• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ed Dunlop's Terrestria Chronicles

• Members

Hey, Y'All,

Baptist missionaries to Tanzania (who happen to be childhood friends with my wife) put us on to this series. They have 4 girls, and loved it. So it came highly recommended to my family (3 boys - no girls). Well, we started into it, and the boys never wanted us to put it down. We've read almost a chapter every night for the last 6 months (7 volumes, each volume just under 200 pages).

The stories themselves are quite riveting; but the allegorical truth is what is so exciting and refreshing.

Ed Dunlop is a fundamental Baptist, and you can tell while reading this "children's" series. If our adults would read it for themselves, our churches could be changed!

I highly recommend this for your kids, from age 6 to 16. Better for adults!

The Terrestria Chronicles - 7 Volumes is available from www.talesofcastles.com. (I get no financial remuneration, in case you're wondering!) A study guide can be purchased, which would make an ideal supplement for homeschooling book reports and studies.

Dave
www.DoctorDaveT.com

• Members

Thanks! I saved it to look over for my boys.

My son really wants to read alot of the magical, supernatural, magic spell stuff that's out today, and I'm not for that. To me, "Narnia" is sitting on the fence...I'd prOBably allow it even though I think its an open doorway to get into Potter and Lord of the Rings and bazillions of other new titles I see out there for young readers today.

So to me this series looks like another "doorway" series...on the other hand, it might be a good way to satisfy my son's desire to read adventure books without getting into the demonic stuff out there.

• Administrators

Thanks! I saved it to look over for my boys.

My son really wants to read alot of the magical, supernatural, magic spell stuff that's out today, and I'm not for that. To me, "Narnia" is sitting on the fence...I'd prOBably allow it even though I think its an open doorway to get into Potter and Lord of the Rings and bazillions of other new titles I see out there for young readers today.

So to me this series looks like another "doorway" series...on the other hand, it might be a good way to satisfy my son's desire to read adventure books without getting into the demonic stuff out there.

I wondered about the doorway idea, too - but at the bottom of the page it says there is no magic in it. It sounds like an allegory along the lines of Holy War.

• Members

Hey, Y'All,

I should have mentioned that there is no magic, nor any magicians in it. No wizards, nor spells. There are some giants, giant creatures, and even dragons. However, no magic.

The main character is a young man named Josiah who is saved early in the first volume. Josiah struggles through the rest of the volumes as he learns to serve King Emanuel.

We've sheltered our boys from "wizards, magicians, Harry Potter" etc., so there are absolutely no doorway issues here. Those doorway issues won't come from Dunlop; they'll come from somewhere else.

Ed Dunlop is a published author through the Sword of the Lord publishers in Murfreesboro, TN. If you folks are familiar with the Sword, you'll have a real good idea of what is in (and what is not in) these books.

Dave

Edited by DoctorDaveT