• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Deuteronomy 22:5

• Members

Ewww. :icon_mrgreen: I'm guessing you won't be wearing a skirt anytime soon.

Actually, the movement is widespread and growing even here in America. One term that is used is "femulate" - men emulating women.

The thing to remember, though, is that before women began wearing pants as part of the culture, it was not socially acceptable for women to be in pants. But the women who were determined to change that wore them nonetheless...until it became a part of acceptable society. Don't kid yourself, it's gonna happen with men in skirts, too. A total confusion of the genders...we already have women with shorter hair than their husbands, women who have no modesty and can get "turned on" by sight (something that wasn't the norm not too many years back), men who are effeminate in nature, women who are uber masculine in nature, etc. The last remaining difference is the dress. But it's coming...

One can look at old movies from the 40s, and even 30s I believe, where women were featured wearing pants and other men's clothing. These women were hailed as "trend setters, mold breakers" and applauded for breaking stereotypes and proving women can be just as tough and powerful as men. I think it was Marlene Deitrich and Betty Davis, among others, who really helped to promote women getting out of dresses and into pants. We see the results of this today with even Christian women wearing "pant suits" rather than dresses. Of course the "pant suits" were based upon the suits men wore.

Most churches/Christians opposed this back then. Not many years later many were following the trend and today most accept it as normal and fine.

Someone wrote an excellent piece on this where they examined dress styles, including swimwear, and from around the 30s on, American Christians opposed the new styles when they came out but within about a decade they were adopting those styles and opposing the new current styles. Just as the worlds standards were steadily lowering, so were Christians, and the trend continues today.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ewww. :icon_mrgreen: I'm guessing you won't be wearing a skirt anytime soon.

Actually, the movement is widespread and growing even here in America. One term that is used is "femulate" - men emulating women. How sick!

The thing to remember, though, is that before women began wearing pants as part of the culture, it was not socially acceptable for women to be in pants. But the women who were determined to change that wore them nonetheless...until it became a part of acceptable society. Don't kid yourself, it's gonna happen with men in skirts, too. A total confusion of the genders...we already have women with shorter hair than their husbands, women who have no modesty and can get "turned on" by sight (something that wasn't the norm not too many years back), men who are effeminate in nature, women who are uber masculine in nature, etc. The last remaining difference is the dress. But it's coming... You're exactly right!

• Members

I don't know what you heard so I can't comment on that. The programs I've heard she based everything upon Scripture and cited and read various verses and passages regarding the topic at hand. I've never yet heard a program of hers that doesn't begin with the Scriptural foundation and expound upon that.

My point is, I've never heard her use the King James Bible! After all, that's the only scripture!

• Members

Up until about a year ago, my wife wore pants all the time. I never asked her or brought it to her as something to think about, God convicted her and she OBeyed...she now wears only skirts. If we truly listen, He is always there to help us along.

• Administrators

Someone wrote an excellent piece on this where they examined dress styles, including swimwear, and from around the 30s on, American Christians opposed the new styles when they came out but within about a decade they were adopting those styles and opposing the new current styles. Just as the worlds standards were steadily lowering, so were Christians, and the trend continues today.

I don't know if you are referring to this book or not, but it is an excellent one for many different standards (dress being the main issue): The Rise and Fall of Christian Standards. The author writes in a way that is informative, using scripture, history and current events. It's realy a very good book. I highly recommend it to anyone, regardless of their stance on pants (made a little rhyme there :lol: ).

• Members

Up until about a year ago, my wife wore pants all the time. I never asked her or brought it to her as something to think about, God convicted her and she OBeyed...she now wears only skirts. If we truly listen, He is always there to help us along.

Yes Sir, you're right!

• Members

Just a thought.

Most females now days are raised believing its a OK for women to wear anything they desire to wear. Being raised that way plants prejudices in the person heart for accepting that is not true in the sight of God. and thus they have an extremely hard time of accepting the thought its not proper for them to wear anything they desire.

I feel there will be many women who will lose rewards because of this one issue. Just think how much some females temp males simply because they refuse to dress modest.

1Co 3:11 ¶ For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

That my friends is my humble opinion on this subject. I'm simply amazed at how some of the church going women dress when they go to Walmart and or other places.

• Members

Just a thought.

Most females now days are raised believing its a OK for women to wear anything they desire to wear. Being raised that way plants prejudices in the person heart for accepting that is not true in the sight of God. and thus they have an extremely hard time of accepting the thought its not proper for them to wear anything they desire.

I feel there will be many women who will lose rewards because of this one issue. Just think how much some females temp males simply because they refuse to dress modest.

1Co 3:11 ¶ For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

That my friends is my humble opinion on this subject. I'm simply amazed at how some of the church going women dress when they go to Walmart and or other places.

From my perspective, there is an issue of OBedience to be considered with respect to dress. I don't think we have a right to wear whatever we wish regardless of how it may effect the people around us. The idea that "I can behave in whatever way I please" doesn't seem to be consistent with Scriptural injunctions.
"Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not." Isaiah 66:3b–4

• Administrators

From my perspective, there is an issue of OBedience to be considered with respect to dress. I don't think we have a right to wear whatever we wish regardless of how it may effect the people around us. The idea that "I can behave in whatever way I please" doesn't seem to be consistent with Scriptural injunctions.
"Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not." Isaiah 66:3b–4

So true, Miss Linda. The Bible teaches us that we have liberty - but we are not to use it for license or sin. Galatians 5: 1 says: "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."

Liberty (both politically and spiritually) is a protection against the oppression of tyranny. In the Christian's life, that tyranny would be the bondage of sin. I kinda look at it as liberty is a fence. We are free to roam anywhere within that fence that we desire, and we are protected because we are within the bounds of our liberty. Step outside that liberty (in the name of "freedom") and we are entangling ourselves in bondage again.

Spiritually, that liberty is the Word of God - our "fence," if you will, to protect us from the oppression of sin.

Politically, that liberty is the Constitution - all we have to do is look around at those who are crying "freedom" to do whatever they want, no matter if it's Constitutional or not...and political bondage is looming ever closer.

• Members

I love the comparison of liberty to a fence--a protection from the error outside the fence, but freedom within it's protection! If only Eve had seen things from that perspective. She had all the freedom to eat and enjoy any fruit from any tree in the garden save just the one. She chose to accept an alternative "interpretation" of the truth from the enemy of souls because she felt she was being denied the freedom to do whatever she wanted despite the clear instructions of God. I see that same dangerous attitude today: "I can do whatever I want and no one can tell me otherwise! I don't care what anyone else thinks!" I think the evil spirit that inspired Eve to disOBey is the same spirit that draws us out of the protection of God's teachings.

• Members

Many good posts! :thumb:

Along with the idea of OBedience is the word so many Christian women hate: submission. This word has been distored by feminists (both those in the world and those in the church) to mean a woman being a doormat. That's not the biblical meaning and it's a shame that even when a preacher does mention submission he often spends more time trying to convince women what he doesn't mean that little is actually said as to what submission does mean.

Unless we are willing to submit our self (our will, our desires, our wants, out lusts, out selfishness) to the Lordship of Christ we won't be OBeying the Word.

Submission is generally thought of as a bad word, something women should avoid because women are supposed to be strong and liberated today. That's not Bible! According to the Bible both women AND men are to submit to Christ as Lord and OBey His Word.

Why is such so rarely preached anymore? Why are so many pastors fearful to preach the whole counsel of God? Why remain silent while the women in the church dress inappropriately in church and even worse out of church? Why preach so much about men needing to control their eyes and not lust while not at the same time preaching that women should dress modestly and give no occasion for a man to lust after her because of her attire?

Christianity in America has become far too Americanized. American Christians want Christianity their own way. They want to Christians while claiming their independence and freedom to do nearly anything they want.

While visiting a church a few years ago a woman in the church came up to me wear a pretty blue dress that was VERY low cut. As she was speaking ot me she dropped something and when she bent to retreive it (not a squat to pick it up, a full bend), I was so thankful my son wasn't standing next to me and so glad I wasn't an immature Christian. :o

Another woman I saw in church was wearing a mini-skirt (yes, a mini-skirt!) which was so short and tight she could barely sit down.

Why do the pastors allow this? Are there no older (mature) Christian women to speak to them? Do none of them have fathers, brothers, husbands or any man who can see what their style of dress reflects and try to set them right?

Yes, I know many women have been confronted with Scripture, and reality, yet they proclaim their freedom to dress the way they like and proclaim if anyone lusts it's because they are weak.

Question: Why dress like that if you are not trying to get men to notice? How many of these professing Christian women are lying when they claim they are not trying to attract men by the way they dress?

Pride, lying, lust, putting oneself above God...there are a lot of sins tied up in this.

• Members

P.S., I won't be wearing skirts anytime soon, that's for sure! Actually, never!

Mitch, If I were to buy a skirt or dress, designed for men, sold in the men's section of a store, would it them be A OK, acceptable, for me to wear such a skirt or dress, any where I desire to go? Even to church, even standing behind the pulpit as pastor of a New Testament Church?

No, never wore one, never had the desire to wear one.

• Members
If I were to buy a skirt or dress, designed for men, sold in the men's section of a store, would it them be A OK, acceptable, for me to wear such a skirt or dress, any where I desire to go?

While this prOBably won't happen in our lifetimes and for another couple of generations after us, it could be possible that our society would accept skirts for men. They wouldn't be called skirts, of course; prOBably something like "kilts" maybe. Look at how modesty standards have changed over the last 100 years, even among IFB folks.
Even to church, even standing behind the pulpit as pastor of a New Testament Church?

What if you were conducting services in the Scottish highlands? The formal attire could be kilts for men. Now, they would prOBably defer to your sensitivities and not force you to wear a kilt, but your messages from God might have more impact if you deferred to their culture.

• Members

Just a thought.

Excellent post and to me, it makes perfect sense!