• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

favorite Evangelists

• Members

I do not know very many evangelists I could say really "affected my life", per se.

The pastor of the church I got saved in, Orlan Wilhite, really affected me quite a bit in such a good way, even though it was a GARBC church, the pastor himself was very conservative and a GOOD man. Had been on the mission field in the Philippines for years and then took the church. Eventually the church wanted him out as he was too conservative, but while we were there, my family got into church and really grounded in the Word, and ministries, and everything. I have wonderful memories of that large church where my family got Christian friends and involved in ministries for the first time.

An evangelist at that time was Dr. Tom Williams, who I know is more ecumenical now, but at the time (in the 80's) he was pretty good and he really influenced my dad's life ALOT and I think maybe God used that somewhat, without his knowing, to prepare him for losing his own wife (my mom) in the future.

My favorite evangelists right now are Dr. Bill Behrens, Dr. Chuck Cofty, and Pastor Dan Souza....mostly because they are real men with BIG hearts for people and for the ministry. I don't have much use for the kind of evangelist that comes in looking fancy and expecting a big offering, and wanting to go to big important churches, and is too stuffy to talk to the kids and the regular old church members.

Guess this was a long winded answer to a simple question. haha.

No Ma'am, it was fine! I remember Tom Williams, from my days at WCLW, Eden/Reidsville, NC! Hey PreacherE!
The GM, (General Manager,) came in one day, with a tape of him, (Dr. Williams,) from Focus and told me to play it! If memory serves me correctly, we even played the opening comments from James Dobson! Other than that, it was a good message.
AMEN, on your comments about most Evangelists! To be totally honest, the ones I mentioned in the OP, are the only Evangelists I would let in my pulpit, if I was pastoring!
BTW, what's "GARBC?"

• Members

Ryan, Ken Sparks is back in Connecticut now and not in Evangelism anymore. He is the assistant pastor at a church about 20 minutes from me in Plainville, Ct. He runs a Jr camp every year that my kids attend. Just that you would like to know what he is up to now. I remember him from high school, he was a great encouragement to me when he was a Senior and I was a freshman.

Here is the church website if you want to see what he is up to.
http://fbbc-ct.org/

Thanks BroMatt. God bless. :)

• Members

GARBC = General Association of Regular Baptist Churches

Thank you. I've seen the Abrev. before, but never heard what it meant! From that, it sounds like an interesting bunch. Maybe I'm confusing them with the Old Regular Baptists, but don't they have a lot of strange beliefs and practices?

• Members

Thank you. I've seen the Abrev. before, but never heard what it meant! From that, it sounds like an interesting bunch. Maybe I'm confusing them with the Old Regular Baptists, but don't they have a lot of strange beliefs and practices?

Hmm not sure about now but as far as I know, its basically very similar to the Southern Baptist Convention...????

When I was there in the 80's it was a fairly conservative "neo" church...music not bad, girls wore pants but not to church too much...ran about 1000 ppl, had a large Christian school which used ABeka/BJU curriculum. Had a strong soulwinning and visitation program as well as a bus and van ministry. I was only there from 4th - 6th grade when we moved away...which was just as well because then the pastor retired and they got a new one and its still there but quite neo, now. Many of our good friends there also moved away, or changed churches.

• Members

I was actually baptized in a GARB church and was member of one for a while. They are prominent up in New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio. George Washington was actually baptized in a Regular Baptist Church. They've been pretty much consumed by the Calvinists so don't do anymore soul winning, don't have nothing to do with the KJV and hold to a peculiar belief that carnal Christians will spend a 1,000 in the lake of fire.

• Members

I was actually baptized in a GARB church and was member of one for a while. They are prominent up in New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio. George Washington was actually baptized in a Regular Baptist Church. They've been pretty much consumed by the Calvinists so don't do anymore soul winning, don't have nothing to do with the KJV and hold to a peculiar belief that carnal Christians will spend a 1,000 in the lake of fire.

This church was in Iowa and they were far from being Calvinists..... the pastor was KJV but I will say the church in general was largely into other versions, forgot about that part. All the preaching and kids classes were taught out of KJV at that time although I'm sure now they don't.

• Members

Hmm not sure about now but as far as I know, its basically very similar to the Southern Baptist Convention...????

When I was there in the 80's it was a fairly conservative "neo" church...music not bad, girls wore pants but not to church too much...ran about 1000 ppl, had a large Christian school which used ABeka/BJU curriculum. Had a strong soulwinning and visitation program as well as a bus and van ministry. I was only there from 4th - 6th grade when we moved away...which was just as well because then the pastor retired and they got a new one and its still there but quite neo, now. Many of our good friends there also moved away, or changed churches.

