• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

WHY did Jesus wait????

• Members

Because Jesus was OBeying the will of God. John the Baptist was sent to prepare the way. God set the timetable and this involved John the Baptist preparing the way for a set number of years before Jesus was to step forth, in God's timing, and begin His public ministry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have also heard (don't quote me on this though) that according to Jewish law at the time a Jewish man was not allowed to be a teacher or Rabbi of the law untill the age of 30. In other words, a Jewish male had to be 30 years of age before he could hold a public ministry.

• Members

Timing is everything, and Jesus did things according to His Fathers will, timing, OBeying Him always. I would say that is why Jesus waited until He was about thirty years of age to start His ministry.

Joh 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Joh 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Joh 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

• Members

Why did Jesus wait till he was around 30 yrs old before He started his public ministry?

I suppose for the same reason Abraham was a hundred years old before Issac was born and for the same reason Moses was eighty before his life work really began and for the same reason David spent many years on the run from Saul even though God, through Samuel, had anointed him to be king many years before. It just has to do with the proper timing for events. God determines the proper timing. All through the bible we see examples of Gods timing. We see it all the way from Genesis 15:16 where God tells Abraham the timing for taking Canaan is not yet right for a few more hundred years because "the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full" all the way up to more precise timing of merely a matter of days in John 7:8 where Christ does not yet go up to the feast because the time is not quite right to do so. We don't know the reasoning behind Gods timing, but there is a good reason for it all. It is written: Acts 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. Rarely will we know the reasoning behind God's timing in this life, but his timing is very precisely planned out. Edited by Seth-Doty