• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When I awake...

• Members

Psalms 139

“How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.” (vs. 17, 18)

There are several important facts we can deduce from this passage of Scripture. First, that God ought to be precious to us. We ought to delight in thinking of the Lord and knowing that we are in His thoughts also! The Lord does not forget us, ever, the blessings just keep on coming.

Next, we see that there ought to be many thoughts toward Him, as our verse implies, “count your blessings” we are very much blessed of God, no matter how bad we think things are going. Would it help to list them on paper every time you think of one? You would be surprised at how long the list becomes as you do this. When we realize that God is with us wherever we go, and watching everything we do, it can be a comfort to us as well as a deterrent for sin. As our psalmist says, we would realize that our blessings really cannot be numbered, for there will be many we forget to record.

Then, the great message for us here, I believe, is in the last sentence in the 18th verse; “When I awake, I am still in with thee.” What a blessed thought. Neither are we abandoned by the Lord in the darkness, nor did we abandon Him at the night time of our lives. When you think of it, it is amazing that man, with his sinful and self-seeking nature, still abides “under the shadow of the Almighty” It is wonderful that when we awake in the morning, God is still there, but it is much more amazing that we are still with Him! Our nature is to stray, as sheep, wondering in the pastures of life. We ought to be amazed, and thankful, and awed by the fact that, when we rise in the morning, everything is still ok, God is there for us, and, by His grace alone, we are still with Him. We are kept by the mighty hand of God, and not by our own strength of will. Oh, we like to think it is us keeping ourselves in his will, but in actuality, it is Him. It is so easy to heed to the beckoning flesh and feed the evil impulses that seem to come out of nowhere to haunt us, and entice us, and only the God given grace of His strength keeps us from diving headlong into sin. Praise God for His mercy and grace. He is with us continually, we are comforted in the fact that someone is watching over us, and that He is in control. Blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever, amen.

Edited by irishman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This psalm is indeed a blessing! :-) God loves us sooooo very much, we cannot fathom the depths of His love! He has proven time and again to me that He will not abandon me - thus I shall never, never, never, never abandon Him! I love Him!