• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Peter Ruckman

• Members

I don't mean to sound nasty, but its typical that the nut cases with a following, have followers that defend and justify that person until the bitter end.

Comparing Peter Ruckman to the Bible, the Bible judges him as a false teacher according to the New Testament, and disqualified from the pastorate. There is no need for further defense of the man, God lays down the final rules here.

That "nut case" is reason most IFB churches are KJVO today.

You can make an argument for him being disqualified as a pastor, but he's not a false teacher.

He may teach some things you don't agree with, but he certainly doesn't teach "damnable heresy" or anything that would make him deserving of the label of a false teacher.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm sorry, I don't think Peter Ruckman is the father of the "KJV only" "movement"....

He's not, David Otis Fuller is.

My point is, the new Bible versions began to infiltrate IFB churches back in the mid 60s, and it was Dr. Ruckman that was leading the fight against it.

If you don't believe me, ask Gail Riplinger, author of New Age Bible Versions,or Dr. Bill Grady, author of Final Authority, or Dr. Sam Gipp, author of An Understandable History of the Bible.

• Members

Me either...and I don't agree with him that the KJV corrects the Greek.

"The Greek" is an ambiguous term used to refer to something that doesn't exist anymore - the originals. Because we don't have the originals, we go with the preserved word in English, the KJV.

There are tons of different Greek manuscripts, and they don't agree with each other all of the time or agree with the King James all of the time. When that happens, what do you do? Edited by Rick Schworer

• Administrators

Look, this could develop into a big argument and I'm not going to argue. I've had major prOBlems with wrong teachings coming from PBI, my husband has and others have. If you want to continue to hold him up high, that's fine. He is a man, and a man who, I believe, has too high an opinion of himself. The quote in the OP is indicative of that.

• Members

He is a man, and a man who, I believe, has too high an opinion of himself. The quote in the OP is indicative of that.

You're prOBably right about that one, he has a lot of faults.

I just believing in being fair to people. I'm glad God is merciful and is still willing to use people that are flawed.

• Members

Its one thing to be fair but God has set down specific rules about pastors, and about doctrine. Leaders are held to a higher level of responsibility and accountability.

• Members

Its one thing to be fair but God has set down specific rules about pastors, and about doctrine. Leaders are held to a higher level of responsibility and accountability.

Agreed, I just don't like it when everything the man has ever done is automatically dismissed, for whatever reason. I wouldn't be a member of his church, for reasons you prOBably wouldn't think of, but I'm not about to slam everything he's ever done.

David did a lot of good things in his life for the Lord, but he also did a lot of wicked things. God still used him, and God has used Dr. Ruckman many times. It doesn't mean I'd want to be a member of his church, but I don't think it's right to slam him like people do - just like I don't think it's right for Dr. Ruckman to slam people a lot of times in the way he does.

• Members

Perhaps a kinder approach to the subject would help. We can present our cases, pro or con, regarding Ruckman or any other without using inflammatory terms, insults, exagerations, etc.

What little I've read of Ruckman I know he has some oddities. I know that whether he is qualified as pastor because of his divorces depends upon what one believes "husband of one wife" means (some say one wife only, ever; some say one wife at a time; some say one wife until death do they part and then they may remarry and still be viewed as the "husband of one wife"; etc.) but on the positive side, from what I've read Ruckman was one of the leaders in early KJO movement and effective in this area.

As for MacArthur, I believe there are two (Sr. and Jr.) and I suppose most refer to the elder when speaking of MacArthur, but I could be wrong. I know very little of this man. I've read a few quotes of his in books or postings and none of those were unbiblical. I read one book by MacArthur which came with a bundle of books I bought at a yard sale some years ago and I didn't encounter any unbiblical teachings in that book. All that said, this man could have some bad books, he could hold to some bad teachings, he could have led some astray and I wouldn't know about it.

Since the NIV was mentioned with the ascertion that those who use such are washed up, I'll just say I know some very devout men of God who use the NIV and they and the church they attend is far from being washed up. They are by far walking more in the Spirit and about the Father's business than even the vast majority of Baptist churches around them.

This is not to say I favor or endorse the NIV. In point of fact, I find the NIV to be one of the poorest versions I've read. For myself, I was unable to get spiritual meat from the NIV and I don't understand how others can, and do, but the evidence is clear that they are. With all that said, I would certainly agree that most who use the NIV are of the watered down variety; at least that's my experience.

• Members

I have NEVER spoke of Dr. Ruckman the way he speaks of others (and yes I've heard him preach once...)...he is rude, and crude, and mean. And I don't consider myself that...at least not most of the time. haha. Certainly my husband is NEVER EVER that way in the pulpit. Its not of God.

• Administrators

It seems that Ruckman is getting stranger and stranger with some things that he is "finding" in the Bible. I think maybe he did do some good things for fundamentalism in the beginning of his ministry, but what he has been preaching in the last few years or so is harming fundamentalism.

• Members

It seems that Ruckman is getting stranger and stranger with some things that he is "finding" in the Bible. I think maybe he did do some good things for fundamentalism in the beginning of his ministry, but what he has been preaching in the last few years or so is harming fundamentalism.

Even from the limited amount I know of Ruckman I'd have to agree with this!

• Members

He's not, David Otis Fuller is.

My point is, the new Bible versions began to infiltrate IFB churches back in the mid 60s, and it was Dr. Ruckman that was leading the fight against it.

If you don't believe me, ask Gail Riplinger, author of New Age Bible Versions,or Dr. Bill Grady, author of Final Authority, or Dr. Sam Gipp, author of An Understandable History of the Bible.

i have read two of the three books you mentioned, and nowhere do they so much a mention PR as far as I can remember. Yes, he stood, but he didn't necessary "lead the way" for all KJB believers, Many colleges were teaching the truth all along.