• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saved at the age of 3

• Members

Most children and many adults can't comprehend the Gospel fully, but I don't think this is a prerequisite to salvation. All we have to do is trust in the Lord Jesus. Many children do this with a beautiful and innocent childlike faith that grows and matures as they do. Again, for people who have this experience it is more of a journey than a conversion experience. However, it is erroneous for us to assume that people who claim to be saved as young children are not really saved, thus causing them to question their salvation. I think if a child understands that Jesus died for their sins and rose again that's all that's needed for now.

One thing for sure, one cannot be saved until they know that they are lost and in need of being saved. Therefore they have to be able to comprehend that they are lost, that they must confess, repent, them accept Jesus as Savior. This is a lot for a 3, 4, 5, or even a 10 year old to comprehend. One thing a young child will do is copy what they see being done. See what pleases their parents and or those they care for and do it.

Yet as I stated, this might be possible for a few at a young age, yet you need to use caution.

My experience only, and I am not saying that anyone here does or has done this.

Some people, pastors, preachers, teachers, parents push young children to be saved in many different way, some of them may not think they're pushing these children to be saved yet be doing that very thing, its a very dangerous thing to do. That is the jOB for the Holy Spirit, not us.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well said, CPR. I do not know the "date and time" of my conversion, but I've never doubted for a moment that I'm a child of God. My four year old insists that he is "saved." (My husband, after preaching a message which happened to include the gospel, looked up and saw him kneeling by his chair, praying that God would forgive him of his sins.) Well, only God knows, but I'm not agonizing over whether or not he is...He's certainly taking steps in that direction, and I'm grateful for that. As his understanding of doctrine increases, we are praying that he will continue to affirm what he is being taught, and will grow into a rock-solid faith that cannot be shaken later in his life. Of course, somewhere along that line, he will consciously respond to the gospel by accepting its truth, repenting of his sins and placing his faith in Christ's finished work for salvation.

Side note: Our three older kids (ages 11, 10, and 7) have all made professions of faith, but we are holding them off on baptism (public profession before the church) and participation in the Lord's Table until later...until both they and we are sure that they have reached an adequate understanding of what Christianity is, and are sure that they have made a conscious, properly informed decision to follow Christ, no matter what the cost. I can understand why others might do things differently, but I believe our approach helps to avoid some of the pitfalls we've seen some of our Baptist brethren run into...constant doubting, trusting in a "date and time" or a "prayer" instead of the finished work of Christ, repeated professions/baptisms, etc. I don't know...Maybe our kids will still struggle, which won't be a bad thing, if the struggle is based on truth instead of a works-based salvation mentality ("Did I say the right words?" "Did I really understand?" "Did I really repent?" What if I don't remember what I said? etc.). We work with so many kids and teens that ask these questions, and really never reach full assurance of salvation, because it's all about them, and not about what Christ did for them.

Thanks, Annie. I agree. I will again reference the emphasis on a "conversion experience" that I think people falsely expect. It sounds like for you and your children, as well as for me, you had faith in Jesus in a young age and understanding grew as you did. Again, it's a journey vs. dramatic conversion and I think both ways are equally valid. It just depends on where you are in life.

As far as Communion, I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting until children understand it fully. At my church, there isn't a formalized First Communion ceremony, but any baptized person is welcomed to participate. This, of course, includes children. The practice differs among families and there is no set rule, but parents are generally encouraged to instruct their children especially when they show interest and involve them when they come to an understanding.

As far as if they remember the day or the time? I don't know, they may have moments as teens where they come across someone who makes them question their salvation. I would just remind them that if they have faith it doesn't really matter if they remember exactly when or what they said. Like you said, it's about what Jesus did for them, not about them.

