• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Anyone have a good book that you've read recently, or are looking forward to reading?

I just finished Your Own Jesus by Mark Hall. It's a very good read for anyone interested. You really learn about having a personal relationship with Jesus versus only using your parents' Jesus.

Another one, I can't remember the title at the moment, but it was about the apostle Paul and was written by FB Meyer. You get to know a lot of the man.

I'm currently reading 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die by John Piper, and I'm looking forward to reading Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur and 50 People Every Christian Should Know.

• Members

I don't know about Piper, but both John MacArthur and John R. Rice have prOBlems with the KJB. MacArthur even questions the blood of Christ. He's a smart man, but I will not knowingly read his material. He also coined the term "grace giving" instead of tithing. I know these things first-hand, having heard his cassettes from a friend at work years ago. MacArthur used, read, and believed the NIV at the time, and I assume he still does. I am amazed at the number of Baptists that seem to follow him; though he does call himself a "fundamentalist". Makes one wonder how he defines the term "fundamentalist"?

• Members

I don't know about Piper, but both John MacArthur and John R. Rice have prOBlems with the KJB. MacArthur even questions the blood of Christ. He's a smart man, but I will not knowingly read his material. He also coined the term "grace giving" instead of tithing. I know these things first-hand, having heard his cassettes from a friend at work years ago. MacArthur used, read, and believed the NIV at the time, and I assume he still does. I am amazed at the number of Baptists that seem to follow him; though he does call himself a "fundamentalist". Makes one wonder how he defines the term "fundamentalist"?

The John R. Rice book I referred to uses the KJB only and was firt published in 1942.

• Members

There are certainly areas with which I disagree with MacArthur (and I'm sure it keeps him up at night too! :P); for starters, his position on Lordship salvation is very suspect, and I wouldn't read anything about the issue from him (or would at least use caution). However, none of the above would be reasons for me to not read either him and Dr. Rice.

But this isn't a thread to discuss these men, it's a thread to discuss books. Have you read any good books lately? :)

• Members

There are certainly areas with which I disagree with MacArthur (and I'm sure it keeps him up at night too! :P); for starters, his position on Lordship salvation is very suspect, and I wouldn't read anything about the issue from him (or would at least use caution). However, none of the above would be reasons for me to not read either him and Dr. Rice.

But this isn't a thread to discuss these men, it's a thread to discuss books. Have you read any good books lately? :)

The only MacArthur book I've read is by the younger, jr., called "Faith Works" and that book gave a great explanation of what is and isn't "Lordship Salvation". Simply put, Lordship Salvation says that if one truly accepts Jesus as Saviour, they will also accept Him as Lord.

I bought that book with a bunch of Christian books at a yard sale and it was worth the small price and the time to read.