• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Deuteronomy 22:5

• Members

If I may, I would like to request the guidance of others on this Forum regarding the issue of gender-specific dress.

A few years ago, when I read Deuteronomy 22:5, “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God” I took that instruction to heart and stopped wearing trousers.

Occasionally, I come across women (usually women from my place of employment but this would also happen at the Southern Baptist Church I used to attend) who ask me why I never wear pants but only long skirts and dresses. I would show them Deut. 22:5 and I would be accused of being too legalistic and narrow-minded on this point. I can truly say that my motive has not been legalism, but rather a sincere, deeply-rooted desire to please God in every aspect of my life including the issue of dress.

Those who disagree with my interpretation of Deut. 22:5 have countered with I Samuel 16:7, "But the Lord said unto Samuel, 'Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.'" The people who feel they are not bound by Deut. 22:5 use this Scripture to indicate that God does not care what a person wears, he looks “on the heart.”

My argument to that has been that if God did not care whether women wore men’s clothing, or vice versa, he would not have added the injunction found in Deut. 22:5 to the Scriptures. The verse in I Samuel pertains specifically to the prophet Samuel identifying David as the future king of Israel. It seems to me that it is incorrect to use the verse in I Samuel as a carte blanche argument against OBeying the rather clear teachings in the Scripture about modesty and appropriate dress.

Is my thinking on this issue flawed? To me, the Scriptures seem quite clear, but if I am mis-interpreting this issue or if my perspective on this matter is flawed I would appreciate being corrected.

Edited by Miss Linda

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If I may, I would like to request the guidance of others on this Forum regarding the issue of gender-specific dress.

A few years ago, when I read Deuteronomy 22:5, “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God” I took that instruction to heart and stopped wearing trousers.

Occasionally, I come across women (usually women from my place of employment but this would also happen at the Southern Baptist Church I used to attend) who ask me why I never wore pants but only long skirts and dresses. I would show them Deut. 22:5 and I would be accused of being too legalistic and narrow-minded on this point. I can truly say that my motive has not been legalism, but rather a sincere, deeply-rooted desire to please God in every aspect of my life including the issue of dress.

Those who disagree with my interpretation of Deut. 22:5 have countered with I Samuel 1:13, “But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.’” The people who feel they are not bound by Deut. 22:5 use this Scripture to indicate that God does not care what a person wears, he looks “on the heart.”

My argument to that has been that if God did not care whether women wore men’s clothing, or vice versa, he would not have added the injunction found in Deut. 22:5 to the Scriptures. The verse in I Samuel pertains specifically to the prophet Samuel identifying David as the future king of Israel. It seems to me that it is incorrect to use the verse in I Samuel as a carte blanche argument against OBeying the rather clear teachings in the Scripture about modesty and appropriate dress.

Is my thinking on this issue flawed? To me, the Scriptures seem quite clear, but if I am mis-interpreting this issue or if my perspective on this matter is flawed I would appreciate being corrected.

Sis, you're right on target! Praise the LORD, for you're stand! Praise the LORD, you're letting Him work in your heart and life! In the words of Evangelist Dr. Larry K. Raynes, "people need to see our song!"

• Members

Yes Miss Linda, God does indeed care about what we wear. We are to dress modestly and wear attire that pertains to whether we are male or female.

Those who attempt to use I Samuel 1:13 to refute this are grossly twisting Scripture. This verse has nothing at all to do with proper dress. The verse pertains to who will rule Israel and God correctly warns that outward appearance doesn't tell what's important in a leader but rather what's in their heart.

We are to do all things to the glory of God...does our dress bring glory to God or shame?

We are to avoid all apearance of evil...does our dress give occasion to evil or is it biblical?

We are to consider others above ourselves and to present no stumbling block for them...does our dress show that we have considered others above our own selfish desires, do we dress so as not to be a possible stumbling block?

We are to dress modestly...are we dressed in a modest manner or does the way we dress draw attention to our bodies in a way that could provoke lust?

These are a few biblical matters we should all consider.

