Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Women SS Teachers ??

Rate this topic

Bro K

• Advanced Member

Agreed bro Jerry

Everyone knew that Tony Blair would become a catholic when he retired from being PM. When someone asked whey G W Bush always ended his speaches with "God Bless You" and why didn't Blair. his spin doctor, Alistair Campbell answered "We don't do God."

Blair was accepted into Rome although his policies all went against the teachings of Rome.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Agreed bro Jerry

Everyone knew that Tony Blair would become a catholic when he retired from being PM. When someone asked whey G W Bush always ended his speaches with "God Bless You" and why didn't Blair. his spin doctor, Alistair Campbell answered "We don't do God."

Blair was accepted into Rome although his policies all went against the teachings of Rome.

No doubt, they knew Tony would be a big draw and prOBably gain them many members, excuse me, $$$,$$$,$$$.$$.

• 11 years later...
  • Members
On 7/9/2010 at 2:07 PM, HappyChristian said:

In fact, 2 Timothy calls those women "silly."

Reminds me of a reference maybe 30 years ago or so,  that "silly women" or "women" also referred to men at the time written - not men of faith , no, but men effeminate or weak-minded,  wrong spirit,  with no substance nor portion in Christ.  Perhaps the womanly men were or passed as teachers or preachers at the time also,  deluding and deceiving many, being carried about by winds of doctrine not at all true nor faithful nor right but pretending to be and too often accepted by others in assemblies or by individuals with or without telling their husbands or elders or deacons in the assembly that they were listening to or paying attention to perverted doctrines ,  having their ears tickled, their emotions leading them astray easily,  perhaps (unknown) their own assembly not providing teaching to resist nor to expose the wolves and false teachings and harmful practices.

Other items in this thread are potential great topics today for this thread continued or for a new thread,  God Willing.

One question I had - I was searching this forum for "teaching women" to see if anyone is teaching women anywhere, in churches, schools,  classes, homes or wherever. 

Teaching according to Scripture KJV,  not according to the world nor any of the multitude of false directions.

It came up a few minutes ago when I saw a reference to a school in UK that trains women to be good wives.    

Is anyone anywhere Biblically sound training young women to be good and faithful wives, 

and then also anywhere training men, young men or old,  to be disciples properly and Scripturally ?  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at our Bible class my wife reads Scripture verses and makes suggestions; and it's actively encouraged; and we don't see this as incompatible with the NT.

She used to teach as her secular employment; this is a separate context, of course.

Edited by farouk

• 2 weeks later...

Farouk, God’s Word says this:

1 Timothy 2:12
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
You or your church may not have a problem with women teaching men - but God does. A woman can teach a children’s Sunday school class, perhaps even a teen class with boys and girls - but the Bible itself teaches women are not to teach men (obviously in a spiritual context). Funny how some people think they can teach the Bible when they themselves are forbidden from doing so in that context. If they rebel against the Word of God, how are they in fact teaching the Word of God?

16 hours ago, Jerry said:

Farouk, God’s Word says this:

1 Timothy 2:12
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
You or your church may not have a problem with women teaching men - but God does. A woman can teach a children’s Sunday school class, perhaps even a teen class with boys and girls - but the Bible itself teaches women are not to teach men (obviously in a spiritual context). Funny how some people think they can teach the Bible when they themselves are forbidden from doing so in that context. If they rebel against the Word of God, how are they in fact teaching the Word of God?

Jerry, should a mother be allowed to teach her child?

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

So, don't speak for him. Let  him answer.  Thanks. 

Are you actually reading when people comment? He did answer 🤣

I didn't answer for him, I actually read what he typed that you could have read for yourself. If you take the time to read his post you will see that you asked a question that he already gave the answer to. 

It's like me saying....The sky is blue, and then your next comment is asking me what color I think the sky is.

It's all cool bro

• Members

Actually Jerry doesn’t answer that directly… I think you are at the point you just try to argue with Bill, for no reason or any reason. 

Anyways the answer to that question is obviously yes. A stupid question indeed, especially looking at Jerry’s stance on Sunday school children’s classes.

• Administrators

I take "A woman can teach a children’s Sunday school class, perhaps even a teen class with boys and girls

as an answer to

"Jerry, should a mother be allowed to teach her child?"

If a woman can teach a children's Sunday school class then they can obviously teach her child.

Maybe I'm wrong and Jerry can clarify, but it would seem like a contradiction to say yes a woman can teach a child, but no, not her own child.

Acts 18:

24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

In the NT scripture, Aquila and Priscilla, a husband and wife team, taught Apollos what he was missing in scripture. It's clear to me that the three had a Bible study together, the wording suggests both Priscilla and Aquilla taught Apollos and he accepted their teaching, becoming a very strong and bold preacher for the cause of Christ. Priscilla may not have taught in the church or Sunday school(the Bible doesn't say), but she did teach Apollos, a man, in a Bible study together with her husband. 

My personal experience: I'm a missionary and there have been times I taught teen boys and men in Bible studies. In one instance, I held a Bible study at a hospital with the administrative staff (all women) during their lunch break. I have had a male pharmaceutical rep drop in on occasion to join the Bible study. Should I have told him he wasn't welcome because I was a woman and had no authority to teach him? Or is it because I taught at a hospital and not a church it's okay? 

At the church my dad started in Taiwan I taught Sunday school, which included teen boys up to age 16. There have been numerous times when a young child is afraid to go to Sunday school alone and the father sits with them in the class and participates in the lesson and activities with their child. Should I have insisted they go to the main service and let their child cry and disrupt class? (some parents did just this, I held the crying child and taught the lesson at the same time, no big deal for me, but other parents don't want their child crying) The choice was the father's, they wanted church to be a positive place and not a fearful place and so they listened to the lesson I taught. 

When the church decided to forgo VBS and church camp and instead hold a weeklong series of intensive Bible lessons, I was asked to teach in one of the hour slots. It was a mixed class, teenagers and adults. 

I am in Taiwan to minister mainly to children and women, but I will teach teen boys and men if asked to do so, although it happens rarely. I do not believe I  am in any way usurping authority or putting myself (or women in general) on a pedestal.  On the contrary, I believe I am submitting myself to my pastoral authority by obeying the instruction given to teach the truths of the Bible, no matter who may be listening. 

• Members
46 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Are you speaking of an adult class, @E Morales? If you're speaking of an adult, MIXED, male and female SS class, I would have to say NO. 

Yes, to any old or young man or female. A woman can teach a class, if there is no man to do so. Old and New Testament, even dead bones will speak, if man falls short. As a donkey if kick to. In my opinion  

• Members
1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Acts 18:

24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

In the NT scripture, Aquila and Priscilla, a husband and wife team, taught Apollos what he was missing in scripture. It's clear to me that the three had a Bible study together, the wording suggests both Priscilla and Aquilla taught Apollos and he accepted their teaching, becoming a very strong and bold preacher for the cause of Christ. Priscilla may not have taught in the church or Sunday school(the Bible doesn't say), but she did teach Apollos, a man, in a Bible study together with her husband. 

My personal experience: I'm a missionary and there have been times I taught teen boys and men in Bible studies. In one instance, I held a Bible study at a hospital with the administrative staff (all women) during their lunch break. I have had a male pharmaceutical rep drop in on occasion to join the Bible study. Should I have told him he wasn't welcome because I was a woman and had no authority to teach him? Or is it because I taught at a hospital and not a church it's okay? 

At the church my dad started in Taiwan I taught Sunday school, which included teen boys up to age 16. There have been numerous times when a young child is afraid to go to Sunday school alone and the father sits with them in the class and participates in the lesson and activities with their child. Should I have insisted they go to the main service and let their child cry and disrupt class? (some parents did just this, I held the crying child and taught the lesson at the same time, no big deal for me, but other parents don't want their child crying) The choice was the father's, they wanted church to be a positive place and not a fearful place and so they listened to the lesson I taught. 

When the church decided to forgo VBS and church camp and instead hold a weeklong series of intensive Bible lessons, I was asked to teach in one of the hour slots. It was a mixed class, teenagers and adults. 

I am in Taiwan to minister mainly to children and women, but I will teach teen boys and men if asked to do so, although it happens rarely. I do not believe I  am in any way usurping authority or putting myself (or women in general) on a pedestal.  On the contrary, I believe I am submitting myself to my pastoral authority by obeying the instruction given to teach the truths of the Bible, no matter who may be listening. 

