• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

STEADFASTNESS

• Members

jerry, I'm not talking about working on Sundays for "more money": I'm talking about a boss jerking an old man around, who was pushing retirement, to make him work on Sundays. Sorry about your Dad but mine TOOK me to church and he was the first person in our family to be saved. If it wasn't for him, I might not be saved myself. I have been self employed now for almost 11 years so I do not have to work Sundays; I go to church whenever the doors are open. Why don't you try not being so judgmental of people who have to work secular jOBs...and drop the "us and them" attitude?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's sad to say but one of the reasons I believe my parents continue to go to Catholic church...because it's at 0730 in the morning and then they can go to garage sales. I can't for the life of me convince them to continue to go to the IFB church in their city. They'll go occasionally but how much can you expect out of someone who would rather go to garage sales than go to church? I'll keep pressing on though.

• Members

It's amazing the misunderstandings we come away with when we don't READ what people say. Then go contradicting them. You see the word "sometimes" ,sir?

Tell you what, Jerry #s. If my Dad came over to your house to see you, and saw you working in your yard, building a shed, or whatever....even if he didn't know you my Dad wouldn't just stand there watchign you while he chatted. No sir, my dad would roll up his sleeves and start helping. If you needed financial help, my Dad would help you with that too. He did that for MANY people and THAT's why he had a big funeral. And beign he wasn't a slacker, he was in great demand as a worker and helper and you certainly wouldn' find him sitting in front of a computer with 13,000+ postings on a message board.....

You certainly love accusing people of not reading your posts. I can't speak for others, but I read your posts word for word. There is nothing stating anything about being forced to work on Sundays.

I was once told by my boss I "had to" work on Sunday. After telling them I wasn't available on Sunday my boss stated that I would show up if I cared about having a jOB. I didn't work that Sunday. Come Monday my boss was furious, ranting and raving, and then saying "I told you to be here Sunday!", to which I replied, "I told you I wouldn't be there and you knew I wouldn't." My boss stormed off and it never came up again.

• Members

jerry, I'm not talking about working on Sundays for "more money": I'm talking about a boss jerking an old man around, who was pushing retirement, to make him work on Sundays. Sorry about your Dad but mine TOOK me to church and he was the first person in our family to be saved. If it wasn't for him, I might not be saved myself. I have been self employed now for almost 11 years so I do not have to work Sundays; I go to church whenever the doors are open. Why don't you try not being so judgmental of people who have to work secular jOBs...and drop the "us and them" attitude?

It's a choice whether or not we allow a boss to jerk us around regardless of our age. My Dad was setting bosses straight right up until he retired. I've had to do so a few times myself. At the same time, there are those who won't do so for various reasons.

I don't think anyone is being judgemental, just pointing out what Scripture says and the fact we all have choices to make.

• Members

You certainly love accusing people of not reading your posts. I can't speak for others, but I read your posts word for word. There is nothing stating anything about being forced to work on Sundays. I was once told by my boss I "had to" work on Sunday. After telling them I wasn't available on Sunday my boss stated that I would show up if I cared about having a jOB. I didn't work that Sunday. Come Monday my boss was furious, ranting and raving, and then saying "I told you to be here Sunday!", to which I replied, "I told you I wouldn't be there and you knew I wouldn't." My boss stormed off and it never came up again.

My Dad had a jOB with WinnDixie for over 30 years. Dad was in his late 50's and getting closer to retirement and even though he had been a faithful employee for years, they began to put him on irregular work schedules which included sometimes working on Sundays. Dad was a meat cutter, which was the only trade he had ever known, so changing jOBs was not much of an option.

Oh sorry, I didn't quote myself word for word. I guess I should have said they fitted him with a ball and chain and held a gun on him. Nah...you wouldn't have understood that either.

• Members

Whew, sometimes it gats pretty hot on this forum!