• Administrators

Many folk say that since men wore rOBes then, they weren't really gender specific. But they would be wrong. The rOBes worn by the men were quite different from the rOBes worn by the women. The women's rOBes were decorated femininely, for one thing. Also, the men had girdles (like modern day belts) on the outside of their rOBes, so that they could hoist their rOBes into pant-like garments, held in place by the girdle, if they needed to run.

Deut. 22:5 was written specifically in reference to the pagan worship practices amongst the people with whom the Israelites dwelt. It was common for the men and women to switch clothing - the women would put on the men's clothing (usually armor) and the men would don the women's before they went in to worship. Interesting thing to note: many people claim that it's an abmonition for women to wear men's clothes...but that isn't what scripture says! It says that those who DO are an abomination. But it also says men who don women's clothing are an abomination (something that is also often overlooked...and men putting on dresses is often part of "funny" skits - even amongst Christians).

Again, many say that this verse cannot be applied to pants wearing by women. And I can understand how they think - I do not in any way condemn a woman who wears pants. I know some fine Christian women who do. Simply put: whether or not a Christian woman wears pants is between her, her husband and her God. Since there is no straight injunction against it, we cannot condemn it. However...

In Genesis, when God clothed Adam and Eve, the word that is used for cloak means "a long, flowing garment." So, from the beginning, God clothed man and woman both in loose clothing...not tight pants (not even loose pants). When the clothing a woman wears outlines her form, that is disOBeying the injunction for modesty that is in the NT. Even though men aren't told to be modest, I believe that God does not approve of men wearing tight clothing, either.

I would recommend a very, very good book on this matter: The Fall and Rise of Christian Standards. The author does a very good jOB of presenting scripture and history to show how Christian standards have plummetted.

Many say that they would stop wearing pants if God convicted them of it. But somethimes God doesn't convict us until we just simply do...He knows our hearts, and the majority (not all, please note - I'm not attacking anyone) who say they would stop if convicted don't WANT to be convicted...and that's true about many things besides clothing!

• Members

Many folk say that since men wore rOBes then, they weren't really gender specific. But they would be wrong. The rOBes worn by the men were quite different from the rOBes worn by the women. The women's rOBes were decorated femininely, for one thing. Also, the men had girdles (like modern day belts) on the outside of their rOBes, so that they could hoist their rOBes into pant-like garments, held in place by the girdle, if they needed to run.

Deut. 22:5 was written specifically in reference to the pagan worship practices amongst the people with whom the Israelites dwelt. It was common for the men and women to switch clothing - the women would put on the men's clothing (usually armor) and the men would don the women's before they went in to worship. Interesting thing to note: many people claim that it's an abmonition for women to wear men's clothes...but that isn't what scripture says! It says that those who DO are an abomination. But it also says men who don women's clothing are an abomination (something that is also often overlooked...and men putting on dresses is often part of "funny" skits - even amongst Christians).

Again, many say that this verse cannot be applied to pants wearing by women. And I can understand how they think - I do not in any way condemn a woman who wears pants. I know some fine Christian women who do. Simply put: whether or not a Christian woman wears pants is between her, her husband and her God. Since there is no straight injunction against it, we cannot condemn it. However...

In Genesis, when God clothed Adam and Eve, the word that is used for cloak means "a long, flowing garment." So, from the beginning, God clothed man and woman both in loose clothing...not tight pants (not even loose pants). When the clothing a woman wears outlines her form, that is disOBeying the injunction for modesty that is in the NT. Even though men aren't told to be modest, I believe that God does not approve of men wearing tight clothing, either.

I would recommend a very, very good book on this matter: The Fall and Rise of Christian Standards. The author does a very good jOB of presenting scripture and history to show how Christian standards have plummetted.

Many say that they would stop wearing pants if God convicted them of it. But somethimes God doesn't convict us until we just simply do...He knows our hearts, and the majority (not all, please note - I'm not attacking anyone) who say they would stop if convicted don't WANT to be convicted...and that's true about many things besides clothing!

Excellent post LuAnne!!! :thumb:

Earlier this year, in another church some friends children attend, three youth pastors from area churches showed up in dresses. The kids in VBS were challenged to raise a certain amoung of money and if they did the youth pastors would show up to the ending event wearing dresses. My first thought upon seeing this was, "How wrong, this is just wrong!" It seemed pretty much everybody in attendance liked it and each youth pastor even took the stage and talked for a bit in their dresses.