I believe if you're a a missionary, isn't that what you're supposed to be doing? Are you alone, or do you have a husband who's a missionary with you? 

If there is a "qualified" man, then I believe the man should be teaching/preaching. But, as Mr. Morales has pointed out, there are cases where a woman HAS to be the speaker. I don't see that in a church, as a SS teacher or preacher, unless, of course the men of the church have abdicated their responsibiities. If they have, it might be necessary for a woman to do the speaking until a man is trained to take over. 

• Members

I remember one time, I ask a pastor if you were in a very small town where there was a woman evangelizing or preaching, and no man doing this mission, would you listen to her? this Pastor told me no. Now me being a Christian, I know that the head of the church is Christ, the pastor a man is the head of the home and is chosen by God to lead the church. I did not agree with him, because I know God will do many things that I don’t understand. He the boss

• Members
11 minutes ago, E Morales said:

I remember one time, I ask a pastor if you were in a very small town where there was a woman evangelizing or preaching, and no man doing this mission, would you listen to her? this Pastor told me no. Now me being a Christian, I know that the head of the church is Christ, the pastor a man is the head of the home and is chosen by God to lead the church. I did not agree with him, because I know God will do many things that I don’t understand. He the boss

The job of "evagelizing" is for every Christian, male or female. The job of leading a congregation is for a pastor, and women ARE NOT supposed to be pastors according to Scripture. 

27 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I believe if you're a a missionary, isn't that what you're supposed to be doing? Are you alone, or do you have a husband who's a missionary with you? 

If there is a "qualified" man, then I believe the man should be teaching/preaching. But, as Mr. Morales has pointed out, there are cases where a woman HAS to be the speaker. I don't see that in a church, as a SS teacher or preacher, unless, of course the men of the church have abdicated their responsibiities. If they have, it might be necessary for a woman to do the speaking until a man is trained to take over. 

Yes, it's exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. I am not married, I work with the local pastors where needed. The church I'm helping in now I haven't needed or been asked to teach men, but in the prior church I was asked on occasion to do so because it was a very small, new church plant started from the ground up. I did everything except preach (piano, Bible studies, janitor, Sunday school, etc). I helped train the people who are now qualified to be in the positions they're in (except the now pastor, my dad taught him). I did it all under the guidance of my dad - the missionary who started the church, and now the local pastor. Once they had all the positions filled with locals who were doing an excellent job, I moved on to the next church, where I am now. So it wasn't a matter of men abdicating responsibility, there simply weren't many men knowledgeable in the Bible at that time to be the teachers. I was extremely happy once I was able to step back, do you know how intimidating it is to teach someone who holds a doctorate, haha! 😄 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Yes, it's exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. I am not married, I work with the local pastors where needed. The church I'm helping in now I haven't needed or been asked to teach men, but in the prior church I was asked on occasion to do so because it was a very small, new church plant started from the ground up. I did everything except preach (piano, Bible studies, janitor, Sunday school, etc). I helped train the people who are now qualified to be in the positions they're in (except the now pastor, my dad taught him). I did it all under the guidance of my dad - the missionary who started the church, and now the local pastor. Once they had all the positions filled with locals who were doing an excellent job, I moved on to the next church, where I am now. So it wasn't a matter of men abdicating responsibility, there simply weren't many men knowledgeable in the Bible at that time to be the teachers. I was extremely happy once I was able to step back, do you know how intimidating it is to teach someone who holds a doctorate, haha! 😄 

I agree with how you did this....I know it may not be a popular opinion, but I don't see where it would be unscriptural. 

Now you asked if I know how intimidating it is to teach someone who has a doctorate...Yes, ma'am, I certainly do. When I was teaching SS in many of the churches where I've done so, I had several people with their doctorates...especially ones in religion. I often felt so inadequate to teach until one of those who had been a pastor for 30+ years and was on a sabbatical told me 'God qualifies those he calls." He and I talked at length several times, and he was a great encouragement to me. I have never even finished college, but I have preached enough to know that God doesn't send anybody out to do something without giving them the tools to do it! 🙂 Blessings.