• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

why news?

• Members

The only way to change the direction America is going is to get more Americans saved.

:amen: The Bible and history clearly prove this. We can read some of this in America's history. The results of the Great Awakenings, what followed the preaching of Billy Sunday! Those are but a couple examples, one can read of many others (both large scale and small) of how the spreading of the Gospel and souls being born again in Christ brought about positive changes in society, politics, families, entire towns, counties, States and the nation!

Christ is the answer!

• Members

We as Christians are to exercise our rights under the God ordained law of the land, part of that is voting. Voting requires some level of involvement (to understand where a candidate stands) and how the positions of the candidate will interfere our assist our Godly calling to go and preach the gospel, anyone seen interfering with Gods' law should not get a Christians vote.

• Administrators

When Iowa was getting ready to issue marriage licenses to homosexuals, I wanted to write a personal letter to every county recorder (99 counties), encouraging them to take a stand on what is right and refusing to issue the licenses. When I call a seasoned pastor for advice on wording the letter, he said my time would be better spent on witnessing. The only way to change the direction America is going is to get more Americans saved.

Even my own county's recorder, who claims to be a devout Catholic, said none of the recorders were going to fight the law. Even though they were elected officials, they could be removed for refusing to follow the law. She assured me that she wasn't about to risk losing her jOB, and since the Bible "says" we are to follow the laws anyway, then her hands were tied.

When I pointed out that Christians were to follow man's law until it contradicts God, she just turned and walked away. BTW, I didn't send the letters and went door-knocking instead.

I agree that we need to get Americans saved (and discipled...just getting them saved doesn't produce strong Christians!). That is the main reason for the 1st amendment's stipulation about religion. The Baptists who pushed for that knew that, in order to be free with the parameter's of the Constitution's liberty, the right to freedom of religious practice had to be enumerated.

Sometimes protecting that right means action. Whether it is to march on the capitol or write letters or make phone calls, there really is nothing wrong with Christians being active in that way. Going overboard is wrong. But I believe there are some Christians whom God would have devote their working hours to such - just as any other jOB.

It's too bad you didn't send the letters, Mitch. You could have sent the letters and gone door-knocking. We do. We've sent many letters and made many phone calls down through the years. Some have been effective, some haven't. But some who've ignored our letters and calls are no longer in office. :clapping: And we are hoping that this year is no different. :icon_mrgreen: And we still minister.

Indiana was debating on an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman. That isn't just a political thing - it is very much a biblical thing. Our church took buses down to the capitol. Not to march, but to stand with those congressmen who wanted to pass this. And the homosexuals were out in force, too. Some of us were able to witness to some of the homosexuals as well. Time well spent? Yes, even though the amendment proposal didn't pass the state constitution's requirement for becoming an amendment.

Does that mean our church is uber involved in politics and the world today? Nope. Anyone who comes to spend some time with us can quickly see that souls are very important to us. But if we lose our freedoms, our liberty to witness will be constricted. And that is a gigantic reason for being aware of what is going on around us. Jesus said to occupy til He comes. We can't occupy if we ignore!

• Members

If we are to preach, we are to know what is going on. As the Saved Elect, we have to take our rightful place in this world. We are Saved. We have the knowledge of the Lord. We speak English. We know almost everything worth knowing (KJV 1611). And we must spread that knowledge to the heathens. Thus we have to get them to put us, preachers, into a position of teachers, and themselves as students. So it is important that we can rebuke them not only regarding Biblical issues, but also regarding all else that's going on in the world. That's where news become useful.

Edited by ThomasCooper

• Members

I'm always fascinated by how one person's personal conviction (not speaking of direct command or specific principle in Scriptures) is suppose to be every body's conviction. I guess that is because the Holy Spirit and Father must work in our lives in the same exact manner.

• Administrators

I'm always fascinated by how one person's personal conviction (not speaking of direct command or specific principle in Scriptures) is suppose to be every body's conviction. I guess that is because the Holy Spirit and Father must work in our lives in the same exact manner.

Hmmm - I hope you don't think my post was meant to put everyone in the same box...?

• Members

Hmmm - I hope you don't think my post was meant to put everyone in the same box...?