I also agree, I feel kinda sad when I hear of people going through repeated salvation experiences and baptisms. I think it's a situation where they need to talk to someone (like a pastor) to deal with the underlying doubt. We should always ask for forgiveness for our sins and we recommit in a way our lives to Christ each time we take Communion, but this is very different then asking for salvation over and over again. And I certainly don't understand baptism more than once. To me that would be like saying God's grace isn't good enough the first time so we have to redo it.

• Members

It's really quite simple...the Gospel is simple. Nothing complicated about it at all.
If you don't come as a little child, you don't get in...simple as that.

When the Holy Ghost speaks to a person's heart, He convicts that person of his meanness, terrifies him with God's judgment, and glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ before him. If a child can comprehend the 3 simple truths that "I'm a really bad boy", "I'm going to Hell", but "Jesus Loves Me"; he can get saved. Whether he undertands all this is one thing but the main thing is that the Word of God says to ALLOW them to come to Jesus and FORBID THEM NOT. If they don't get genuine salvation right then, the Holy Ghost is well able to keep working on their heart. The Bible says to LET them come. NEVER discourage them.

15And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them.

16But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

17Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Its sad to hear people who cannot find a time in the past, that moment in time passed when they accepted Jesus as Savior, that moment when the Holy Spirit entered into them and took up adOBe, that moment they accepted that unspeakable gift from God, yet claim to be saved.

The Readers Digest use to and sill may have the article, "My Most Unforgettable Moment." In my 63 years I've yet to have talked to a single Christian which did not refer to that moment in time when the Holy Spirit came to adOBe within them after having realized they were a sinner, that they were doomed to hell as a penalty for their sin, realized that Jesus died on the cross for their sin, them accepted Jesus as their personal Savior.

Oh they may not know what year, what month, what day, what hour it took place, but they never forget that moment in time. Its an experience not like any other experience under the sun.

As for me, I would not know the year, that month, nor the day, if it was not for my godly mother who recorded it in her journal. Yes, if not for her I would be as many others whom I've talked to, do not know the year, the month, nor day, yet the event of that day is impressed in their mind forever and when asked they gladly will share that event with anyone.

It would be impossible for me to forget that time in my life, it was a life changing event, and I know at that very moment there was joy abounded in heaven, and it spilled over into me at that very moment in time.

Lu 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Yes, that day is the most unforgettable day in my life, it will abide with me forever, and I think God for that day, and what He impressed into my memory as His Holy Sprit entered my body to take up permanent adOBe. No, it did not happen over a period of time, that is not something a person can work out over a period of time. Its a gift from God that's offered to all men, that unspeakable gift, for a person to OBtain, they simply must accept. What a truly amazing unforgettable moment it is.

• Members

Its sad to hear people who cannot find a time in the past, that moment in time passed when they accepted Jesus as Savior, that moment when the Holy Spirit entered into them and took up adOBe, that moment they accepted that unspeakable gift from God, yet claim to be saved.

The Readers Digest use to and sill may have the article, "My Most Unforgettable Moment." In my 63 years I've yet to have talked to a single Christian which did not refer to that moment in time when the Holy Spirit came to adOBe within them after having realized they were a sinner, that they were doomed to hell as a penalty for their sin, realized that Jesus died on the cross for their sin, them accepted Jesus as their personal Savior.

Oh they may not know what year, what month, what day, what hour it took place, but they never forget that moment in time. Its an experience not like any other experience under the sun.

As for me, I would not know the year, that month, nor the day, if it was not for my godly mother who recorded it in her journal. Yes, if not for her I would be as many others whom I've talked to, do not know the year, the month, nor day, yet the event of that day is impressed in their mind forever and when asked they gladly will share that event with anyone.

It would be impossible for me to forget that time in my life, it was a life changing event, and I know at that very moment there was joy abounded in heaven, and it spilled over into me at that very moment in time.

Lu 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Yes, that day is the most unforgettable day in my life, it will abide with me forever, and I think God for that day, and what He impressed into my memory as His Holy Sprit entered my body to take up permanent adOBe. No, it did not happen over a period of time, that is not something a person can work out over a period of time. Its a gift from God that's offered to all men, that unspeakable gift, for a person to OBtain, they simply must accept. What a truly amazing unforgettable moment it is.

Jerry, I am glad that the limits of man are not the limits of God and that the limits of your experience do not define what must be the limits of all Christians. No where in the Bible does it say "you must have a vivid memory of the moment you believed in Jesus and accepted his gift of salvation." Don't put a limit on God's grace or the different ways in which Christians can experience it.

• Members

Jerry, I am glad that the limits of man are not the limits of God and that the limits of your experience do not define what must be the limits of all Christians. No where in the Bible does it say "you must have a vivid memory of the moment you believed in Jesus and accepted his gift of salvation." Don't put a limit on God's grace or the different ways in which Christians can experience it.

Yes, I do remember. How in the world can anyone forget that moment, the moment they were saved from hell, the moment the Holy Spirit entered their body? The moment one received forgiveness for their sins and that burden was lifted from them. Of course I was old enough to understand. It was on August 26, 1961, the the following Sunday I was baptized. As previously stated, the only reason I know the date is my godly mother recorded in her journal.

Oh, I'm not limiting God, after all He furnished us an "Instruction Book," and we are told by Him to study it, so that we can rightly divide the word of the truth, that this "Instruction Book" is good for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So, no, I don't limit God, He furnish us with His limits, its seems there be few who will abide in those limits. I gather this because He tells us narrow, strait, is the gate that leadeth unto life, but wide, broad, is the way that leads to destruction. that few enter the narrow strait gate yet many enter the wide broad gate. And them the very next verse tells us to beware of false prophets.

Mt 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mt 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mt 7:15 ¶ Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

We are even told that some will try to enter by some other door, that be those who will not abide in the Word, go by the "Instruction Book."

Joh 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a rOBber.

Of course God will show them both mercy and grace, but they have to enter in at the strait narrow gate, He offers no grace to those who try to steal their way in by some other gate.

• Members

Well it sounds to me that you are taking the limits of your experience for the limits of God. Again, not everyone has a "conversion experience." Do you believe that those people are not really saved? God doesn't require that, he just requires that we "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ."

I think that attitudes like this force the constant re-dedications and re-baptisms that one can see in some Baptist churches. It doesn't really makes sense to me. God's grace is perfect at salvation and his grace is perfect and sufficient and baptism. Neither needs to be redone unless you question the power of God's grace.

• Members

The time has come for me to stop posting it you. I'm not going to trade barbs with you as it seems you've come here to do. Its clear your not IFB nor Baptist and you do not deal with Bible truths.

Prayers,
Jerry

I have not claimed to be Baptist or ever been less than forthcoming about my denominational background. Regardless, I was hoping to be able to discuss things as we are all Christians. I am not trying to "trade barbs" and everything I have said is true and really hasn't been categorically refuted, I just posed some questions that you are either unable or unwilling to answer/discuss. That's your choice, I won't force the issue.

May the Lord be with you.

• Members

I have not claimed to be Baptist or ever been less than forthcoming about my denominational background. Regardless, I was hoping to be able to discuss things as we are all Christians. I am not trying to "trade barbs" and everything I have said is true and really hasn't been categorically refuted, I just posed some questions that you are either unable or unwilling to answer/discuss. That's your choice, I won't force the issue.

May the Lord be with you.

Yes, I know you're not, and it seems you come here to rebuke us, remember, you're visiting us, we, I, did not come visit you. I do not go to the message boards of other denominations and tell them they are wrong. That is I respect their, other denominations, right to believe as they do, to discuss it peacefully, without me disturbing them on their message boards rebuking, correcting them, telling them where they are wrong.

• Members

My oldest daughter was saved at 5 years old. She came to me after church one Sunday morning and said she wanted to be saved. After I asked her several questions about what sin is, who Jesus really is, etc., she finally looked at me and asked, "Daddy, don't you want me to be saved?" Who could argue with that?

