• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

favorite Evangelists

• Members

Probably many here have heard to Curtis Hutson for his fame is quite wide having been associated with the Sword of the Lord.

A pastor friend gave me several tapes of Curtis Hutson, and I instantly like his preaching.

Curtis on facebook

sermons by Curtis

I got acquainted with Curtis Hutson's preaching back when I was in college, but (& this is a serious question,) didn't he have a hand in the NKJV?

• Members

I like him and John R. Rice.

This is another serious question, that I've had since my college days. Didn't he not believe in tithing to your local IFB church? Didn't he believe you could send your tithes to the SOTL? O-k, make that two questions. LOL!

• Members

This is another serious question, that I've had since my college days. Didn't he not believe in tithing to your local IFB church? Didn't he believe you could send your tithes to the SOTL? O-k, make that two questions. LOL!

If he did believe that I've not encountered it in any of my readings from his works or in any of his sermons. I have read where he has spoke of the importance in giving beyond what one gives normally to their church weekly but never that one would be right to give to the Sword rather than their local church.

With regards to Bible versions, I'm not sure where Hutson stood, but Rice was not KJO. He was KJP, but on occasion would quote from the ASV or RSV even though he stated the RSV was not good to use for memorization. In one older message he placed the KJB as the best English Bible with the ASV being 2nd.

The Sword really became KJO under the leadership of Shelton Smith.

• Members

None of the big celebrity evangelists ever did much for me. Usually it was some small potatoes preacher that stopped by at my church or I heard on a tape someplace. A man named Clarence Hafelin probably had the most profound effect on me. Clarence is an uneducated man who grew up on a farm dropped out when his was in 7th grade and became a biker yet he probably has helped me personally more then just about any other person on earth. Clarence Hafelin was a Holiness preacher who switched over first to Regular Baptist then to IFB after he was convinced of some doctrines like eternal security and convicted of others like the so-called "second blessing".

Here's part of his testimony:

Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

Seems many want to focus on the ones most popular, and not the small potato man. Many there be that never thanks the small potato man until he is dead and gone.

I feel we do the same towards many of those that had a good Christian influence on us while we were growing up. We really do not appreciate them until its to late, and they have already died.

I know I've been guilty of the above while failing to thank several of those that were a good influence for me in my daily life, in church, and out of church. Without them I would probably be walking with the devil, instead of God right now. They made a larger, better impression, and were more influential to me than the preacher that preached the revival when I was saved in 1961, that was never part of my daily life.

• Members

If he did believe that I've not encountered it in any of my readings from his works or in any of his sermons. I have read where he has spoke of the importance in giving beyond what one gives normally to their church weekly but never that one would be right to give to the Sword rather than their local church.

With regards to Bible versions, I'm not sure where Hutson stood, but Rice was not KJO. He was KJP, but on occasion would quote from the ASV or RSV even though he stated the RSV was not good to use for memorization. In one older message he placed the KJB as the best English Bible with the ASV being 2nd.

The Sword really became KJO under the leadership of Shelton Smith.

Back in my college days, the Pres of the college (Carolina Baptist College,) Pastor Jerry Carter, of Reidsville Baptist Church, Reidsville, NC, said that he had sets of John R. Rice's books in the book store, but that he had taken his book on storehouse tithing out of each set, saying he (Rice) advocated sending your tithe to the SOTL & not giving it to your local church. Of course, Jerry Carter also believed in "paying your back tithe," something I had never heard of before & not much afterword, but that's another thread. BTW, I think the college is closed now, but that's also another thread. The fact that Dr. Rice even mentioned another book being the next to best other than the Bible is enough for me not to listen to anything else he had to say! As far as Curtis Hutson using other books & not the Bible, I have heard it on several occasions that he had used the Amplified Version in SS & had also heard he had a hand in translating the NKJV.

• Members

None of the big celebrity evangelists ever did much for me. Usually it was some small potatoes preacher that stopped by at my church or I heard on a tape someplace. A man named Clarence Hafelin probably had the most profound effect on me. Clarence is an uneducated man who grew up on a farm dropped out when his was in 7th grade and became a biker yet he probably has helped me personally more then just about any other person on earth. Clarence Hafelin was a Holiness preacher who switched over first to Regular Baptist then to IFB after he was convinced of some doctrines like eternal security and convicted of others like the so-called "second blessing".

Here's part of his testimony:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=A9bDO76HyZA

Sounds like an interesting fellow. Due to my screen-reader, Firefox & embedded objects not being the best of friends, I'm not able to check out the clip, but I will try to look him up on the web! Glad the LORD used him, to change your life! I think at the Judgment Seat of Christ, the BIG guns will take a backseat to the preacher who was just outright faithful.

• Members

Seems many want to focus on the ones most popular, and not the small potato man. Many there be that never thanks the small potato man until he is dead and gone.

I feel we do the same towards many of those that had a good Christian influence on us while we were growing up. We really do not appreciate them until its to late, and they have already died.

I know I've been guilty of the above while failing to thank several of those that were a good influence for me in my daily life, in church, and out of church. Without them I would probably be walking with the devil, instead of God right now. They made a larger, better impression, and were more influential to me than the preacher that preached the revival when I was saved in 1961, that was never part of my daily life.