Not at all, I didn't quote you when I made the OBservation. It was a general statement coming from seeing hundreds of posts from people who do wrest the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit's leading to apply to everyone; when there is not a direct command or principle given in the Scriptures.

If the Holy Spirit (let's use the "news" as an example as that is the thread we are in) convicts a brother or sister that for them the watching or reading of news is a waste of their time and not for them, they may extend that leading to be applicable for all Christians - when in fact that was not necessarily God's purpose.

This is just a sample to explain my earlier comment about personal convictions, I am not saying this is what Irishman has said or does. But there are plenty of examples of this being done on this board and in real-life. Just an OBservation.

• Administrators

Not at all, I didn't quote you when I made the OBservation. It was a general statement coming from seeing hundreds of posts from people who do wrest the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit's leading to apply to everyone; when there is not a direct command or principle given in the Scriptures.

If the Holy Spirit (let's use the "news" as an example as that is the thread we are in) convicts a brother or sister that for them the watching or reading of news is a waste of their time and not for them, they may extend that leading to be applicable for all Christians - when in fact that was not necessarily God's purpose.

This is just a sample to explain my earlier comment about personal convictions, I am not saying this is what Irishman has said or does. But there are plenty of examples of this being done on this board and in real-life. Just an OBservation.

Okay - I knew you didn't quote me, and I just wanted to make sure I didn't come across as thinking that everyone ought to do it my way. :coffee2:

• Members

Many times it appears that way, but that's because there is only one Holy Spirit, and one dispensation (way of dealing with men). To claim that one man's conviction is from the Holy Spirit then, becomes a rebuke to the others! Why should one man be convicted of something by the Holy Spirit, if it is not something that God is not pleased with? He does not amuse Himself by convicting one person in one area, and not someone else in the same area! The only answer then, can be that one is over-hearing the Spirit, or the other is not listening!
Our God is not a wishy-washy God.

As far as political involvement, I stand on scriptural examples. Jesus paid taxes, yes, but he did not do so apparently until confronted with it; then I may have been for expedience's sake. Paul appealed to Caesar when the persecution got bad, but all the while it was in step with him preaching the gospel.

I too have written to Senators, Representatives, etc. but I usually get the same rhetoric that politicians love-- a "tell them what they want to hear" type, while the Rep. does what's he thinks is best for the party, or for himself. We don't know the pressure on them about losing face, or even their jOBs. Of course, some will say that it is still better than doing nothing, but I wonder if voting the wrong way isn't really worse than doing nothing? Luke 4: 6 where the devil was tempting Jesus in the wilderness says "And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it." Jesus did not rebuke Satan for saying that all that worldly power is given to him to give to whosoever he will! I have said before, the office is the sacred part, not the man in the office. Furthermore, a Christian will have to compromise to be an effective politician, whether he likes it or not. Somewhere down the line, he will have to compromise his convictions and standards or be black balled out of office.

Our hope IS NOT in electing the Christian men to office; it IS NOT in politics, but in soul winning on an individual basis. It is in seeking after our God, as 2 Chronicles 7:14 tells us. Say what you will, that is the remedy for a nation's sin and for OBtaining the blessing of God upon it.

This world's systems are not ours, they are run by, and belong to the world. (1 Jn. 2:15-17) That includes our secular and humanistic government. Edited by irishman

• Members

A rather good point. Oftentimes ones personal conviction can be so strong that it leads them to assume all should have the same conviction.

I've encountered folks with a zeal to take the Gospel to a specific people group and then condenm those who didn't feel the same.

Of course, taken to the logical conclusion, if all God's people felt convicted to to evangelize Eskimos then we would see all missionaries going to the Eskimos and all missions support going for this cause. Such would leave the other billions on the planet without missionaries.

Someone may be called to street preach, another to door knock, another to pass out tracts, another to support missionaries financially, another to prepare missionaries, etc.

Of course this isn't restricted to this sort of activity, I'm just using this as an example. Scripture tells us the Body of Christ is akin to our physicaly body. Both are made up of many different members, each with different functions and each function an important part of God's overall plan.