I'm in absolute agreement regarding men and modesty. I changed the way I dressed years ago. I've worked around a lot of women and know how they talk of men in certain types of clothes. Men understand this too, as do advertisers which is why so much is spent by and for men to go for that "sexy" look. This is immodest and involves a variety of sins.

As with you, I know some good Christian women who wear pants. I've not confronted them about this (it's not my place) but others have spoken to them about it and for the most part it comes down to them thinking there is nothing wrong with them wearing pants and if men lust after them or if some stumble because of it, or some view it in a way which causes some to not think well of the church they attend, it's not their fault for wearing pants but everyone elses fault for not being as spiritually mature as they are.

You are very correct that God doesn't always directly convict us that "this is sin and you must stop now!". Sometimes it isn't until after we've made a change that God really or fully opens our eyes to something. The same is true of my own change in the way I dress. It wasn't until after I changed my choice of clothing that I really began to "see" how the way I dressed hadn't been appropriate.

One bad trend I've seen among many churches is the failure to, or even fear to, confront women on any many matters. Today I see women dressed like men or wearing very immodest clothing to church, women with buzz haircuts (this often accompanies those wearing men's style clothing) in the church, and often these women hold some position in the church (Sunday school teacher, music ministry, children's or youth, etc.), and the pastors won't speak to them about these things and they certainly won't preach a Bible based sermon on the topic.

Anyway, great post LuAnne!

• Members

Occasionally, I come across women (usually women from my place of employment but this would also happen at the Southern Baptist Church I used to attend) who ask me why I never wore pants but only long skirts and dresses. I would show them Deut. 22:5 and I would be accused of being too legalistic and narrow-minded on this point. I can truly say that my motive has not been legalism, but rather a sincere, deeply-rooted desire to please God in every aspect of my life including the issue of dress.

Those who disagree with my interpretation of Deut. 22:5 have countered with I Samuel 1:13, “But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.’” The people who feel they are not bound by Deut. 22:5 use this Scripture to indicate that God does not care what a person wears, he looks “on the heart.”

First, miss Linda, we only post the KJB here, nothing else is encouraged or welcome. (I am not a moderator, so I hope I am ot overstepping my bounds!).

Secondly, i seem to have lost the text! My Bible has 1 Sam 1:13 as: "Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken." Perhaps I missed something? I believe you wanted:

1Sa 16:7 "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."

Thirdly, let me encourage you to keep looking like a lady! You will get all sorts of answers concerning Deut. 22:5, but the bottom line is, regardless of who it is referring to, IT IS AN ABOMINATION. Some say it referred to cross-dressers, and etc., but those (i believe) were invented because of unbelief of the scriptures. I am amazed at how a big a prOBlem this is among Christian men and ladies, why not just wear dresses, and you don't have to worry about interpretations? You won't be wrong to wear a dress (if you are a lady!)

• Members

First, miss Linda, we only post the KJB here, nothing else is encouraged or welcome. (I am not a moderator, so I hope I am ot overstepping my bounds!).

Secondly, i seem to have lost the text! My Bible has 1 Sam 1:13 as: "Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken." Perhaps I missed something? I believe you wanted:

1Sa 16:7 "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."

Thirdly, let me encourage you to keep looking like a lady! You will get all sorts of answers concerning Deut. 22:5, but the bottom line is, regardless of who it is referring to, IT IS AN ABOMINATION. Some say it referred to cross-dressers, and etc., but those (i believe) were invented because of unbelief of the scriptures. I am amazed at how a big a prOBlem this is among Christian men and ladies, why not just wear dresses, and you don't have to worry about interpretations? You won't be wrong to wear a dress (if you are a lady!)

Brother, that's an excellent post! However, she prOBably just slipped up, in her verse quote. We've all done it! From what I've seen of Miss Linda, I don't believe she'd use just a book!

• Members

It is always encouraging to see a lady dress like a lady, and do with a good heart of submissiveness to the Lord!

