• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pentecost Sunday

• Members

Today (or might be yesterday by now!) is Pentecost Sunday. At your church were the Scripture readings/sermon centered around this topic? We had a wonderful service about the gift of the Holy Spirit.

May God bless everyone!

• Members

Today (or might be yesterday by now!) is Pentecost Sunday. At your church were the Scripture readings/sermon centered around this topic? We had a wonderful service about the gift of the Holy Spirit.

May God bless everyone!

No,& no, at two different churches. I wasn't preaching. I alluded to it at the communion service after, & chose Holy Spirit hymns. There is so much false teaching on the work of the Holy Spirit, that we do need clear Biblical teaching.

I spoke on the Ascension before & after Ascension Day.

• Members

Never heard of celebrating Pentecostal Sunday. Seeing the words celebrating Pentecostal Sunday my 1st thought was it must have something to do with the Pentecostals who believe that speaking in tongues is proof of ones salvation.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Never heard of celebrating Pentecostal Sunday. Seeing the words celebrating Pentecostal Sunday my 1st thought was it must have something to do with the Pentecostals who believe that speaking in tongues is proof of ones salvation.

It's "Pentacost Sunday" rather than "Pentacostal Sunday," but I see how it could be misunderstood. And, although Pentacost occurred on one day, the gift of the Holy Spirit is celebrated for the fifty days following Easter during a time on Christian Calender known as "The 50 days of Pentacost." It parallels the fifty days from the Exodus to the giving of the ten commandmants. The readings and sermons typically center around the Holy Spirit during this time and how God speaks to us personally. In my Church, we also adorn the sanctuary in red (red curtains, red rugs, red flowers, red cloth over the alter . . .), though I'm not sure of the story behind it.

• Members

Yes, I was speaking to what ptwild said. My church celebrates in the same way. I know that this is more common in a church with a more liturgical form of worship, but I was really just curious as to the ways (if at all) other churches OBserve Pentecost.