• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anime

• Members

Rick, just so I understand where you are coming from, do you also denounce every other work of literature/film which centers around fanciful magic (like Cinderella and other fairy tales, A Christmas Carol and other classics, and the work of Lewis, Tolkien, and MacDonald)? If not, how do you distinguish between them? Do you think that waving a magic wand and uttering the words, "Bibbity, BOBbity, Boo," to change rags to a gown is any different than waving a magic wand and uttering, "Accio," to acquire an OBject?

I guess what I don't understand is how you can equate what Scripture is talking about (Satan worship, paganism, child sacrifice, ordering one's life around superstition, etc.) with fictional/fantastic literature that has no basis in true reality, and uses fanciful magic merely as a plot device.

If we are strong enough, yes, completely get rid of the TV and all books that have anything to do with witchcraft or magic. I'm surely not strong enough, I pray one day I'll have the strength and mind to get rid of my TV and everything else that brings garbage into my house.

It's definitely a tough subject and I find myself drawn to Lewis and Tolkien but in reality...I don't find it brings us any closer to God or really does anything for us spiritually so it must be for the flesh. One of the toughest subjects I've ever come across...I know what I should do (throw the TV out the window) but I just don't do it.

• Members

Rick, just so I understand where you are coming from, do you also denounce every other work of literature/film which centers around fanciful magic (like Cinderella and other fairy tales, A Christmas Carol and other classics, and the work of Lewis, Tolkien, and MacDonald)? If not, how do you distinguish between them? Do you think that waving a magic wand and uttering the words, "Bibbity, BOBbity, Boo," to change rags to a gown is any different than waving a magic wand and uttering, "Accio," to acquire an OBject?

I guess what I don't understand is how you can equate what Scripture is talking about (Satan worship, paganism, child sacrifice, ordering one's life around superstition, etc.) with fictional/fantastic literature that has no basis in true reality, and uses fanciful magic merely as a plot device.

Witchcraft is "true reality" and not something to be toyed with. In high school a friend was toying with various aspects of witchcraft, things went wrong and his house burned down.

There have been those who practice witchcraft (by a variety of names) in this area who are known to have accomplished "magical" things.

If one proclaims fictional witchcraft to be acceptable, then that would logically extend to fictional works depicting "good" homosexuality or "good" adultery.

• Members

Let's keep this topic on Anime.

Anyone, feel free to start a Harry Potter thread. Just trying to keep this organized. :saint2:

Not disagreeing, just asking. Isn't anime and Harry Potter linked by the magic/witchcraft aspect? It seemed to me this was the main issue against anime, to which someone mentioned Harry Potter is a more readily noticable example of the ill effects of children involving themselves with magic/witchcraft.

I wasn't saved until I was 18 and in my own childhood I was drawn to cartoons, books, TV shows and movies that featured "powers" (magic/witchcraft). They all share a common thread, a common theme, yet the end of them is the same.

• Members

I just saw online that there's an Anime Bible coming out.

I hope it's better than most of the cartoon Bible's out there!

One thing that amazes me is how for centuries children not only read and grasped the actual Bible itself, but a great many even learned to read using the Bible; yet today we are told adults can't understand the KJB and children can't understand any "adult" Bible so they must have "children's Bibles", cartoon Bibles, story Bible, etc.

I wonder how much better off children would be if they were fed the pure milk of the Word early and grew into partaking of the meat of the Word as they grew in the Word?

• Administrators

Not disagreeing, just asking. Isn't anime and Harry Potter linked by the magic/witchcraft aspect? It seemed to me this was the main issue against anime, to which someone mentioned Harry Potter is a more readily noticable example of the ill effects of children involving themselves with magic/witchcraft.

Magic/witchcraft is the main issue, so would it not be beneficial to talk about the magic/witchcraft in anime instead of HP?

• Members

Magic/witchcraft is the main issue, so would it not be beneficial to talk about the magic/witchcraft in anime instead of HP?

Fine with me! :icon_mrgreen:

Especially with regards to younger children the maginc/witchcraft in anime can be far more dangerous and badly influencial than in HP as they tend to be exposed to it much more. The cartoon channel and I think even Boomerrang both run anime programs. The mystical use of magic/witchcraft permeates and it's presented as if there is good magic/witchcraft as well as bad when in reality they are one and the same.

Kind of like how many programs, from sitcoms to dramas, depict there being good witches as well as bad or even good vampires as well as bad.

In other words, as the Bible warns, we are seeing evil called good, and this aimed directly at very young children through anime as well as a variety of other venues.

• Members

If I had kids, my answer would be prOBably not. I found a website that has reviews on different anime shows. Here is his main page:

http://www.hugglebunny.com/animereviews/

This is his review page:

http://www.hugglebunny.com/animereviews/reviews.php

While I may not agree with the mans stance, I believe he gives honest reviews.

