• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did anyone else miss high school?

• Members

I just recently had my last day of high school, and I'm already missing it. Most of my friends I'll still see in church Sundays and Wednesdays, but I'm still going to miss seeing them everyday (and then barely ever seeing them once we all go to different colleges) and the ones I won't see at church. I'm going to miss the structure, routine, loving teachers, safety, everything. Did anyone else miss high school once they graduated? How did you get over it?

• Members

Relax. I was there not very long ago. What you are feeling sounds exactly like what I felt. I cried at my last day of high school , cried at graduation, cried at senior recognition day at church, cried.. well you get the idea. You will still keep in touch with your friends. It will be weird the first semester, but you will get into a routine, and soon you will get to know your professors and you will make friends at college. You will of course keep in touch with your old high school friends. You will visit them and they will visit you and you will see each other when you are all home. You won't make your best friends the first week or even month and college and it will be different, but I will promise you if you just hang in there you will make some life long friends at college while still keeping your good high school friends.

Get excited for this new chapter in your life! It's okay to be sad to leave your home and friends, but remember that the next four years are going to be full of new challenges and fun and excitement and growth. I wish you the best!

• Members

I just recently had my last day of high school, and I'm already missing it. Most of my friends I'll still see in church Sundays and Wednesdays, but I'm still going to miss seeing them everyday (and then barely ever seeing them once we all go to different colleges) and the ones I won't see at church. I'm going to miss the structure, routine, loving teachers, safety, everything. Did anyone else miss high school once they graduated? How did you get over it?

I went into the military, they kept me busy enough I forgot about high school. Actually, I was ecstatic when high school was over! I'm sure it'll pass and you'll be fine.

• Members

Relax. I was there not very long ago. What you are feeling sounds exactly like what I felt. I cried at my last day of high school , cried at graduation, cried at senior recognition day at church, cried.. well you get the idea. You will still keep in touch with your friends. It will be weird the first semester, but you will get into a routine, and soon you will get to know your professors and you will make friends at college. You will of course keep in touch with your old high school friends. You will visit them and they will visit you and you will see each other when you are all home. You won't make your best friends the first week or even month and college and it will be different, but I will promise you if you just hang in there you will make some life long friends at college while still keeping your good high school friends.

Get excited for this new chapter in your life! It's okay to be sad to leave your home and friends, but remember that the next four years are going to be full of new challenges and fun and excitement and growth. I wish you the best!

It's good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks for your encouragement! Would you say you made closer friends in high school or college?

• Members

It's good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks for your encouragement! Would you say you made closer friends in high school or college?

For me, my close college friendships were much more indepth than my close high school friendships.

• Administrators

Live4Him: All throughout the rest of your life you will go through change. Some changes will be easy, some not so much. For many people, the end of high school is hard - especially if that person has been active in lots of things and has lots of friends. It is bittersweet, because the future beckons, but the past has hold.

Take heart, though. As you go on to college, you will make new friends. Your old friends will always be there, even though you and they will change some.

We are in the empty nest phase of our lives. It has its ups and its downs. I miss my son so much - and yet, it's nice to be just the two of us again. Soon (nothing on the horizon), we will welcome a daughter-in-law, bringing more change. And then grandkids (something I AM looking forward to very much! :icon_mrgreen: ).

As I look back on my life, I can say that each phase, like the empty nest, has its ups and its downs. The thing to remember is that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He holds you in His hand and has wonderful things in store for you.

We moved around so much that I went to a different school every year of high school. Didn't have much of a chance to make close friends. Consider yourself very blessed that you have been able to forge good friendships!

Let yourself grieve this passing time for a bit. But don't dwell in it...Look forward to new things, new people, and a richer life in Christ!

• Members

I think they're equally close, just different. You go through different parts of your life, equally important, with two different groups of friends. When all is said and done, you will have friends from high school and college that you know would drop everything to help you out.

i know it's scary right now, there are so many unknowns when you are about to go to college. Just remember that every freshman is in the same boat as you. You are not alone! You will miss your friends at first but I promise soon college will start to feel like home.

• Members

I am much closer to the core group of friends I went to high school with than I am with my own family. I lived with those guys for almost six years and went on to college with a couple of them, so we are a close group. One of my friends got married last year and all of the groomsmen were from our group of friends, despite him having a brother, fraternity brothers and cousins. Several of my biggest clients I got through one of my high school friends, whereas I don't know of anyone from college that I continue a meaningful personal and/or business relationship with. There are only a few of my fraternity brothers that I still keep in touch with.

• Members

For me, my close college friendships were much more indepth than my close high school friendships.

I have talked with a couple of people who also said they're closer to their college friends than their HS friends. Why do you think this is? For you, is it just because you basically lived together? Or maybe because all of you are going through such an extreme change in your lives?

Live4Him: All throughout the rest of your life you will go through change. Some changes will be easy, some not so much. For many people, the end of high school is hard - especially if that person has been active in lots of things and has lots of friends. It is bittersweet, because the future beckons, but the past has hold.

Take heart, though. As you go on to college, you will make new friends. Your old friends will always be there, even though you and they will change some.

We are in the empty nest phase of our lives. It has its ups and its downs. I miss my son so much - and yet, it's nice to be just the two of us again. Soon (nothing on the horizon), we will welcome a daughter-in-law, bringing more change. And then grandkids (something I AM looking forward to very much! :icon_mrgreen: ).

As I look back on my life, I can say that each phase, like the empty nest, has its ups and its downs. The thing to remember is that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He holds you in His hand and has wonderful things in store for you.

We moved around so much that I went to a different school every year of high school. Didn't have much of a chance to make close friends. Consider yourself very blessed that you have been able to forge good friendships!

Let yourself grieve this passing time for a bit. But don't dwell in it...Look forward to new things, new people, and a richer life in Christ!

The bolded part is definately what God has been reminding me about lately. :)

Thanks again, guys, for all of your comments. I enjoy reading your stories and thoughts!

• Members

I have talked with a couple of people who also said they're closer to their college friends than their HS friends. Why do you think this is? For you, is it just because you basically lived together? Or maybe because all of you are going through such an extreme change in your lives?

I think it's both. For me, I have some of my best friends from college that were my sorority sisters that I lived with and grew up with and even though we may be a thousand miles away in some cases I still feel like I'm growing up with them as we go through this next stage of life together. I also have a friend from high school, or it might be more accurate to say elementary school, that I know from almost my whole life and I feel like she's part of my family in a little different way but no less important. There are a few other friends from high school that I am still close with. In this day and age of facebook it's even easier :) I will say that you certainly learn who your real friends are because it takes a little bit of effort to maintain friendships, but you will for the ones that matter.

From the standpoint of teachers, I had a mentor in high school and I never thought I'd find another. I did. From an academic standpoint, if you are interested in a particular subject or class, introduce yourself to the professor, ask questions and become acquainted. For me, there was a professor that I really respected his work in the field that I was interested in. I got an internship and asked him to advise it. Now I was just a sophomore and he didn't know me from Adam, but I asked and he said yes. He ended up being a mentor to me, advised my senior thesis, and has been a huge influence on my academic life.

The next four (or more) years will be filled with academic, personal and social growth. Don't worry too much because I'm sure you are well prepared. I'm sorry if my answers have been overly long but I really relate to where you are because you sound a lot like me when I graduated. I know it's easier said than done, but if you have an open mind you will have a wonderful experience and learn a lot!

• Members

The next four (or more) years will be filled with academic, personal and social growth. Don't worry too much because I'm sure you are well prepared. I'm sorry if my answers have been overly long but I really relate to where you are because you sound a lot like me when I graduated. I know it's easier said than done, but if you have an open mind you will have a wonderful experience and learn a lot!

No need to be sorry! Your posts have been really helpful! :)

• Members

I miss it because I was able to play sports in high school. But, college is a lot more fun then high school.

I'll second that! College is a lot of fun and an awesome time in your life!