• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Conviction

• Members

Let me begin by saying that I am in no way trying to judge my brothers and sisters who do not hold my convictions, but I do believe that it would be wise for you to listen to what I have to say. Call it food-for-thought.

About my second year of high school the Lord started to prick my heart about the movies that I watched. They were not always sinfull (so I thought!), but they definitely were a far cry from God honoring. At first I resisted the idea of sacrificing the watching of these movies, but as I grew in the Lord it became more and more appearant that movies were hindering my growth and causing me to repeatedly fall back into sin. I finally surrendered to the Lord and chose not to watch any movies rated R or that had any sexuality, nudity, or language in them no matter what kind of a story line they had to them. The Lord blessed tremendously! I took off once more in the Lord and only then realized how much they had kept me back from Him.

Soon though I began to experience the all too familiar pricking of the Lord at my heart about the movies I was still watching. Unfortunately, I struggled with their relenquishment untill college.

I praise the Lord that the college He has called me to does not allow you to watch movies or play any video games rated above E. The Lord used my college in my life as the final blow to the grasp that these had on my mind and life. Praise be to your name my Lord, Savior, and Creator!

Upon coming home for Christmass break after my first Fall semester I was confronted once more with these temptations. I regret to report that I failed in seperating myself from movies and became useless for the Lord that Christmass. Thankfully the Lord accepted me back into His guidance for my life after I repented of these distractions just before I went back to college for my second freshman semester.

The Lord got a hold of my heart even stronger over that semester and I purposed within myself that with God's strength I would not go back to these former temptations. That summer was a struggle, but the Lord granted His strength and wisdom in my life and kept me from these temptations.

A peculiar thing began in my heart that Summer. Now that I was removed from the constant onslaught of worldly philosophy and sin preached through those movies the Lord opened my eyes to just how wicked they really were. I was disgusted if I happened to try and watch what I once laughed at or thought was "cool." It got to the point where I stopped watching even supposed kids movies rated PG because even though they had no OBvious inordinate sexuality or language in them (although a whole lot of suggestions!) they always were permeated with the worlds philosophies (rebellion of children to parents, do what your heart tells you, always seek the way of pleasure, life is about a good time, etc.).

When I returned to college for my Sophomore year the Lord took my convictions one step further. He revealed to me that I am becoming a man and that one day in His timing I will lead a wife and children of my own. One choice that I will need to make is whether I will allow such garbage to permeate my sons and daughters minds as well as me and my wife's. My OBvious answer was "NO!!!"

The Lord long ago laid the fact before me that what I plan on holding my wife and children to I must be willing to hold myself to first. If I cannot hold myself to these convictions than how can I be in position to hold my family to them. Therefore I have abandoned all movies made for entertainment purposes. The only movies that I believe the Lord will allow me to see are home videos and biblicaly sound teaching videos.

I just wanted to share what the Lord has done in my life. I realize that not everyone may agree with me on this and you're entitled to your opinion, but please do consider what such movies teach you in life.

From a loving Brother in Christ,
Quiet Listener

P.S. Please pray that the Lord will provide me with a wife that maintains the same convictions or that will be willing to practice the same convictions for herself and our children.

• Members
amen.gif

I stand amazed at what many Christians will watch at the movies and or on TV and call it good entertainment. Most of them are packed with sins against our 'Great God,' how can a person who has accepted Jesus as Savior, who died on the cross for our sins, watch, enjoy, and laugh at such stuff. I say that knowing full well that I once did so many years ago, I thank Him for waking me up and helping me understand why I should not allow such stuff into my mind.

• Administrators

Thank you so much for sharing that. It was a blessing to read.

One thing that you will not see me do is knock down someone over their convictions. If you tell me the Lord is telling you something (other than something contrary to the Bible), I will do what I can to help you accomplish that.