• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

High on Praise Music

• Members

Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

We sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs so that others will be edified. Those that are being edified are listening to the psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs that we sing. This is glorifying to God.

I think this helps me the most, I will see what God gives me with some study.

• Members

For myself, even after all these years of being saved and listening mostly to Christian music for a good many years now, the songs I heard as a child and in my youth are more firmly planted in my head (even old commercial jingles) than all the musice I've listened to in more recent years.

Sometimes when it's quiet and I want to think of a good song to sing to myself or while I'm mowing I find that in order to sing or think upon the words of a good Christian song I first have to fight and push away all the stuff from years ago.

TV show theme songs (Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Gilligans Island, etc), commercial songs (Alka Seltzer, Burger King...as in, 'hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us' :icon_rolleyes: , etc.) and songs we had to sing in school (This Land, that French song, Doe a deer, a female deer..., etc.) and songs I heard on radio, TV shows and that I heard others listening too (Sixteen Tons, Big Bad John, several Johnny Cash, Roger Miller and other country artists songs, Little Willy, The Night Chicago Died, etc.).

Sometimes something will trigger a memory and there I am with an entire old song in my head. Recently I heard the beginning of a song I hadn't heard since the 70s and instantly that entire song was going through my head.

So yeah, music absolutely has power and what we put in we can't just remove so we need to be real careful what we put in there. At the same time, the only way to push away the old stuff is to replace it with new Christian stuff.

• Administrators

Sorry, my bad. I have met people who seem to think that they are what Paul was talking about.

Me, too. I have never studied it out, have you? I'd be interested to know what hymns were back then (I know that the translators prOBably meant similar to ours, but what was Paul saying? Interesting thoughts...).

• Members
Me, too. I have never studied it out, have you? I'd be interested to know what hymns were back then (I know that the translators prOBably meant similar to ours, but what was Paul saying? Interesting thoughts...).

Hymn means a song of praise. So it is not any particular style.