• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Does anyone else notice a vast difference between these four verses in the NIV and KJB? Comments?

Luke 11:1-4 NIV:

11 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

2 He said to them, “When you pray, say:

“ ‘Father,a

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come.b

3 Give us each day our daily bread.

4 Forgive us our sins,

for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.c

And lead us not into temptation.d’ ”

Luke 11:1-4 KJB:

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. 2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. 3 Give us day by daya our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil

• Members

Yes, the NIV is known for its omission of words from the infallible scripture. To change or omit even the appearance of a letter (tittle) or even the smallest of letters (jot) is to tamper with the Word of God. Why is doing the will of God omitted? and why does it appear as if we have the power to forgive the sins of others? We know that Satan is known for his rebellion and wanting to do things his own way, and for taking scripture out of context. Who's really behind the NIV translation?

God Bless!

Edited by (Omega)

• Members

The version of the Lord's Prayer that is usually said in church or in private prayer comes as I have always known and learned as a child comes from the Gospel according to Matthew. It differs slightly from the version found in the Gospel according to Luke:

"Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For thine is the kingdom
The power and the glory
For ever and ever Amen."

I think I understand basically what you're saying about the NIV translation, though. It is not my preferred translation.

• Members

I recently heard a pastor who was preaching from the NIV. He began his sermon talking about how much different the Lord's prayer is in Luke as compared to Matthew. Then he spoke a bit about why this may be before going into his sermon.

It wasn't until last night that the Holy Ghost brought this to mind and I remembered I had a parallel KJB/NIV. I got that Bible out and looked at the verses side-by-side. In the KJB the Lord's prayer recorded in Luke is little different from that recorded in Matthew while what they have in the NIV is indeed very much different.

In looking at the notes in the NIV I saw that the NIV mentions that "some manuscripts" have that which they chose to leave out. Hmmm, why did they leave them out? Why make the Lord's prayer in Luke to become so much different? OBviously doing this doesn't enhance the Word of God, make it more clear or better bring about the unity of Scripture. In fact, leaving out what they did makes the Word appear less clear, possibly inconsistent, less clear and as if there is less unity in Scripture.

What a shame this pastor was using the NIV. The main point of his message was good but I know his message would have been so much greater had he been preaching from the KJB where he would have preached upon all that was left out of the NIV.