• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Christian family turning away from God.

• Members

The closest Christian friend I ever had has fallen away too. Of all people, he would have been the last I would have thought would do such. This guy was grounded in the Word, we attended church and Bible studies together for years. We were there for one another through some very trying times and never once in the six or seven years we were close did I ever see him waver in the slightest.

Due to work and family situations we were separated. We kept in a bit of contact but then he stopped writing. I thought he had possible run into some prOBlem because at the very least he used to always send a Christmas email but they stopped too. Eventually I found him on Facebook and it seems he's like another person now. He doesn't want to talk about it and he's far away in another State so I don't know what happened.

Considering I always viewed him as being even steadier and more grounded in Christ that myself, finding out he fell away really hit me hard.

Brother John, bless your heart. I know that's gotta hurt.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This woman's husband was my 3rd cousin. He was fully Christians, yet somewhat liberal, and a deacon. His best friend was in church as a youth but it seems he was never saved. They both had cows and chicken houses, helped each other with their cows. During the latter days his best friend had a woman living with him, it seem this best is his children's hero.

His best friend got caught doing wrong and the chicken company cut his chicken house contracts, that tells you what his morals are like. He was paying the weight master at the feed mill to ship him feed that was not weighed in order to have a better feed conversion which would mean more money while cheating the rest of the grower that sold the same week as he did.

Many times thru the years, where you see one, you would see both, they seemed closer than brothers. I might add he is divorced and has been shacked up with a woman and they have one child.

To be honest I think the younger boy, as well as daughter, have been influence more by their father's best friend, than by mother and father, there is no doubt they are walking in the path of their father's best friend, of course now the mother has gotten on that path too.

I think this is a case were a Christians man has let his best friend influence his family more than he did. I know that he did not mean for his best friend to have this type of influence on his family, I really believe that Carl though that his influence would pull his best friend to God, instead it brought sin to his house and family.

• Members

And yet so many professsing Christians choose to have worldly friends even though Scripture warns us to separate and tells us plainly that bad friends will corrupt us.

People just ignore the warnings and admonishments of scripture and go their own way and do their own thing! They may be saved, but they sure aren't Christians!
Excellent post!

• Members

If Christian friends were more faithful, less critical, and more available, I'm sure more people would choose Christian friends.

I believe the term "Christian" is used so loosely today, that everyone in a church or who has made a profession of faith, is considered such! We know, from scripture, that, such is very wrong, to say the least!
Notice who people hang around, in church! If they hang around the carnal folk, more than likely, they're either a carnal saved person, or lost! If they hang around the spiritual folk, it's a pretty safe assumption, that they're a Christian!

• Members

I believe the term "Christian" is used so loosely today, that everyone in a church or who has made a profession of faith, is considered such! We know, from scripture, that, such is very wrong, to say the least!
Notice who people hang around, in church! If they hang around the carnal folk, more than likely, they're either a carnal saved person, or lost! If they hang around the spiritual folk, it's a pretty safe assumption, that they're a Christian!

You are assuming all churches have these groups....

Just for sake of argument. :-)

• Members

Personally, I don't "hang around" anyone; they hang around me. I would like to believe that the reason they do is because they see something they want to be around and I am having a positive influence on them. I know I always try to have a positive influence on them.

• Members

It sounds rather cold, but Life happens to us all! I have said many times that every man faces a battle from a different perspective; some run away from it; some panic and charge it , not prepared to tackle it; and others freeze where they are in fear, and are killed by the enemy as they do nothing. Trauma happens, and though we all think we are above it, only the testing of will reveal our true strength.

Sorry to hear all those stories of people who reached their breaking point, but the Lord is much more sad about it than any of us, be assured of that. It was no surprise to Him, but that doesn't make it any less tragic.

• Members

Personally, I don't "hang around" anyone; they hang around me. I would like to believe that the reason they do is because they see something they want to be around and I am having a positive influence on them. I know I always try to have a positive influence on them.

Um, should I have used the phrase "associate with?"

• Members

Um, should I have used the phrase "associate with?"

No, either phrase if fine. I guess I was attempting to make the not so subtle distinction that sometimes when someone sees a person or couple "hanging around" another person or couple that some may believe are of a lesser walk with the Lord, it may actually be the other way around. The person or couple of lesser walk may be hanging around the stronger Christian (perhaps even seeking them out) and being influenced for the positive, not always the other way around. That was all I was saying....no big deal.

• Members

No, either phrase if fine. I guess I was attempting to make the not so subtle distinction that sometimes when someone sees a person or couple "hanging around" another person or couple that some may believe are of a lesser walk with the Lord, it may actually be the other way around. The person or couple of lesser walk may be hanging around the stronger Christian (perhaps even seeking them out) and being influenced for the positive, not always the other way around. That was all I was saying....no big deal.

I pray the weaker person or couple does that, however, it's been my experience, where I've been, that, it's easier for someone to be pulled down, than picked up!
All I was saying was, usually, the more spiritual folk associate with (or hang around) the more spiritual folk and the more carnal folk associate with (or hang around) the more carnal folk! Just an OBservation, that is all.

• Members

I pray the weaker person or couple does that, however, it's been my experience, where I've been, that, it's easier for someone to be pulled down, than picked up!
All I was saying was, usually, the more spiritual folk associate with (or hang around) the more spiritual folk and the more carnal folk associate with (or hang around) the more carnal folk! Just an OBservation, that is all.

Understood and that is the general trend.

• Members

If Christian friends were more faithful, less critical, and more available, I'm sure more people would choose Christian friends.

If the Christian friends are walking in the Spirit then they should be already. The only Christian friends I've had which were like what you mention, were those who were not walking in the Spirit.