• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The sacrifice of Children

• Members

Micah 6

“Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” (v. 7)

Micah asks a rhetorical question here, but the irony of it is that this is exactly what many people do! What I mean is, they sacrifice their children to the world because of their own desire to sin. All over the world man enjoys his sin, to excess many times, and the children are the ones’ that suffer in the long run. The decision we make on how we will live our life does affect others in a major way. It is as if the fruit of their bodies is exchanged for the sin of their soul. Anyone who brings his children up without Christ, sacrifices them on the altar of this world especially when they ignore their own souls’ need. How can a man care for his children when he does not care for his own soul? I see three major ways that this is done among unbelievers as well as Christians that are too busy with this world to tend to the important things of God and family. The first is by materialism: We have far too many “toys” to take time to teach our children it seems. Things, gadgets, technology is too important to us to let go of so that we can get to know our children. The second is by society: This world will teach them secular humanism, but what do we do to combat their teaching? They will learn all about evolution, but how much do they know about the things of God? The world will preach “self” and the power of overcoming prOBlems by their own means, but when will they learn to look to the Lord for their help? Then, the third thing is by every day living: Life teaches; but it teaches the way of man; the way of self will; of “if it feels good, do it”; the way of philosophy and worldly wisdom. Yes, life itself teaches, but we ought to loathe what it teaches. Our Children will learn much from their school, from friends, from relatives, and from nearly every association they have in life, and we will live to regret that we did not take time to teach them properly.

On the other hand, v. 8 gives us a three-fold remedy for their training: to do justly (how can they know to do justly until they learn true justice in the Word of God?); this is for the parents to apply, then for them to teach. To love mercy (again, there is no way we can love mercy without realizing the mercy of God in our lives), and again it must be in us, as examples then taught to our children; and to “walk humbly with thy God” (which puts aside self will, and our desires, and seeks after those of the Lord.) Walking humbly with our God begins when we accept Christ’s atonement for our sin. It is humbling to admit that we are sinners…but there is a walk after this that also must be steeped in humility. It is that walk, that humble service that is referred to here in Micah.

• Members

Millions of unborn are sacrificed on the altar of abortion.

Millions more are sacrificed at the altar of public schools.

Millions of others are sacrificed at the altar of false religions, including false "Christian" churches.

Millions are sacrificed at the altar of worldly entertainment.

So many sacrificed for the sake of parents self-centeredness, greed and lack of fully committing their way to the Lord.