I find that if we stand our ground, and be honest with the Lord, He works things out for us. PrOBably every man that ever worked had to face the possibilities of working Sundays, and the threats that come if he doesn't. Usually they are merely threats, but fear of losing our jOBs "makes" us succumb to it; that is a travesty. Why can't we just trust God? He allowed us to work there in the first place, not the "boss" or the company! God uses jOBs to meet our needs, and bless us with extra mercies that we can share with others. He knows that we may be asked to work on the day that we set aside for the Lord's house, and He knows what we'll do. I find it just as hard to trust Him in certain matters as anyone else, but I have found that it always works out for the better when I do. I am thinking of starting another post along those lines, about how we take "shortcuts" and "loopholes" to get around direct disOBedience.

Like it or not, we know we should be in church, and especially on Sunday's. There are always conditions that we can allow to deter us; there are always examples of others who did not do what they should, and it worked out well for them (in one way at least), but all that aside, we need to stick with Jesus! Love is "sticky" in the sense that it sticks no matter what the consequences, just as it is in marriage.

Just out of curiosity, heartstrings, are you male or female? You may not want to answer that, and that is ok, but I believe you are a female by your forum name, which makes me wonder about your high-spirited posts!

Edited by irishman

• Members

When I worked for Lowe's, I told them upfront I wasn't available to work all day Sundays and Wednesday nights. They hired me as part-time and they worked me just enough to keep me part-time so they wouldn't have to pay me benefits. After a few months, the manager asked if I was interested in entering the management program. Of course, I would be, but he said I couldn't enter the management program unless I was available 7 days a week. Of course, there were other issues, such as a lot of moving around, working 7 days a week from opening to closing, and being on salary while working all those hours (a lot like the military!). I politely declined, and he kept asking, but I've discovered that even though church members don't feel they have to be in church every Sunday, they expect their pastor to be, so I had to keep turning the proposal down. Eventually, the Lord brought me an office jOB that allows me to work a normal work week, which was good for my pastoral duties and my sanity, actually.

• Members

Oh sorry, I didn't quote myself word for word. I guess I should have said they fitted him with a ball and chain and held a gun on him. Nah...you wouldn't have understood that either.

Like I said, without any anger, malice or shouting, I read your posts word for word. Being schedualed to work and being forced to work are two different things. Myself and millions of others have been schedualed to work and refused, some for godly reaons, some for other reasons, but just because one is schedualed to work doesn't mean they are forced to work.

• Members

I find that if we stand our ground, and be honest with the Lord, He works things out for us. PrOBably every man that ever worked had to face the possibilities of working Sundays, and the threats that come if he doesn't. Usually they are merely threats, but fear of losing our jOBs "makes" us succumb to it; that is a travesty. Why can't we just trust God? He allowed us to work there in the first place, not the "boss" or the company! God uses jOBs to meet our needs, and bless us with extra mercies that we can share with others. He knows that we may be asked to work on the day that we set aside for the Lord's house, and He knows what we'll do. I find it just as hard to trust Him in certain matters as anyone else, but I have found that it always works out for the better when I do. I am thinking of starting another post along those lines, about how we take "shortcuts" and "loopholes" to get around direct disOBedience.

Like it or not, we know we should be in church, and especially on Sunday's. There are always conditions that we can allow to deter us; there are always examples of others who did not do what they should, and it worked out well for them (in one way at least), but all that aside, we need to stick with Jesus! Love is "sticky" in the sense that it sticks no matter what the consequences, just as it is in marriage.

Just out of curiosity, heartstrings, are you male or female? You may not want to answer that, and that is ok, but I believe you are a female by your forum name, which makes me wonder about your high-spirited posts!

Indeed we are to put our trust in God at all times and for all things and trust Him with the outcome.

