• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What does it mean to "call upon the Lord"?

brodave

• Members

I would like to know what you believe it means to "call upon the name of the Lord". I am convinced that we have put a lot of emphasis on the prayer. The key is the word "call" does this word mean pray? I believe it means: to trust; to depend upon; to believe. Much like when I teach a class I "call" on my experience to help me. Or the way my wife has called upon me for all most 30 years to take care of her. What do you think?

You are correct. The verbal statement is important but it is to be an expression of the inward condition of the heart. Very similar to baptism which is the answer of a good conscience toward God. Neither a baptism nor a statement of faith saves a person but if a person gets saved both should follow.

As it is written:

"Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

"2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;"

"Romans 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."

(Romans 10:13) - "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (I suppose this is the verse you are referring to)
I believe it means just that - call upon the Lord; call upon Him to save you, believe He can, knowing He is the only thing that can save you, a sinner, from the wrath to come.
And, I do think too much emphasis is put on "the prayer".
God bless,
Crushmaster.

I believe when you call, you cry out...not just praying in your mind...or in a small voice. Jesus wants us to worship him, and not be ashamed to lift our voices to Him.

2 Samuel 22:7 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears.

1 Chronicles 16:8 Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.

Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

I believe when you call, you cry out...not just praying in your mind...or in a small voice.

Then how would this verse be possible?

"John 19:38 And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus."

Here we have scripture that states that this man was a disciple of Jesus(if scripture says that he was a disciple there is no doubt that it was genuine), yet at this point in his life he was still ashamed to publicly admit it. Wrong? Yes, but even so he was clearly a believer.

Seth, calm down, I can see that you are stirred in whatever spirit that you have, but your post has nothing to do with calling upon the Lord. The scripture that you posted has nothing to do with the topic. Pull yourself together and think about what you are talking about.

Seth, calm down, I can see that you are stirred in whatever spirit that you have, but your post has nothing to do with calling upon the Lord. The scripture that you posted has nothing to do with the topic. Pull yourself together and think about what you are talking about.

I am perfectly calm, not angry in the least, no need to "pull myself together" lol. :Green However, I can tell pretty easily what you are here for. :thumbdown

The scripture I posted is quite applicable to the topic at hand as well. :lol

I think that maybe Seth needs to call upon the name of the Lord...LOL ..... Just kidding ...It is a very good scripture and I am glad that people began to call upon God or where would we be today.....

I think that maybe Seth needs to call upon the name of the Lord...LOL ....

Every day. :lol

Fortunately not for salvation however. I know whom I am believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. :clap:

I was just reading this in my Bible today: Genesis 4:26 "And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord." What do you guys think about this verse?

I would be inclined to think that it may have had something to do with God making himself less apparent then he had been previously. For example, at the time of Cain and Abel we see God working with men very closely, speaking to Cain, not having "respect" to his offering(apparently something they were aware of else it would not have upset Cain) etc. However, by the time of Noah God seems to have withdrawn himself a great deal. Cain believed God but didn't obey him, but by the time of Noah it seemed that "awareness" was mostly gone. I think "call upon the name of the Lord." in this passage is speaking of prayer which may not have been need before due to God dealing with them more directly.

• Members

I would be inclined to think that it may have had something to do with God making himself less apparent then he had been previously. For example, at the time of Cain and Abel we see God working with men very closely, speaking to Cain, not having "respect" to his offering(apparently something they were aware of else it would not have upset Cain) etc. However, by the time of Noah God seems to have withdrawn himself a great deal. Cain believed God but didn't obey him, but by the time of Noah it seemed that "awareness" was mostly gone. I think "call upon the name of the Lord." in this passage is speaking of prayer which may not have been need before due to God dealing with them more directly.

Well, that is exactly what confused me--this was a long time before Noah, Enos was Seth's son....doesn't seem like it had been that long. There are 6 names between Enos and Noah mentioned (and a whole lot of years considering how long they lived back then.....I'd need a calculator to tally it all!)