• Members

When Iowa was getting ready to issue marriage licenses to homosexuals, I wanted to write a personal letter to every county recorder (99 counties), encouraging them to take a stand on what is right and refusing to issue the licenses. When I call a seasoned pastor for advice on wording the letter, he said my time would be better spent on witnessing. The only way to change the direction America is going is to get more Americans saved.

Even my own county's recorder, who claims to be a devout Catholic, said none of the recorders were going to fight the law. Even though they were elected officials, they could be removed for refusing to follow the law. She assured me that she wasn't about to risk losing her jOB, and since the Bible "says" we are to follow the laws anyway, then her hands were tied.

When I pointed out that Christians were to follow man's law until it contradicts God, she just turned and walked away. BTW, I didn't send the letters and went door-knocking instead.

Few there be that will do this. But the count's recorders, if they be Christian, should not issue those licenses to the homosexuals, them suffer for righteousness sake, to many put to much importance in the almighty dollar, their jOB, than they do in following Jesus. They just do not want to do right, and face the consequences, treasure on earth mean more to them than treasures in heaven.

Oh how weak our faith be.

• Members

Few there be that will do this. But the count's recorders, if they be Christian, should not issue those licenses to the homosexuals, them suffer for righteousness sake, to many put to much importance in the almighty dollar, their jOB, than they do in following Jesus. They just do not want to do right, and face the consequences, treasure on earth mean more to them than treasures in heaven.

Oh how weak our faith be.

One thing that I've noticed is the high number of professing Christians who will do unchristian things because they were "ordered to" by their bosses and they see this as justification for their unchristian acts.

However, these same professing Christians don't accept this same line of reasoning as used by German soldiers after WWII when charged with war crimes and they proclaimed they were just following orders.

If we proclaim that German soldiers, when ordered to do something immoral, should have risked being shot on the spot for disOBeying orders in a time of war, how much more should Christians be willing to stand up for Christ and refuse to carry out orders from their bosses which are unchristian?

What did Daniel and his three friends do when confronted with such situations? Did they give in to the pressure to OBey for the sake of security or safety or did they stand true to God willing to trust God with the outcome?

• Members

Many times it appears that way, but that's because there is only one Holy Spirit, and one dispensation (way of dealing with men). To claim that one man's conviction is from the Holy Spirit then, becomes a rebuke to the others! Why should one man be convicted of something by the Holy Spirit, if it is not something that God is not pleased with? He does not amuse Himself by convicting one person in one area, and not someone else in the same area! The only answer then, can be that one is over-hearing the Spirit, or the other is not listening!
Our God is not a wishy-washy God.

As far as political involvement, I stand on scriptural examples. Jesus paid taxes, yes, but he did not do so apparently until confronted with it; then I may have been for expedience's sake. Paul appealed to Caesar when the persecution got bad, but all the while it was in step with him preaching the gospel.

I too have written to Senators, Representatives, etc. but I usually get the same rhetoric that politicians love-- a "tell them what they want to hear" type, while the Rep. does what's he thinks is best for the party, or for himself. We don't know the pressure on them about losing face, or even their jOBs. Of course, some will say that it is still better than doing nothing, but I wonder if voting the wrong way isn't really worse than doing nothing? Luke 4: 6 where the devil was tempting Jesus in the wilderness says "And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it." Jesus did not rebuke Satan for saying that all that worldly power is given to him to give to whosoever he will! I have said before, the office is the sacred part, not the man in the office. Furthermore, a Christian will have to compromise to be an effective politician, whether he likes it or not. Somewhere down the line, he will have to compromise his convictions and standards or be black balled out of office.

Our hope IS NOT in electing the Christian men to office; it IS NOT in politics, but in soul winning on an individual basis. It is in seeking after our God, as 2 Chronicles 7:14 tells us. Say what you will, that is the remedy for a nation's sin and for OBtaining the blessing of God upon it.

This world's systems are not ours, they are run by, and belong to the world. (1 Jn. 2:15-17) That includes our secular and humanistic government.

Right on, To many Christians are entangled in the affairs of this world, this life,, and following Jesus take back seat.

2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

And they share their faith in God with faith with politician's, the U. S. Government which is not a Christian government.