• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Here we go...

• Members

Ok, so I read the book you all suggested and I am confused beyond humanly possible X(. I have so many questions it's not even funny.

@Rick

This is so confusing because of how we practice our faith and what our beliefs are. For one, you say that God sent his son to die for us. Why would he do that? If he's God then why would he bother to make a race that wouldn't serve him? In my religion, each God gave a gift to the universe but, only a few directly gave something to man. Like Thor for example guards Midard from Giants that want to devour it. Odin gave man wisom and will die in the Final Battle to allow them to live again. Also in your religion, you worship your God and OBey him. In mine there is nothing to OBey. We don't bow or bend our knees to the gods. We try take on their characteristics and do honorable deeds so that our afterlife will be better.

Ok now for some of the questions I have.
Why and how did God make everything? Why would Jesus die for us? How did Jesus do the things that I read he did(walk on water, feed all the people, ect.) and why would he do it? After doing those things, why wouldn't people believe he is who he said he was? Besides being something bad or the act of disOBeying God, what is a sin specifically? I have others but, it'd be a bit much.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Great questions! I'll do my best to answer them with the Bible.

Why and how did God make everything?

How:

By speaking it into existence:

Hebrews 1:3, "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;"

Genesis 1:1-3, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." (Read whole chapter for more info)

Why?

Revelation 4:11, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

We were created for the pleasure of God. The happiest and most fufilled people on Earth are not the rich people, it's the ones who are living their lives for the pleasure of God, and fufilling their purpose.

Why would Jesus die for us?

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I John 4:16, "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

God is love. Love is not God, but God is true love and its source. God loved us enough to send Jesus to die and pay the penalty for our sins.

How did Jesus do the things that I read he did(walk on water, feed all the people, ect.) and why would he do it?

He was able to do those things because not only was He a man, but He was also God.

II Timothy 3:16, "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

John 20:28-29, "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
[29] Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

He did those things to prove that He was God and that the people might repent of their sins and believe on Him.

After doing those things, why wouldn't people believe he is who he said he was?

John 2:23, "Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did."

Many of them did, and many still do today. But there are several reasons why people don't trust Christ, back then people were held in bondage to the Religious leaders of the day, the Pharasees. They didn't like Jesus "stealing the show", and they really didn't like that Jesus didn't kowtow to them like everyone else did. So they used their influence to eventually have Jesus killed.

Besides being something bad or the act of disOBeying God, what is a sin specifically? I have others but, it'd be a bit much.

A lot of things are sin. The Bible gives a few specifics examples:

Rom. 1:20-32, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
[22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
[23] And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
[26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
[27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprOBate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
[29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
[30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disOBedient to parents,
[31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
[32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

• Members

Great questions! I'll do my best to answer them with the Bible.

How:

By speaking it into existence:

Hebrews 1:3, "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;"

Genesis 1:1-3, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." (Read whole chapter for more info)

Why?

Revelation 4:11, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

We were created for the pleasure of God. The happiest and most fufilled people on Earth are not the rich people, it's the ones who are living their lives for the pleasure of God, and fufilling their purpose.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I John 4:16, "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

God is love. Love is not God, but God is true love and its source. God loved us enough to send Jesus to die and pay the penalty for our sins.

He was able to do those things because not only was He a man, but He was also God.

II Timothy 3:16, "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

John 20:28-29, "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
[29] Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

He did those things to prove that He was God and that the people might repent of their sins and believe on Him.

John 2:23, "Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did."

Many of them did, and many still do today. But there are several reasons why people don't trust Christ, back then people were held in bondage to the Religious leaders of the day, the Pharasees. They didn't like Jesus "stealing the show", and they really didn't like that Jesus didn't kowtow to them like everyone else did. So they used their influence to eventually have Jesus killed.

A lot of things are sin. The Bible gives a few specifics examples:

Rom. 1:20-32, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
[22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
[23] And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
[26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
[27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprOBate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
[29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
[30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disOBedient to parents,
[31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
[32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

How can one God make everything? I mean, in my beliefs several gods made different things and represent different things. How did God come about?(what made him?)

Why would Jesus/God(kinda confused on this sorry) even have to prove who he is if he created us? Why wouldn't he just strike down those who don't?

So sin is things like murder or being unfaithful? How is being proud of yourself a sin and why would god not want you to have a sense of pride? Um, is me being pagen a sin?

• Administrators

Why and how did God make everything? Why would Jesus die for us? How did Jesus do the things that I read he did(walk on water, feed all the people, ect.) and why would he do it? After doing those things, why wouldn't people believe he is who he said he was? Besides being something bad or the act of disOBeying God, what is a sin specifically? I have others but, it'd be a bit much.