You know, I've been thinking a lot lately about the subject of standards. It's really like anything else, so much comes down to the heart. If people's hearts are open to the Lord's leading, and they're willing to listen to the word of God and biblical counsel from other Christians, they'll wind up where they need to be.

It's a blessing to see a lady who has this standard but does it with the right heart. There are plenty of stubborn Sadducees out there, stubborn and hard hearted in their approach to standards, and plenty of people who are self righteous in their standards. Standard do not give someone a better relationship with God, an open heart of willingness and yieldingness to Him gives them a better relationship with Him. Standards are just a byproduct of that.

I don't go so far with you on this that I would say pants on women are bad. I will say this though, more and more my wife doesn't wear pants because of the fact that it's so hard to find any that are modest. We may reach the point where we get rid of all her pants, but we're not there yet.

I don't agree with your interpretation of that verse in Duet. I don't believe that pants pertain only to men; I think they pertain to both sexes. I think all that verse is talking about is dressing in drag. I think there are male teens who wear pants that are disOBeying this verse, they're called emos. I always say, being an emo is just an excuse for boys to dress like girls.

What is a blessing is that though our interpretations are different on this; our hearts are still in the same place. Wanting to do what pleases God. In that we can have unity regardless of where we draw the lines.

When it comes to the issue of women's clothing I believe the emphasis needs to be where God put the emphasis - on modesty. As a teenager, I attended a church that preached heavily against "britches" on women. So the women all wore tight skirts and shirts. This is where I get back to the heart. If a woman's heart is to OBey God and OBey the principle of modesty, they're not going to wear tight clothing whether it's pants, skirts, shirts, or whatever.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

How about: Deut 22:11 "Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sort, as of woolen and linen together."

I Cor 11:5 "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven."

I Cor 11:15 "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." Is short hair wrong? How short is too short?

We should be very careful when we single out one verse to justify our beliefs; Especially from the OT. This is a major technique that cults and false religions use for building their doctrine(s).

• Members

How about: Deut 22:11 "Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sort, as of woolen and linen together."

I Cor 11:5 "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven."

I Cor 11:15 "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." Is short hair wrong? How short is too short?

We should be very careful when we single out one verse to justify our beliefs; Especially from the OT. This is a major technique that cults and false religions use for building their doctrine(s).

Of course women should have their head covered when praying. One of the big arguments has been whether long hair counts as a covering or if women should wear something. It really wasn't that many years ago when most women did wear a covering to church. The rise of feminism seems to have changed this along with other changes in dress and behaviour among women attending church.

Of course women should have long hair. If one has to wonder if their hair is long enough, then it isn't. A woman's hair should be OBviously long just as a man's hair should be OBviously short.

The Deut. verse, taken in context, applied to ancient Israel only.

• Members

This was a spiritual picture as were many OT laws. Indeed nearly all if not all of the ceremonial laws were a picture. So many Christians act as if the OT law is worthless today since Christ fulfilled the law(don't know if your of that persuasion or not) but in reality through pictures it gives a detailed account of what God expects from NT believers. The NT truth this particular law is picturing is that Christians should not allow the world to be mixed into their lives.

This is speaking of having short hair evidently when one drops down to verse 15.

Yes, for a woman the light of scripture would say that she should not have short hair just as the same passage says a man should not have long hair. How short is to short for a woman and how long is to long for a man? That is the wrong question. I doubt very much that God is pleased with someone trying to figure out just how close they can come to the line and still "get by" with God. God is giving a general guideline of what pleases him not a precise law. Since scripture gives no precise hair length neither should we. However for those who really want to know out of a desire to please God in all ways possible and are not wanting a precise length just to get as close to the line as they can a basic principle is to stay far enough away from the line to where there is no doubt you hair is long if your a woman and their is no doubt your hair is short if your a man.

A valid point, but we should be equally careful not to reject verses out of hand just because they are only mentioned in one or two places. Mat 5:19 should be considered. God does place value on it when believers out of a pure heart are careful in keeping his written will for their lives.
Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Dear Irishman,

Thank you so very much for pointing out the error in the verse I cited in I Samuel. I think my fingers were tripping over themselves when I was trying to type the chapter and verse. Thank you also for pointing out that I had used some strange translation in my original post. I am afraid I was trying to save a little time by copying the verse from my Bible study software, which automatically brings up several "alternative translations" when I type in a Scripture verse. I am afraid I wasn't paying attention, and copied the verse from some strange translation and didn't realize it. I have edited my original post to correct those errors.