Thanks for the info. Not a fan of SBC, so I'd stay away from it/them! I reckon you could call me a true IFB, although, I'm dependent on the LORD, as all IFB's should be! It's been said (even recently to me,) that, some IFB's are independent of God and I'd say that's true, for the arrogant ones!
Well, enough of that! Thanks.

• Members

HMMMMMMM! Interesting!
BTW, just curious, how'd you get up here, since you're not IFB, according to your "group" title?

• Members

Maze Jackson.... Gone Home
Bob Steele...... Bristol, VA

Maze Jackson, who could forget him! I sung at his last Revival Meeting in Greensboro, NC! I think that's the only time I met him! BTW, his last complete Revival Meeting, was at an SBC church in the town I lived in at the time, Brown Summit, NC! I didn't get to attend, 'cause I was away in school. The LORD has used and still is using him, through the years!
Bob Steele, can't say I've heard of him, but I'm glad the LORD has used him, to change your life! BTW, just curious, where ya go to church? You go to Salley's Chapel, or where? Brother Mike couldn't remember and I don't know!
Thanks for the reply!

• Members

Another one for Dr. Roberson! The LORD used him over the years, to influence many people!
Who's Sam Gipp? I know I've seen him up here, but I have absolutely no idea, who he is! Just curious!

I went to Tri-County Baptist Temple, pastored by Homer Smith, for three years as a teenager, and every Lee Roberson came to preach. He energy and zeal for souls influenced me, and I liked how he started preaching before he got to the platform. In Bible college, I tried doing that in our "Prep and Deliver of Sermons" class and was told not too. Oh well!

Sam Gipp is a big time hero of mine. I've known him as far back as I can think, he has a great testimony and his ministry is to be "a friend to churches". He is a very strong KJV supporter and was on the John Ankerberg Show defending it from the likes of James White and company.

Here's a link to some of his preaching and teaching: Sam Gipp Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

I went to Tri-County Baptist Temple, pastored by Homer Smith, for three years as a teenager, and every Lee Roberson came to preach. He energy and zeal for souls influenced me, and I liked how he started preaching before he got to the platform. In Bible college, I tried doing that in our "Prep and Deliver of Sermons" class and was told not too. Oh well!

Sam Gipp is a big time hero of mine. I've known him as far back as I can think, he has a great testimony and his ministry is to be "a friend to churches". He is a very strong KJV supporter and was on the John Ankerberg Show defending it from the likes of James White and company.

Here's a link to some of his preaching and teaching: Sam Gipp

Thanks for the reply!
Back when I was in Bible College in that same type of class, they were trying to teach us to "YELL!" Didn't know, there was an art to such a thing! They said I couldn't do it! Well, how 'bout that! Wonder what they'd say, if they heard me preach, now! Sometimes, I'm quieter than others. It all depends on how the LORD permits.
I'll check the link out, after we get back from the PO.

• Members

Sam Gipp cracks me up, I was reviewing his site a little further, and I read this in the small print about being on his newsletter:

Have You Changed Your Address?
Frequently, I have people tell me, "Hey! Why don't I get your letter anymore?" I ask them, "Did you move?" "Yes." "Did you send your new address to the return address on the envelope?" "No." "Do I look clairvoyant?" Soooooo, if you move and want to keep getting the letter you will need to send your new address to:
Bible Believers Baptist Church
660 Constitution Ave.
Stowe, PA, 19464

or e-mail: gippletterupdates@msn.com

or call: 610-323-1410

Every letter that is returned because of a bad address costs us 70 cents, and I have better uses for our funds than that.

But, some folks have simply been dropped by the computer. Why? Because computers are retarded and they just love to do that. If that has happened contact Christy at the above address or phone number and she'll get it squared away.

• Members

Sam Gipp cracks me up, I was reviewing his site a little further, and I read this in the small print about being on his newsletter:

Have You Changed Your Address?
Frequently, I have people tell me, "Hey! Why don't I get your letter anymore?" I ask them, "Did you move?" "Yes." "Did you send your new address to the return address on the envelope?" "No." "Do I look clairvoyant?" Soooooo, if you move and want to keep getting the letter you will need to send your new address to:
Bible Believers Baptist Church
660 Constitution Ave.
Stowe, PA, 19464

or e-mail: gippletterupdates@msn.com

or call: 610-323-1410

Every letter that is returned because of a bad address costs us 70 cents, and I have better uses for our funds than that.

But, some folks have simply been dropped by the computer. Why? Because computers are retarded and they just love to do that. If that has happened contact Christy at the above address or phone number and she'll get it squared away.

Heh, that's funny and a shameless plug!