• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Christian family turning away from God.

• Members

I believe the term "Christian" is used so loosely today, that everyone in a church or who has made a profession of faith, is considered such! We know, from scripture, that, such is very wrong, to say the least!
Notice who people hang around, in church! If they hang around the carnal folk, more than likely, they're either a carnal saved person, or lost! If they hang around the spiritual folk, it's a pretty safe assumption, that they're a Christian!

There is no doubt many non-Christians who yet profess to be Christian are called Christians when they really shouldn't be. There are also many who may be saved but they are resistent to putting off the old nature and putting on Christ.

There needs to be discipling, which is sorely lacking in so many churches. Where are the classes where mature men of God can disciple the younger men? Where are the classes for the mature women in Christ to teach the younger women as Scripture commands?

In reference to what Suzy brought up, it's most likely that the vast majority of churches have non-Christians and carnal Christians in them.

We all have choices to make, and this includes who we make choose to be friends with and who we choose to spend time with.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It sounds rather cold, but Life happens to us all! I have said many times that every man faces a battle from a different perspective; some run away from it; some panic and charge it , not prepared to tackle it; and others freeze where they are in fear, and are killed by the enemy as they do nothing. Trauma happens, and though we all think we are above it, only the testing of will reveal our true strength.

Sorry to hear all those stories of people who reached their breaking point, but the Lord is much more sad about it than any of us, be assured of that. It was no surprise to Him, but that doesn't make it any less tragic.

We must not forget that for those in Christ, God has promised not to send anything into their lives they can't handle. God will provide the way to get through all life's trauma's, difficulties, prOBlems and crisis'.

Of course we can choose to ignore God, refuse to trust Him, refuse to wait upon Him, and just give up or run away from Him.

As we read in First John, sometimes when people seem to turn away, it's not that they are turning away but a sign they were never a true Believer to begin with.

Many people manage to fool themselves, and others, into thinking they are true Christians when they are not.

One of the saddest things to hear is, "I used to be a Christian" or "I tried Christianity and it didn't work for me". Sometimes these folks spent years as "Christians" before they walked away because in reality they were never scriptural Christians at all.

So sad because these folks are very hard to reach with the Gospel.

• Members

That means, they weren't Christian friends, were they?

Well they certainly turned out not to be true friends but I don't now for certain if they were true Christians or not. They separated themselves from us and the last I knew they were following Kenneth Hagin, or at least his teachings.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

People just ignore the warnings and admonishments of scripture and go their own way and do their own thing! They may be saved, but they sure aren't Christians!
Excellent post!

I have been down this road. Raised in the church, knew what was right, received the Lord, but because I was surrounded by so much negativity, I got into Drinking, Drugs, Sex, Lying, Jail, and every other thing you could think of. And the Marine Corps did not help. In the back of my mind I knew what was right, but doing all these things felt better than being a Christian.
. Edited by Saved IFB