• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Poor hubby.

• Members

The prOBlem with saying "I've never had my birthday mentioned, never had a card, nor a gift..." in response to her original post is that it really has nothing to do with the point of her post.

If someone were to disagree with the use of using buses to bring in children, would it make sense for them to respond, "Well, you shouldn't be using buses to bring in children, so what's the big deal about someone not being available to drive the bus?" Or, if you don't believe in using VBS, then "What's the big deal about not having workers? You keep people around with what you brought them in with, so since you're not going to have VBS each week, then you shouldn't do it to start with."

Neither of those statements have anything to do with the point of her post, so they don't have any business being a rational response. If you don't agree with a particular point or philosophy, that's fine, but when someone so OBviously is just looking to vent and get encouragement, there's no reason to decide to make that the time to point out that they're doing something with which you disagree.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just thank the Lord our God for the following:

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may OBtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

I give these Scriptures to encourage you my sister that even though many a man does not understand, we do have one who does understand, cares and wants us to come to him.

Do not allow the barbs of those who do not understand your concern, heartache and disappointment to discourage you or to even make you feel less of a believer.

AMEN!!!
BTW, Happy Birthday, to your husband!

• Members

Just because someone celebrates their birthday doesn't mean they are stealing recognition or glory from the Lord. My hubby had a surprise party for me for my 50th - and it was great. He did a good jOB of inviting people and setting things up without me ever finding out. And we all had good clean Christian fellowhip.

As a wife, I can understand Suzi's disappointment. She isn't just discouraged because no-one said happy birthday to her hubby. There are other things happening that all culminate together to create frustration.

Stop, Jerry8, from assuming that people are offended because you want to bring glory to the Lord - that almost smacks of piousness...I say almost because I don't think that's what you intend, but that's kinda how it's coming across. If you prefer that the members of your church never wish you happy birthday, so be it. And if irishman prefers that, so be it. But there is nothing wrong with a wife wishing the members of their church would wish her hubby happy birthday.

Very well said!

• Members

I Tim. 5:17-18, "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
[18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

I Peter 5:2-4, "Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
[3] Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
[4] And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away."

I don't think God would have put that in the Bible if He didn't mean it.

Kita, the trials you and your husband have to go through are unique. They are not something that the everyday Christian has to go through. For your faithfulness, you deserve double honor and your husband will recieve a special reward in Heaven called the Crown of Glory.

Praise the Lord.

AMEN!!!

• Members

The prOBlem with saying "I've never had my birthday mentioned, never had a card, nor a gift..." in response to her original post is that it really has nothing to do with the point of her post.

If someone were to disagree with the use of using buses to bring in children, would it make sense for them to respond, "Well, you shouldn't be using buses to bring in children, so what's the big deal about someone not being available to drive the bus?" Or, if you don't believe in using VBS, then "What's the big deal about not having workers? You keep people around with what you brought them in with, so since you're not going to have VBS each week, then you shouldn't do it to start with."

Neither of those statements have anything to do with the point of her post, so they don't have any business being a rational response. If you don't agree with a particular point or philosophy, that's fine, but when someone so OBviously is just looking to vent and get encouragement, there's no reason to decide to make that the time to point out that they're doing something with which you disagree.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!
Amen!

• Members

After having been called pious, the only thing I will say is this.

At our church services its all about Him, its all for His glory, its only to give Him praise and thanks, and of course to learn of Him. We firmly believe that if a man and or woman deserves any rewards, recognition, or honor for what ever reason, they will receive it from our great God.

And when I posted these words in my previous post in this topic, "I'm hate that seems to offend some of you," What I meant is I hate it that with us doing it this way, some of you seem offended. Its simply the way we do things, nothing pious about it nor in it.

As I've said many times, at church services its all about worshiping Him and Him alone.

Quite amazing at the amount of anger shown.

• Members

After having been called pious, the only thing I will say is this.

At our church services its all about Him, its all for His glory, its only to give Him praise and thanks, and of course to learn of Him. We firmly believe that if a man and or woman deserves any rewards, recognition, or honor for what ever reason, they will receive it from our great God.

And when I posted these words in my previous post in this topic, "I'm hate that seems to offend some of you," What I meant is I hate it that with us doing it this way, some of you seem offended. Its simply the way we do things, nothing pious about it nor in it.

As I've said many times, at church services its all about worshiping Him and Him alone.

Quite amazing at the amount of anger shown.

No one here is offended that you do it that way at your church. How your church handles its affairs is between you and God. The prOBlem is that you are coming across as looking down on those who do it differently than you do. Our pastor's birthday is today and I'm sure the church will do something to recognize that. That doesn't mean that we are taking honor away from God, but rather that we are showing our thanks and gratitude to the one who has pastored us for over 21 years. There's nothing wrong with doing that or with not doing that.

Just because someone does things differently than you does not mean they are wrong. It may just mean that they are, um, different.

• Administrators

Jerry8 - you didn't read my post correctly. I didn't call you pious. I said that inferring that people are offended because of what you said smacks of piousness...and then I said that I didn't think that's what you intended.

NO-ONE was offended because you want to glorify God at your church
(in fact, no one was offended at all). I think we would all say we ALL want God glorified. The "way you do things" is totally up to you and your church members - just as it is in any independent church.

• Members

No one here is offended that you do it that way at your church. How your church handles its affairs is between you and God. The prOBlem is that you are coming across as looking down on those who do it differently than you do. Our pastor's birthday is today and I'm sure the church will do something to recognize that. That doesn't mean that we are taking honor away from God, but rather that we are showing our thanks and gratitude to the one who has pastored us for over 21 years. There's nothing wrong with doing that or with not doing that.

Just because someone does things differently than you does not mean they are wrong. It may just mean that they are, um, different.

AMEN, PreacherE!!!
BTW, wish Brother King, a Happy Birthday from us!

• Members

Jerry8 - you didn't read my post correctly. I didn't call you pious. I said that inferring that people are offended because of what you said smacks of piousness...and then I said that I didn't think that's what you intended.

NO-ONE was offended because you want to glorify God at your church
(in fact, no one was offended at all). I think we would all say we ALL want God glorified. The "way you do things" is totally up to you and your church members - just as it is in any independent church.

Amen, Sis!

• Members

Aww thanks! :-)

Well...his birthday was...not good LOL he got a terrible sinus infection and was in bed most of the day and we cancelled our date...today he had a dr visit and is doing a little better, enough to preach, but still drained and not feeling well.

Hopefully we'll get more signups for VBS! Surely we will.

Date rescheduled sometime next week. haha.

He did still eat the German Chocolate Cake I made him!!!!

• Members

Aww thanks! :-)

Well...his birthday was...not good LOL he got a terrible sinus infection and was in bed most of the day and we cancelled our date...today he had a dr visit and is doing a little better, enough to preach, but still drained and not feeling well.

Hopefully we'll get more signups for VBS! Surely we will.

Date rescheduled sometime next week. haha.

He did still eat the German Chocolate Cake I made him!!!!

German Chocolate Cake!!! You are a most wonderful wife :thumb:

I pray your hubby has a full, swift recovery :icon_pray: