• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Polygamy

• Members

Why does it seem like God allows, possibly even supports, polygamy in the OT?

In 2 Chr 24 vv. 2-3, we read that the priest Jehoiada gives Joash two wives and also that Joash did right in the sight of the LORD.

And Joash did that which was right in the sight of the LORD all the days of Jehoiada the priest. And Jehoiada took for him two wives; and he begat sons and daughters.

And in 2 Sam 12, Nathan tells David God gave him his wives, and He would even give him more.

And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; and I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

It seems like the NT views the only valid marital relationship as being between one man and one woman, but the OT seems kinda supportive to me. Anyone have thoughts on it?

• Members

Mt 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

I don't feel that God supported more than one wife for a man during the Old Testament Days, I feel that He allowed it. If God supported more than one wife during the Old Testament Days, them changed to supporting one wife in the New Testament Days, them that would mean God changed.

Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of JacOB are not consumed.

• Members

I agree. I think God always intended for marriage to be a relationship between one man and one woman (and the verse you quoted from Matthew is a quote from Genesis, which seems to support that--clear back with Adam and Eve).

The article on GotQuestions.org (http://www.gotquestions.org/polygamy.html)seems to suggest God allowed it to protect the women, who outnumbered the men, and to allow the human race to expand more quickly. However, wouldn't that make God a pragmatist, allowing the ends to justify the means?

• Members

Look at the sin God is allowing to take place today, does it not show that He respects man's free will?

Many seem to conclude it's a sign that it's OK, yet the truth be one day sin will be punished. Yet God has already judged this world, the sentence has been proclaimed, and God will one day destroy it.

• Members

Look at the sin God is allowing to take place today, does it not show that He respect man's free will?

While this is true, the verses I posted above don't really seem to portray God as condemning it. Do you agree with the viewpoint that the article I posted presents?

• Members

I agree. I think God always intended for marriage to be a relationship between one man and one woman (and the verse you quoted from Matthew is a quote from Genesis, which seems to support that--clear back with Adam and Eve).

The article on GotQuestions.org (http://www.gotquestions.org/polygamy.html)seems to suggest God allowed it to protect the women, who outnumbered the men, and to allow the human race to expand more quickly. However, wouldn't that make God a pragmatist, allowing the ends to justify the means?

I have heard that, too, that God allowed it because of those reasons.

However at the very beginning God set it up as one woman/one man. Look at Adam, who never married anyone but Eve (even though granted, he would have been the oldest man on the earth until he died....but still, I don't think age mattered so much back then.)....It was as people got rebellious they started getting extra wives. If you follow through the Bible, usually people who did marry several wives ended up with "several prOBlems" too! JOB was one of the most revered men in the Bible and he only had one wife. Abraham as well, and he ran into big time trouble with Hagar. David also was noted for women being his downfall, as was Solomon. Joseph only had one wife and was another very important man in the Bible, and Noah, I believe, stayed true to his wife until she died. I also do not read much of Polygamy in the New Testament, particularly in the church age.

When the Pharisees asked about divorce, Jesus said Moses allowed it only due to the hardness of their hearts...which I assume polygamy was also due to the hardness of their hearts.

• Members

I have heard that, too, that God allowed it because of those reasons.

However at the very beginning God set it up as one woman/one man. Look at Adam, who never married anyone but Eve (even though granted, he would have been the oldest man on the earth until he died....but still, I don't think age mattered so much back then.)....It was as people got rebellious they started getting extra wives. If you follow through the Bible, usually people who did marry several wives ended up with "several prOBlems" too! JOB was one of the most revered men in the Bible and he only had one wife. Abraham as well, and he ran into big time trouble with Hagar. David also was noted for women being his downfall, as was Solomon. Joseph only had one wife and was another very important man in the Bible, and Noah, I believe, stayed true to his wife until she died. I also do not read much of Polygamy in the New Testament, particularly in the church age.

When the Pharisees asked about divorce, Jesus said Moses allowed it only due to the hardness of their hearts...which I assume polygamy was also due to the hardness of their hearts.

This is true. It seems like multiple wives always caused them prOBlems, and it's OBvious that God's plan for marriage is one man and one woman.

• Administrators

Solomon is a great example of a polygamist who reaped what he sowed. The Bible even tells us that the women turned his heart (1 Kings 11). God is merciful, and for some reason allows sin to continue for a time - but the reaping always comes! BHis allowance shouldn't be viewed as approval, though! Rather, it should be viewed as allowing us time to realize that what we've done is wrong and repent of it (remember that the goodness of God leads us to repentance). As Solomon did (although not repentence of sin on his part) - bemoaning in Ecclesiastes that life is vanity. This man had everything the human heart could desire and still felt life was empty. Why was that? Well, the multitude of his wives was a good start.

As Kita pointed out - many of those in the OT who had multiple wives had misery in their lives. Any time we follow a path that is contrary to God's way brings misery...sometimes at a later date, sometimes right away.

• Members

Mt 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

I don't feel that God supported more than one wife for a man during the Old Testament Days, I feel that He allowed it. If God supported more than one wife during the Old Testament Days, them changed to supporting one wife in the New Testament Days, them that would mean God changed.

Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of JacOB are not consumed.

You can't argue with scripture!
Just because God allowed something, doesn't mean he supported it!

• Members

Look at the sin God is allowing to take place today, does it not show that He respects man's free will?

Many seem to conclude it's a sign that it's OK, yet the truth be one day sin will be punished. Yet God has already judged this world, the sentence has been proclaimed, and God will one day destroy it.

AMEN!

• Members

Solomon is a great example of a polygamist who reaped what he sowed.

Solomon: "Who that over there?"

Solomon's servant: "Her name is Rachel."

Solomon: "I think I love her!"

Solomon's servant: "That doesn't surprise me."

Solomon: "I want to marry her!"

Solomon's servant: "You already did, a year ago!" :lol:

• Members

Adam only had so many ribs :bleh:

Yeah, roger on that!
BTW, someone mentioned earlier, how Abraham only had one wife. Are you talking about while Sarah was alive? According to Gen. 16:3, Sarai gave Hagar to Abram to be his wife! Now we all know that wasn't God's way!
Abraham actually married again, after Sarah died! Her name was Keturah, Gen. 25:1.