• Members

If I had kids, my answer would be prOBably not. I found a website that has reviews on different anime shows. Here is his main page:

http://www.hugglebunny.com/animereviews/

This is his review page:

http://www.hugglebunny.com/animereviews/reviews.php

While I may not agree with the mans stance, I believe he gives honest reviews.

Thank you for the helpful links! I was reminded of the names of a couple of anime programs I'd encountered before and that was helpful too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, Being an Otaku (Slang for someone who likes Anime), I can tell you some good animes in that are neutral religiously, you aren't going to find many that are Pro Christian since Christianity is still a small minority in Japan, smaller than the amount of Log Cabin republicans in the US.

-Azumanga Daioh

Its about a group of High School girls through out their three years of High School (High School is only three years in Japan) and all the wacky events that occur in everyday situations. I must warn you, there is a creep of a teacher, Kimura-Sensei but he is there mostly for comic relief.

-Cowboy Bebop

About bounty hunters from Mars trying to take down criminals.

-Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion

Its about a post Apocalyptic world after Antarctica Melts, involves alot of Christian Imagery and Giant ROBots. After the 13th Episode it becomes a Psychological show because the creator/director suffered a nervous break down.

-Fruits Basket

Its about a girl who becomes acquainted with a family of cursed individuals where when ever they are hugged by someone of the opposite sex, they turn into an animal. WARNING, there is a cross dressing character, a homoerotic character who is also a perv, and some cussing.

-K-on

Its about a group of friends who start a rock band.

-Lucky Star

Like Azumanga Daioh, but has a more cute art style and omits the pervy teacher.

-Outlaw Star

Its like Star Trek, but in Anime form

-Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)

Its about a former Manslayer (a Samurai who pledged aligence to a Shogun during the Meji revolution), who has refused to kill. It is a silly show at many points, but Christians should avoid the third season since there is a story ark about the persecution of Christians during the Tokugawa and Meiji eras of Japan (A Brutal scene where hundreds of Japanese Christians are crucified along the coast). The OVAs are very depressing, and very violent and gory a huge foil to the silly more light hearted show.

-Anything by Miyazaki, Its a give in since Disney has optioned all of his movies except for TWO (Lupin III: The Castle of Coglistro, and Grave of the Fireflies)

-Excel Saga

Its a parody series, no actual plot to speak of. Some episodes become sexual, but mostly just mind numbing comedy. Avoid the LAST EPISODE (EPisode 26)

Ones Christians SHOULD AVOID

-Berserk

A blood and gore story ending in a Character becoming a devil and brutally raping another character.

-Golden Boy

A Sexual comedy, really funny but not one to have out with kids around.

-A Kite

A Drama involving a girl who's parents were murdered, the killer takes her as an apprentice assassin, and a lover. It boarders on Hentai.

-Serial Experinents Lain

A story where a girl has to kill the god of the internet to keep her friends from killing themselves.

-ChOBits

A funny story that changes into Romance (a staple of a CLAMP release). It involves ideas of love between rOBots and humans.

-Dokuro-Chan

Uses violence for comedy as a character is repeatedly and horribly murdered a few times every episode. Also a lot of Pedophilia jokes.

-Death Note

The Main character uses a magic notebook where if someones name is written in it, they die. He uses it to try and create a new world where he is god and delivers judgement.

-Eiken

Two episodes of large breasted women in sexual situations

-Elfen Lied

Naked women, psychokinetic powers, gruesome murder.

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

A High school girl is god, as she can alter reality to her liking, but she is not aware of this power.

-Puni Puni Poemi

Alot of sexual jokes, some pedophelic. The last episode has a extended sexual scene.

-Perfect Blue

If you can get past the rape scenes, its ok.

-School Days

A depressing series ending with a school girl murdering a school boy.

-Tokyo Godfathers

A Christmas story where three homeless people find a baby in the trash. One of the ones who tries to take care of the child is a drag queen, and is surprisingly the voice of reason some times. If you can get passed the drag queen, its a heartwarming story.

-When the Cicadas Cry/The Effect of when the cicadas cry

Two series about gruesome murders, often depicted.

I hope this helps you out.

• Members

Thank you for presenting the synopsis for these series. I've seen a few of them and some were fairly safe, while others were just like you said.
Regarding certain shows, I had no idea about the content. Nevertheless, it's nice to know in advance what they're all about without actually watching the anime and be taken by surprise.

Edited by Amaryllis

• Members

Teens are trying witchcraft and experimenting with Satanism

A few things....How is Satanism evil? i mean, google "The church of satan" (prefrebly wikipedia) i think you'll find it's very...er...not evil. and, although im pagan, i do agree with most of the church's morals. Also do you have any proof of this? Furthermore, they are TRYING (Are they?) but if they suceed at the impossable (Magic) i'll take out three of my vertebray, curl my spine back and eat my own backiside. (Sorry stolen from Escapeist magazine if anyone knows what that is) :rolleyes: