• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Deuteronomy 22:5

• Members

Miss Linda, I am on your side! We all know that you did not deliberately try to cause a stink, but I am glad you posted that. I am glad to see that there many others of the same persuasion who take the Bible for what it says and don't try to filter it through human wisdom.

Good Post :clapping:

Do you always take the Bible "for what it says" without filtering it through "human wisdom"?

Duet. 13:6-10, "If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which [is] as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
7 [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth;
8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage."

I Cor. 14:34, "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak."

Matt. 23:9, "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven"

Duet. 23:1-2, "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD."

Maybe these folks believe the Bible just as much as you do, but they just don't think it's saying what you're claiming it is saying. Just because someone has a different interpritation than you doesn't mean they don't take it for what it says.

I take it for what it says just as much as anyone on this board, I just don't think it's saying what you're claiming it's saying.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Do you always take the Bible "for what it says" without filtering it through "human wisdom"?

Duet. 13:6-10, "If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which [is] as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
7 [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth;
8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage."

I Cor. 14:34, "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak."

Matt. 23:9, "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven"

Duet. 23:1-2, "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD."

Maybe these folks believe the Bible just as much as you do, but they just don't think it's saying what you're claiming it is saying. Just because someone has a different interpritation than you doesn't mean they don't take it for what it says.

I take it for what it says just as much as anyone on this board, I just don't think it's saying what you're claiming it's saying.

Could you clarify this please?

• Members

Could you clarify this please?

Just pointing out that you have to compare Scripture with Scripture and you have you use your head when interpreting the Bible.

If you don't, you'll wind up with wild Thomas Cooper style interpretations:

Duet. 13:6-10 clearly states that we are to kill people that try to proselyte us to other gods and religions.

I Cor. 14:34 teaches us that women are not allowed to speak at all while in church.

Matt. 23:9 is very clear that we had better not call our dads, "Father".

Duet 23:1-2 prohibits those with a particular medical situation from attending church, as well as those who don't know who their dads are.

Those interpretations can be clearly ascertained by reading those verses and failing to rightly divide, compare Scripture with Scripture, and using your head. My point is this, while claiming that Deut. 22:5 is talking about women wearing pants doesn't compare or come close to these wild and crazy interpretations, at the same time saying that Duet. 22:5 ISN'T talking about women wearing pants is certainly NOT "failing to believe God and take the Bible for what it says".

• Members

Just pointing out that you have to compare Scripture with Scripture and you have you use your head when interpreting the Bible.

Duet. 13:6-10 clearly states that we are to kill people that try to proselyte us to other gods and religions.

I Cor. 14:34 teaches us that women are not allowed to speak at all while in church.

Duet 23:1-2 prohibits those with a particular medical situation from attending church, as well as those who don't know who their dads are.

Those interpretations can be clearly ascertained by reading those verses and failing to rightly divide, compare Scripture with Scripture, and using your head. My point is this, while claiming that Deut. 22:5 is talking about women wearing pants doesn't compare or come close to these wild and crazy interpretations, at the same time saying that Duet. 22:5 ISN'T talking about women wearing pants is certainly NOT "failing to believe God and take the Bible for what it says".

Rick,
I am sorry if what I said offends you, or even rubs you the wrong way to some extent, but I wasn't born yesterday! I have studied the Bible, and given my life to the study of it for many years now, and I am convinced that there is more to Deut. 22:5 than most like to see. It is definitely a controversial subject.

We must be careful, I believe, of searching the context so emphatically that we miss out on the "content" of scripture. This often happens in these types of discussions. In Proverbs, for example, the immediate text does not always clarify the thought presented. We like to separate other parts of Deuteronomy and say that they are "judicial law" or "ceremonial law" and break it all up into pieces, but when we do that with v. 25, everyone gets their dander up! I don't get it.

I feel this has been discussed quite thoroughly in another post, sometime back, and the lines have been drawn. It seems to be an endless debate; good points brought out on both sides, but others need to see both sides for themselves. Too many people shy away from this particular standard, and it has become vogue, or common-place to explain away the verse in question and make it fit today,s modern world.

You encourage your family in the way you feel is right, and I will lead mine in the way I feel the Lord would have me to go concern this issue. We would be wise to leave it at that,I believe.

By the way, please don't imply that others are not "rightly dividing" the Word, and "using their heads". In so doing you do the same thing you accuse them of. Edited by irishman

• Members

Okay, now I see what you are trying to say.

The two verses from Deuteronomy are not applicable to us. The first verse you cited was a matter of civil law the Jews were to abide by. The second verse was also specifically for the OT Jewish system regarding the tabernacle/temple.

The Corinithians verse is defined within the immediate context.

Why would there be a prOBlem not calling anyone on earth father?

While you may or may not have a point with the position you are taking, these verses don't help you cause.

• Members

Rick,
I am sorry if what I said offends you, or even rubs you the wrong way to some extent, but I wasn't born yesterday! I have studied the Bible, and given my life to the study of it for many years now, and I am convinced that there is more to Deut. 22:5 than most like to see. It is definitely a controversial subject.

We must be careful, I believe, of searching the context so emphatically that we miss out on the "content" of scripture. This often happens in these types of discussions. In Proverbs, for example, the immediate text does not always clarify the thought presented. We like to separate other parts of Deuteronomy and say that they are "judicial law" or "ceremonial law" and break it all up into pieces, but when we do that with v. 25, everyone gets their dander up! I don't get it.

I feel this has been discussed quite thoroughly in another post, sometime back, and the lines have been drawn. It seems to be an endless debate; good points brought out on both sides, but others need to see both sides for themselves. Too many people shy away from this particular standard, and it has become vogue, or common-place to explain away the verse in question and make it fit today,s modern world.

You encourage your family in the way you feel is right, and I will lead mine in the way I feel the Lord would have me to go concern this issue. We would be wise to leave it at that,I believe.

By the way, please don't imply that others are not "rightly dividing" the Word, and "using their heads". In so doing you do the same thing you accuse them of.

I think I would like to make Irishman's post the last word on this thread. When I started this thread back in July, I never imagined the thread would continue through the summer and into autumn, and would cover so many pages. Just when I think the thread has finally ended and we have all had a chance to voice our opinions, it revives again. I think this issue has been discussed thoroughly and every side of the issue has been presented and debated.

I have been edified and enlightened by the discussion here, and appreciate all the input and debate that has gone on. I also appreciate the patience and forbearance of the moderators who permitted this thread to be opened and continued. This discussion has strengthened and confirmed my own understanding and for that I am grateful to everyone who has contributed.

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith; Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2).

May God grant each of us the patience to run the race before us and endure faithfully to the end.