• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Greatest Compliment the Preacher can Receive?

• Members

I know our pastor is happy to receive any compliment or comment that lets him know someone is paying attention and being blessed.

One time I sent our pastor an email thanking him for his recent sermon and telling him some of how it blessed me. He was very pleased because he said from where he was it didn't seem like the message was getting across so it was encouraging to know it did.

Same thing has happened with me/my preacher. He talked about controlling the tongue, swearing and the like. And then mentioned something called by-words or filler words. I feel really stupid about this, but I used to always say "geez" and did not realize that it could be construed as saying Jesus' name in vain. So, I've gotten a lot better on my language and paid more attention to controlling my tongue. Still gets the best of me sometime.

• Members

Same thing has happened with me/my preacher. He talked about controlling the tongue, swearing and the like. And then mentioned something called by-words or filler words. I feel really stupid about this, but I used to always say "geez" and did not realize that it could be construed as saying Jesus' name in vain. So, I've gotten a lot better on my language and paid more attention to controlling my tongue. Still gets the best of me sometime.

Ditto. I'm working on some of those too. I feel pretty bad about the by-words that could be God's name, taking His name in vain is the last thing I ever wanna do.

• Members

Mt 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
Mt 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

Its so easy to go outside of the 'nay.'

This is where I think, would it not be nice if bad habits were easily broken.