Why and how did God make everything? How: He spoke it into existence. The first book of the Bible, Genesis, gives those details. You can read chapters 1 & 2 which talk about creation. Why? Because He wanted to. He created people to fellowship with Him.

Why would Jesus die for us? Read Genesis chapter 3 and you will see how sin came into the world. That sin passed on to all of us - we are all born sinners. Because of that, we cannot enter Heaven. No sin is allowed in Heaven. So - God sent His Son (Jesus, who is God, and who came willingly) to die for us. Three days after He died, He rose again... The Bible tells us "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son..." (John 3:16); "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8). Jesus died for us because "God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

How did He do all those things He did? He is God. He created the universe and everything in it. He controls it all - so walking on the water would be nothing to Him. Feeding all the people, etc., - no hardship for Him, because He is God. Why did He do it? To show people that He is God.

Why wouldn't people believe? For the same reasons today: hardness of heart, lack of true understanding, not wanting to admit we're sinners, etc. God created us with a free will: He's not going to knock us over the head and force us to believe. He loves us and draws us to Him...

Sin is breaking God's law. James 2:10 says: "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." This verse is to teach us that we cannot keep the whole law - that's more than the ten commandments (even though no-one can OBey all of the ten commandments!). We could list all kinds of things that are specific sins - adultery, murder, covetousness, placing any gods above God, lying, stealing, dishonoring parents, etc. (those are all taken from the 10 commandments).

As Christians, we are to become like Christ. But God works in us to accomplish that. Yes, we OBey Him. And we bow the knee to Him. But our afterlife (eternity) is not predicated on what we DO. It is predicated on what Christ has already done - and whether or not we accept Him.

I hope this helps a bit - I'm sure someone else will add more.

As Rick already did... :biggrin:

• Members

How can one God make everything? I mean, in my beliefs several gods made different things and represent different things. How did God come about?(what made him?)

Why would Jesus/God(kinda confused on this sorry) even have to prove who he is if he created us? Why wouldn't he just strike down those who don't?

So sin is things like murder or being unfaithful? How is being proud of yourself a sin and why would god not want you to have a sense of pride? Um, is me being pagen a sin?

To add to these, Where did sin come from? If God/Jesus if perfect and made us to be like them then does that mean God is sinful? Or did he make imperfect and I just read it wrong? If God/Jesus is the only god then how are we to worship false gods? Did God/Jesus make other gods to represent sins?

• Administrators

To add to these, Where did sin come from? If God/Jesus if perfect and made us to be like them then does that mean God is sinful? Or did he make imperfect and I just read it wrong? If God/Jesus is the only god then how are we to worship false gods? Did God/Jesus make other gods to represent sins?

The Bible tells us that God has always been. He didn't come from anywhere - and this is a big difference in any other belief system. All other gods have been created: by man.

Micah 5:2 tells us where Jesus Christ would be born as a man: "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." Notice what I underlined.

How can one God make everything? God is all powerful. Our finite brains can't necessarily understand everything about Him - and that is why it takes faith. But God can do anything.

Yes, things like murder and being unfaithful is sin. The pride that is a sin is the pride that makes us believe that we can do anything without God. Hope that's understandable. You being a pagan...well, alumentum, one of the commandments that God has given is to have no other gods before Him...so, what do you think?

Jesus (who is God...they are three - God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit - yet one. Hard to comprehend, I know...but just rest assured that they are not a pantheon of gods as in Odinism) didn't actually need to prove He was God. But He knew the people He created...we are a doubting people...

Why not strike them down? Because He loves them...and us. When He was hanging on the cross, He could have called all the angels of Heaven to come and free Him. He could have spoken and killed everyone there. But that wasn't God's plan. God wants everyone to turn to him, al. On their own - not by coercion - which is one of the reasons God allows evil.

No, no other gods were created by God. All other entities are the creations of man. Whether they are wood, metal or of the mind.

Adam and Eve chose to disOBey God. They chose, al. That doesn't make God imperfect, but it did result in all human beings born imperfect, sinful.

• Members

The Bible tells us that God has always been. He didn't come from anywhere - and this is a big difference in any other belief system. All other gods have been created: by man.

Micah 5:2 tells us where Jesus Christ would be born as a man: "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." Notice what I underlined.

How can one God make everything? God is all powerful. Our finite brains can't necessarily understand everything about Him - and that is why it takes faith. But God can do anything.

Yes, things like murder and being unfaithful is sin. The pride that is a sin is the pride that makes us believe that we can do anything without God. Hope that's understandable. You being a pagan...well, alumentum, one of the commandments that God has given is to have no other gods before Him...so, what do you think?

Jesus (who is God...they are three - God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit - yet one. Hard to comprehend, I know...but just rest assured that they are not a pantheon of gods as in Odinism) didn't actually need to prove He was God. But He knew the people He created...we are a doubting people...