• Members

When I worked for Lowe's, I told them upfront I wasn't available to work all day Sundays and Wednesday nights. They hired me as part-time and they worked me just enough to keep me part-time so they wouldn't have to pay me benefits. After a few months, the manager asked if I was interested in entering the management program. Of course, I would be, but he said I couldn't enter the management program unless I was available 7 days a week. Of course, there were other issues, such as a lot of moving around, working 7 days a week from opening to closing, and being on salary while working all those hours (a lot like the military!). I politely declined, and he kept asking, but I've discovered that even though church members don't feel they have to be in church every Sunday, they expect their pastor to be, so I had to keep turning the proposal down. Eventually, the Lord brought me an office jOB that allows me to work a normal work week, which was good for my pastoral duties and my sanity, actually.

God is faithful to His Word. If we place our trust in Him, He will not let us down.

• Members

Now why would you think that?

1 Samuel 16:16 Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.
17And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me.
18Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him.
19Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep.

Like David, I play stringed instruments and write poetry and songs. I'm also the father of a very ladylike girl and two manly boys who all play stringed instrumentss well.
But unlike King David, I haven't stolen anyone's elses wife or murdered anyone....although I have felt like choking a couple of folks a time or two.

Are you an Irish citizen? Edited by heartstrings

• Members
<br />jerry, I'm not talking about working on Sundays for &quot;more money&quot;: I'm talking about a boss jerking an old man around, who was pushing retirement, to make him work on Sundays. Sorry about your Dad but mine TOOK me to church and he was the first person in our family to be saved. If it wasn't for him, I might not be saved myself. I have been self employed now for almost 11 years so I do not have to work Sundays; I go to church whenever the doors are open. Why don't you try not being so judgmental of people who have to work secular jOBs...and drop the &quot;us and them&quot; attitude?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm not being judgmental, I'm pointing out the way we ought to do if we love God and we are going to call Him Lord.

Heb 12:1 ¶ Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

We all have a besetting sin which easily besets us, I've had my share of them.

The trouble is we hate it when someone points out, talks against, that which besets us and or our loved ones, them when its point out by someone we call the judgemental, mean, and many times reply to them with snide remarks.

• Members

Now why would you think that?

1 Samuel 16:16 Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.
17And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me.
18Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him.
19Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep.

Like David, I play stringed instruments and write poetry and songs. I'm also the father of a very ladylike girl and two manly boys who all play stringed instrumentss well.
But unlike King David, I haven't stolen anyone's elses wife or murdered anyone....although I have felt like choking a couple of folks a time or two.

Are you an Irish citizen?

heart strings, I am not calling you a sissy, why do you take everything so personal? that is what makes you look like a woman, the high-velocity emotionalism. I will continue to consider you a female if you do not care to divulge your gender because your posts seems to be of the that persuasion--very defensive and misconstrued, not with mine only, but with many of the others too! The only reason I asked is because I have to know if I should take your rebuke with a grain of salt, or respectfully consider you as a concerned teacher of the Word; it was for me, not necessarily as a reproach to you, although it may be borderline in some cases!
Hope your attitude is feeling better.

By the way, for all concerned, "steadfastness" entails much more than merely going to church, it is a continuance of that church attitude every day, and every hour; more consistent than weekly homage.

Phi 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Edited by irishman

• Members

heart strings, I am not calling you a sissy, why do you take everything so personal? that is what makes you look like a woman, the high-velocity emotionalism I will continue to consider you a female if you do not care to divulge your gender because your posts seems to be of the that persuasion--very defensive and misconstrued, not with mine only, but with many of the others too! The only reason I asked is because I have to know if I should take your rebuke with a grain of salt, or respectfully consider you as a concerned teacher of the Word; it was for me, not necessarily as a reproach to you, although it may be borderline in some cases!
Hope your attitude is feeling better.

By the way, for all concerned, "steadfastness" entails much more than merely going to church, it is a continuance of that church attitude every day, and every hour; more consistent than weekly homage.

Phi 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Hmmm
A "father" is a man.
Have a nice day :)