Amen brother, ya said a mouthful there!
I've only seen the preacher who preached the night the LORD saved me once after that night & that was just a few months after that, at another local church's Revival meeting! I did however, find him on the web last year, contact him & tell him what the LORD did for me that night, May 7, 1993! He & I wouldn't run the same roads today, but the LORD used him back then, to preach the Gospel of my salvation!

• Members

Back in my college days, the Pres of the college (Carolina Baptist College,) Pastor Jerry Carter, of Reidsville Baptist Church, Reidsville, NC, said that he had sets of John R. Rice's books in the book store, but that he had taken his book on storehouse tithing out of each set, saying he (Rice) advocated sending your tithe to the SOTL & not giving it to your local church. Of course, Jerry Carter also believed in "paying your back tithe," something I had never heard of before & not much afterword, but that's another thread. BTW, I think the college is closed now, but that's also another thread. The fact that Dr. Rice even mentioned another book being the next to best other than the Bible is enough for me not to listen to anything else he had to say! As far as Curtis Hutson using other books & not the Bible, I have heard it on several occasions that he had used the Amplified Version in SS & had also heard he had a hand in translating the NKJV.

So far, everything I've read and listened to from Rice was spot on. I'm not sure how he came to the conclusion the ASV (which I'm not at all familiar with) was okay to read if one "couldn't" read the KJB. A few other fundamentalists in the early to mid 20th century preached and taught from the KJB but also would occasionally look at another particular version; not sure why. Thankfully, they brought multiple thousands to salvation in Christ.

I'm not familiar enough with Curtis Hutson to speak on him. I've read a couple of his booklets and articles but beyond that, nothing in depth enough to really know where he stood.

I do know some fundamentalists who will quote from the NKJV where they are in agreement with the KJB because they say it's easier for folks to understand but don't understand why any would touch the Amplified.

Myself, I stick with the KJB. If I happen to read a book, article or sermon where any other version is used, I'll look it up in my KJB if I don't know the verses by heart.

• Members

So far, everything I've read and listened to from Rice was spot on. I'm not sure how he came to the conclusion the ASV (which I'm not at all familiar with) was okay to read if one "couldn't" read the KJB. A few other fundamentalists in the early to mid 20th century preached and taught from the KJB but also would occasionally look at another particular version; not sure why. Thankfully, they brought multiple thousands to salvation in Christ.

I'm not familiar enough with Curtis Hutson to speak on him. I've read a couple of his booklets and articles but beyond that, nothing in depth enough to really know where he stood.

I do know some fundamentalists who will quote from the NKJV where they are in agreement with the KJB because they say it's easier for folks to understand but don't understand why any would touch the Amplified.

Myself, I stick with the KJB. If I happen to read a book, article or sermon where any other version is used, I'll look it up in my KJB if I don't know the verses by heart.

I don't think I've sat down & listened to an entire message from John R. Rice, but I've heard a lot about him, especially back in my college days, that we've already gone over here. As far as them bringing thousands to salvation, only the LORD does/can do that.
A lot of folk give Peter Ruckman credit for showing them the KJB is God's word, but the LORD showed me that long before I had ever heard of that whore monger! Again, that's another thread.

• Members

I don't think I've sat down & listened to an entire message from John R. Rice, but I've heard a lot about him, especially back in my college days, that we've already gone over here. As far as them bringing thousands to salvation, only the LORD does/can do that.
A lot of folk give Peter Ruckman credit for showing them the KJB is God's word, but the LORD showed me that long before I had ever heard of that whore monger! Again, that's another thread.

Of course any evangelist, pastor or lay person who helps one come to salvation in Christ is only an instrument used by the Holy Ghost.

The Lord led me to the KJB before I knew who Rice was and a good many years before I ever heard the name of Ruckman.

• Members

Dr. Ruckman is the man I give credit to although I was already suspicious about the NIV before I heard about him. I couldn't understand why whole passages were relegated to the footnotes suggesting they were errors.

• Members

Paris Riedhead was a preacher that was used in my life. Can't say what kind of church he came out of, but the few messages I heard him on were very convicting and helped me to change my perspective of things.
Try finding a message of his called "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" Just google the title, it'll come up. It's out there in written form, but listening to it is always better. His book on prayer is something else. It's called "Beyond petition, Six Steps to Successful Praying". Classic, classic classic.

E.M "Mac" Johnson was a great man of God I think. He pastored in Florida for years and then the Lord called him home. Not technically a evangelist, but he preached in a lot of churches and wrote a lot of good pamphlets and a good book called the Pain and Pleasure of Forgiveness. I'm pretty sure it's still available. He was anti "sinner's prayer" long before ti became fashionable to be such in the IFB churches.

Martyn-Lloyd Jones was a tremendous man whose writings influenced me in a great way. One old book (I think it might be out of print know) was a series of sermons on Psalms 73 called Faith on Trial. If you ever see that book, grab it and buy it, no matter the price.

God bless,
Calvary

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Of course any evangelist, pastor or lay person who helps one come to salvation in Christ is only an instrument used by the Holy Ghost.

The Lord led me to the KJB before I knew who Rice was and a good many years before I ever heard the name of Ruckman.

We're just planters/waterers, but God does all the work & giveth the increase! The Holy Ghost is the author of the KJB, so He's the one who guides folk to it!