Why not strike them down? Because He loves them...and us. When He was hanging on the cross, He could have called all the angels of Heaven to come and free Him. He could have spoken and killed everyone there. But that wasn't God's plan. God wants everyone to turn to him, al. On their own - not by coercion - which is one of the reasons God allows evil.

No, no other gods were created by God. All other entities are the creations of man. Whether they are wood, metal or of the mind.

Adam and Eve chose to disOBey God. They chose, al. That doesn't make God imperfect, but it did result in all human beings born imperfect, sinful.

How were other gods but, not God himself created by humans? Is that stated somewhere? If Jesus was born as a man, does he have parents? Are they worshipped as well? Are his parents divine? So God is one but, is many? The many make him up but, they are not seperate beings of their own(or did I get that wrong again)? Pride is a sin when you are blinded by it or it makes you act like a fool? If lust is a sin then is dateing or having a girl friend? I don't mean to sin by being pagen X ( but, it's all that I know. How can I sin if I don't know that my actions are sinful? Why did Adam and Eve choose do disOBey God and who are they? Were they tricked or did they just feel like being bad? I noticed you have a false religion section, do you suppose I could post a new thread there for other questions and a place to learn?

• Members

Welcome to OB. I'm going to recommend Mark instead of John. Maybe just a guess but, its shorter and maybe easier to read. However, I think we all could confuse you be continuing the Q&A and suggestions and thoughts. Read and ask us questions as time permits..

Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

I think you're doing great Alumentum, when it comes to learning this stuff. There is a lot in the Bible, and a lot to learn. No one has come anywhere close to mastering it. I think this is a great thread, and I'm glad you're here.

It looks like a lot of us are going to be answering your questions, which is great. You can have a ton of questions, because you have a lot of believers here to answer them.

As far as the idea of WHO God is, let me show you one verse that helps to explain it.

I John 5:7, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

The Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Ghost (or Holy Spirit) are three - but they are also one. This is called in scripture "the Godhead", some call it "the Trinity". God manifests Himself in three ways to us. When you read in the Bible and it says "God" - it is God. To be more specific, usually it is refering to the Father. Our Saviour is Jesus, and so when it says, "God our Saviour" we know specifically that it's talking about Jesus, but using the word God is fully legit. The Holy Spirit is God as well, He dwells within all believers and helps to guide us into all truth.

• Members

Ok, I think I'm starting to get the grasp of that. If I had to relate it to something in my beliefs it would be something like Vanir. Vanir is the creator of Vanahiemr, one of the 9 worlds. Vanir is one entity but, is made up of several personifications and they all work together to do the same tasks and represent the same things. Does that even make sense X /?

I think I'm going to start a new thread in the false religion section and I'll ask more questions as I start to read the Bible. That wont happen till I get my own though. Maybe there you guys can answer my question and maybe help me to relate them to something in my beliefs to make this easier to understand?

• Members

I know this is a bit off topic in a way, but you have mentioned your Baptist family and how you have only ever known Paganism...but that your family has tried to convert you and it hasn't worked.

Just to help us know where you are coming from, could you share like how much your family has told you about the Bible, or do you turn them off...or...? Since you appear to be searching, why would you not want to try out their church, just to see what its like? Maybe if you can expound upon this, we can better know how to help?

Welcome, btw!

• Members

I know this is a bit off topic in a way, but you have mentioned your Baptist family and how you have only ever known Paganism...but that your family has tried to convert you and it hasn't worked.

Just to help us know where you are coming from, could you share like how much your family has told you about the Bible, or do you turn them off...or...? Since you appear to be searching, why would you not want to try out their church, just to see what its like? Maybe if you can expound upon this, we can better know how to help?

Welcome, btw!

They've tried to get me to read it but, I've always put it off because I just couldn't make any sense of it. I'm not very good at reading or understanding things so I never really made it past the first few pages. I've tried to explain to them how I feel without making them feel bad but, there seems to be a brick wall in trying to explain things with what I know. As I have stated before, I used to go to church with them for the first few months of living with them. I didn't feel comfortable or welcomed and this was confirmed when the pastor told me to not bother with showing up. So I kinda just gave up but, after nearly a year of being 'that one weird guy' or 'that one Satanist' I'm just sick of doing nothing.

• Members

Why would the pastor ask you not to show up? What did your parents think about that?

Because he's asked me several times to 'repent my sins' and I didn't even know what he was talking about. I guess me not answering him just made him mad. My father seemed a little upset by my mom was FURIOUS! Eventually though, we worked it out and I just decided not to go anymore sense I didn't feel comfortable nor could I understand anything they were talking about. My parents have just kinda agreed with it, they don't want to hurt my feelings or anything I guess.