However, she did "fall away" in her late teens and early 20s. When she came back to live with us after her rebellion (which included a failed marriage), she went forward one Sunday and claimed she was coming forward for salvation. She said she didn't think she was saved earlier because no true Christian would do the things she had done. I didn't argue with her, but I'm confident she was saved at 5 years old, and later was asking God's forgiveness for her rebellion and felt His cleansing.

My middle daughter was saved at 7 years old and very confident in her salvation and has done nothing to cast doubt on it. My son took quite a bit longer and was saved at about 17, right after attending an IFB youth camp (Silver State in Colorado).

Same family, same upbringing, yet different maturity levels. It's all in God's timing.

• Members

My oldest daughter was saved at 5 years old. She came to me after church one Sunday morning and said she wanted to be saved. After I asked her several questions about what sin is, who Jesus really is, etc., she finally looked at me and asked, "Daddy, don't you want me to be saved?" Who could argue with that?

However, she did "fall away" in her late teens and early 20s. When she came back to live with us after her rebellion (which included a failed marriage), she went forward one Sunday and claimed she was coming forward for salvation. She said she didn't think she was saved earlier because no true Christian would do the things she had done. I didn't argue with her, but I'm confident she was saved at 5 years old, and later was asking God's forgiveness for her rebellion and felt His cleansing.

My middle daughter was saved at 7 years old and very confident in her salvation and has done nothing to cast doubt on it. My son took quite a bit longer and was saved at about 17, right after attending an IFB youth camp (Silver State in Colorado).

Same family, same upbringing, yet different maturity levels. It's all in God's timing.

It's so great to hear about children getting saved. Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful to hear about anyone getting saved but just the potential of a child growing up so much more pure than those of us that got saved after sinning for a good majority of our lives. Not always, like you said with your one daughter, but the potential to go through life not knowing (at a personal level) certain sins. Just great to think about, thanks for sharin' brother.

• Members

Well, I made some sort of profession at about 8 years old. Our church was hosting a play on heaven and hell, and I guess I got caught up in the emotionalism of it all. I went forward and several people surrounded me, opened the Bible and pointed to certain passages, and my mother was praying and crying behind me, but when all the excitement died down, I was told I was saved, yet didn't understand a bit of what was going on.

However, the Lord kept me until I was 23, when the gospel was presented to me clearly enough that I could understand it. It was still an emotional experience for me, but there's no doubt that I'm saved.

That's why I was sensitive to my children professing desires to be saved at young ages.

• Members

Does the possibility exist that this guy was a week or two from turning four when he was saved? (For some people, that might make a difference to the understanding of his statement, "I was saved at age 3") I'm wondering if the original poster was saying he doubted the preacher's integrity or the preacher's salvation? The fact is that this guy is still preaching the Word of God, so I guess he knew he needed a Saviour at age 3. If the preacher is mistaken about the age, because he confirmed it by surrounding events and thought he was 3 (perhaps not having a parent to record the time and the date as some others have had) then I don't see that as an integrity prOBlem, but an informational prOBlem. If he was merely being "evangelastic" in his story telling, that is unfortunate, particularly since it interfered with the OPs ability to benefit from the sermon. Like, Bro. Matt mentioned above, some three year olds are remarkable. I was saved in Kindergarten. I didn't know every doctrine in the Bible. I didn't know about all the finer points of salvation. I DID know I was a sinner who needed a Saviour. I did know that Christ died for me and paid for my sins. I did know I was saved 4ever! My daughter was saved at a young age as well. Her dad and I both tried to dissuade her from making a decision based on what she thought we wanted her to do or based on what others around her may have done. She was determined and we knew God was dealing with her. I can honestly say that I saw a change in her from the day she got saved. Will doubts arise for people saved at a young age? Perhaps. Will doubts arise for people saved later in life? Perhaps. I do not see older age as a guaranteed "never have a doubt about your salvation" card.