My deepest, most heartfelt desire is to be an OBedient follower of Christ in every area of my life, and I sincerely appreciate the input given by the people here. "Give me understanding, and I shall keep Thy law; yea, I shall OBserve it with my whole heart. Make me to go in the path of Thy commandments; for therein do I delight." (Ps 119:34–35)

I have already learned so much from all of you and I feel truly blessed to be part of this forum!

• Members

Dear Irishman,

Thank you so very much for pointing out the error in the verse I cited in I Samuel. I think my fingers were tripping over themselves when I was trying to type the chapter and verse. Thank you also for pointing out that I had used some strange translation in my original post. I am afraid I was trying to save a little time by copying the verse from my Bible study software, which automatically brings up several "alternative translations" when I type in a Scripture verse. I am afraid I wasn't paying attention, and copied the verse from some strange translation and didn't realize it. I have edited my original post to correct those errors.

My deepest, most heartfelt desire is to be an OBedient follower of Christ in every area of my life, and I sincerely appreciate the input given by the people here. "Give me understanding, and I shall keep Thy law; yea, I shall OBserve it with my whole heart. Make me to go in the path of Thy commandments; for therein do I delight." (Ps 119:34–35)

I have already learned so much from all of you and I feel truly blessed to be part of this forum!

I like your wording..."some strange translation"! Just wasn't sure if you knew the rule about KJB only. Uh, don't worry about getting the wrong verse, others answered you, and they referred to the same one! Ha! I do it too though, but hopefully not too often!

By the way, If you are searching for the truth to Deut. 22:5, then you must not feel comfortable in jeans! Praise the Lord! go with your heart. No matter what anyone says, the other laws there are no abominable to God, which is a very strong word. I believe that Deut. 22:5 and the lack of practicing it as it is written, without all those fancy interpretations, is the embryo of the homosexual movement. Perhaps that is why it's an "abomination" to God.

• Members

I like your wording..."some strange translation"! Just wasn't sure if you knew the rule about KJB only. Uh, don't worry about getting the wrong verse, others answered you, and they referred to the same one! Ha! I do it too though, but hopefully not too often!

By the way, If you are searching for the truth to Deut. 22:5, then you must not feel comfortable in jeans! Praise the Lord! go with your heart. No matter what anyone says, the other laws there are no abominable to God, which is a very strong word. I believe that Deut. 22:5 and the lack of practicing it as it is written, without all those fancy interpretations, is the embryo of the homosexual movement. Perhaps that is why it's an "abomination" to God.

No, I really don't feel right wearing pants of any kind (but I sincerely hope my saying so does not offend anyone who has posted on this thread). If I want to dress casually I wear a casual skirt. I don't wear jeans but I have made a couple of denim skirts--I make almost all my clothes now because it is so very difficult to find modest ready-to-wear clothing. For a long time now I have only worn dresses and skirts. I think it is particularly important for me to dress modestly because I do work in an office and I do interact regularly with both men and women from various backgrounds. In a situation like that I think it is particularly important to pay careful attention to modest dress and deportment not just for the sake of living my faith but also for the protection of my person and my reputation. What good would my long skirts do me, if I behaved in a flirtatious manner or if, although I didn't wear pants, I behaved aggressively or assertively as if I were a man? As other, wiser people have noted in this thread, I see dress and deportment as equally important in seeking to be modest.

• Members

I would like to recommend a book, "Your Clothes say it for you," by Elizabeth Rice Handford. It lays this subject out quite well and this woman stated it quite well why women should not wear that which pertaineth to man.

Its a Sword of the Lord Book. Click on the above link and it will take you to Sword of the Lord and that book, other places has it for sale to, I do not know if there is a difference in price. When I order this book back in 98 I got several copies of it, giving some to individuals and a couple of them to church libraries.