• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How active are you in church?

22 members have voted

1. 1. How active are you in church?

• I'm there every time the doors are open and active in choir, teaching classes, or other ministries
    • I try to be faithful and I participate in one ministry, like choir or nursery
    • I am faithful in church but I do not serve in any ministries
    • I go to church when I can and that's about it

• 1 year later...
  • Members

None quite fits me, I'm there all the time. Yet I think there's many that attend when there's nothing else better happening, them when they can't find something better instead of attending church, they will sleep in.

In Arkansas, that Sunday morning sickness spreads like wildfire early Sunday mornings, them seems to clear out at about 12:00 noon coming back to life about & hour prior to evening services.

• Members

None quite fits me, I'm there all the time. Yet I think there's many that attend when there's nothing else better happening, them when they can't find something better instead of attending church, they will sleep in.

In Arkansas, that Sunday morning sickness spreads like wildfire early Sunday mornings, them seems to clear out at about 12:00 noon coming back to life about & hour prior to evening services.

That kind of reminds me of the song the Kingsmen Quartet sings called "Excuses". They also have a sequel to that one called "More Excuses".

• Members

The only thing that keeps us out of church is bad weather and sickness. We belong to a very small IFB church...the only ministries there are the music ministry (no choir) we have a pianist and her husband directs the congregational singing, and 2 Sunday School classes. If you could call computer repair a ministry, that is the ministry my husband is involved in. Anytime a member (and it seems that the pastor is the only one) has a problem with their computer, they call my husband. Since he is legally blind, I'm the driver.

• Administrators

I actually fall in between the first and second choice. I'm not there every time the doors are open...they are open sometimes 20 hours a day, with different things going on (even services, like the teen weeks, etc). But we are faithful, and we are both involved in more than one ministry.

• Members

I am the same Happy Christian, although I know there are times I should have been there and failed to go. Shame on me. We were involved in lots of ministries. We have just moved though and have started attending a new church so now we are not involved in any ministries. It will take time I guess.

• Members

That kind of reminds me of the song the Kingsmen Quartet sings called "Excuses". They also have a sequel to that one called "More Excuses".

Don't suppose I've heard the excuse song.

Through the years I was in church full time, or not in church at all, which means anytime there was services I would be there if possible.

I've never understood the hit & miss people. Those that seem to attend church only when there is not something better happening somewhere in the world.

And I have never understood many of those that miss because they say they don't feel good. Many of those I have seen out on Sunday afternoon going from here to there, so I feel most of the time its that dreadful Sunday morning sickness, "I don't want to go." And or out on Monday morning looking as they never saw a sick day int heir life.

I know of a man that lost part of one leg, very soon he was back in church. Later on he lost some more of that leg, very soon he was back in church. Later on he lost part of the other leg, very soon he was back in church. Later on he lost more of that leg, bound to a wheel chair, soon he was back in church. And only in his latter days did he finally give up church.

I know well there are times that some have to miss, & because they're sick, or it could be another reason. But there's many that uses I don't feel good just because they do not want to make the effort.

I may need to add, I know how it is to hurt, I live in pain, it can't be fixed, I don't complain about it & if I went by feelings there would be many times that I would not be in church. But when church going times comes I want to be in church, & if possible, I will be there.

And I will add, if someone has something has something that might be contagious, it would be a good idea for them to stay home.

I still recall one morning several years ago. I had got up at my usual time, 4:30 AM. Got my farm work done, took a shower, got dressed for church. I had been raining since before I got up. in fact it was pouring down. Linda like a bit being ready. I set on the couch. Them laid my head down on the arm of the couch. I dozed off lightly. Them a thought hit my mind, why not stay home, this is so comfortable.

Suddenly I came wide awake, set back up, them thought how good it felt laying my head down. Them it hit me, that is exactly what the old Devil would like me to do, & I refuse to let him win. I got up & got the last cup of coffee, drink it, by that time the wife was ready & we headed out to church in the blowing rain.

On returning home I told Linda, "I'm sure glad I did not let the old Devil win this morning." Of course she didn't know what I meant so I had to explain it.

All he has to do is win one time, them the next time its even easier to miss. I refuse to let him keep me out of church & away from my Savior. I fear many are letting the old Devi win.

• Members

Don't suppose I've heard the excuse song.

Through the years I was in church full time, or not in church at all, which means anytime there was services I would be there if possible.

I've never understood the hit & miss people. Those that seem to attend church only when there is not something better happening somewhere in the world.

And I have never understood many of those that miss because they say they don't feel good. Many of those I have seen out on Sunday afternoon going from here to there, so I feel most of the time its that dreadful Sunday morning sickness, "I don't want to go." And or out on Monday morning looking as they never saw a sick day int heir life.

I know of a man that lost part of one leg, very soon he was back in church. Later on he lost some more of that leg, very soon he was back in church. Later on he lost part of the other leg, very soon he was back in church. Later on he lost more of that leg, bound to a wheel chair, soon he was back in church. And only in his latter days did he finally give up church.

I know well there are times that some have to miss, & because they're sick, or it could be another reason. But there's many that uses I don't feel good just because they do not want to make the effort.

I may need to add, I know how it is to hurt, I live in pain, it can't be fixed, I don't complain about it & if I went by feelings there would be many times that I would not be in church. But when church going times comes I want to be in church, & if possible, I will be there.

And I will add, if someone has something has something that might be contagious, it would be a good idea for them to stay home.

I still recall one morning several years ago. I had got up at my usual time, 4:30 AM. Got my farm work done, took a shower, got dressed for church. I had been raining since before I got up. in fact it was pouring down. Linda like a bit being ready. I set on the couch. Them laid my head down on the arm of the couch. I dozed off lightly. Them a thought hit my mind, why not stay home, this is so comfortable.

Suddenly I came wide awake, set back up, them thought how good it felt laying my head down. Them it hit me, that is exactly what the old Devil would like me to do, & I refuse to let him win. I got up & got the last cup of coffee, drink it, by that time the wife was ready & we headed out to church in the blowing rain.

On returning home I told Linda, "I'm sure glad I did not let the old Devil win this morning." Of course she didn't know what I meant so I had to explain it.

All he has to do is win one time, them the next time its even easier to miss. I refuse to let him keep me out of church & away from my Savior. I fear many are letting the old Devi win.

Since you've never heard the song "Excuses", here is the first few lines of the song:

Excuses, excuses, you'll hear them every day; how the devil he'll supply them, if from church you stay away.

When people come to know the Lord, the devil always loses; so to keep them folks away from church, he offers them excuses.

The song "More Excuses" is the sequel of the "Excuses" song:

Excuses, more excuses, we hear them oh so much; as people try to justify why they are not in church.

If they love God, it's rather odd that they should get so nervous; as they explain when asked again why they missed Sunday service.

Your post just reminded me of those two songs. And I agree with you about giving in to the devil....listening to the devil's offering of "excuses and more excuses".

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

If you would like to have both of those songs, let me know and I can email them to you.

PS: I didn't know your wife's name was Linda! Nice name! Edited by LindaR

• Members

I know of a man & wife that moved to a town that did not have a good baptist Church. They went to a town several miles away where there was a good Baptist Church, & asked them for help. They were asked to see if they could at least find 2 or 3 families that might be interested in such a church. So being new in town that was a difficult thing to do. Yet they did this.

This church they had gone to furnished them a preacher to meet with them, each Sunday they would meet in a different members home. In a few weeks they had enough to rent a building, & in a short tie they had enough to build their own building. That was in the 70's & I understand the church is still going.