Barak and Deborah in the long run. Only time will tell what happened as history repeats itself, and another Barak stays home.