• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gluten Free Communion

• Members

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone ever come across this issue? I ask because my sister is celiac, meaning she cannot eat anything containing gluten (ie wheat, barley, malt, etc). This can be an issue when it comes time to take Communion as the host/bread/body isn't gluten free! Now we are not Catholic, so most Protestant churches will allow you to only take the cup, but this can be a bit distressing for a Christian who wants to take Communion in it's entirety, as I'm sure most of you can understand.

I have heard of some churches having a gluten free line during Communion, but I do not personally know of any of these churches - just heard that they exist. Has anyone dealt with this in your churches? Does anyone know someone who is celiac or has a gluten/wheat sensitivity that has addressed this issue?

May God be with you!

• Members

You fail to understand one thing, most people here do not claim to be Protestant, Protestants came out of the Roman Catholic Church, most of us here do not believe we were ever part of the false teaching Catholic Church. I did not say this to change this topic or to debate this under this topic, so now back to the topic.

I can't help you with the gluten, I'm not familiar with it nor ever had that issue come up, but have heard of people who are allergic to it.

• Members

You fail to understand one thing, most people here do not claim to be Protestant, Protestants came out of the Roman Catholic Church, most of us here do not believe we were ever part of the false teaching Catholic Church. I did not say this to change this topic or to debate this under this topic, so now back to the topic.

I can't help you with the gluten, I'm not familiar with it nor ever had that issue come up, but have heard of people who are allergic to it.

I know that many people here do not claim to be Protestant. I am technically not Protestant either in the strictest sense of the word. Where I live, most people are either Catholic or Jewish, so the term Protestant tends to be used by default to describe anyone who is non-Catholic. My apologies as I did not mean to cause any offense or be inaccurate.

I am still however interested if anyone else has come across the gluten free issue in the context of Communion. As I am very close to the issue I know that it can be difficult for a Christian to have to decline for health reasons so I would be interested if anyone has any solutions.

Thank you in advance for any help!

• Members

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone ever come across this issue? I ask because my sister is celiac, meaning she cannot eat anything containing gluten (ie wheat, barley, malt, etc). This can be an issue when it comes time to take Communion as the host/bread/body isn't gluten free! Now we are not Catholic, so most Protestant churches will allow you to only take the cup, but this can be a bit distressing for a Christian who wants to take Communion in it's entirety, as I'm sure most of you can understand.

I have heard of some churches having a gluten free line during Communion, but I do not personally know of any of these churches - just heard that they exist. Has anyone dealt with this in your churches? Does anyone know someone who is celiac or has a gluten/wheat sensitivity that has addressed this issue?

May God be with you!

I do know know anyone with this issue, but gluten free communion wafers do exist, please see:

Gluten Free Communion wafers

I am sure, if you discussed with your pastor, they could provide these as an option, or you could as well. When I was attending a Lutheran church, they used wine, but for those of us that preferred grape juice, they had certain cups marked for juice. Perhaps a similar arrangement could be worked out for your sister.

• Members

I do know know anyone with this issue, but gluten free communion wafers do exist, please see:

Gluten Free Communion wafers

I am sure, if you discussed with your pastor, they could provide these as an option, or you could as well. When I was attending a Lutheran church, they used wine, but for those of us that preferred grape juice, they had certain cups marked for juice. Perhaps a similar arrangement could be worked out for your sister.

Much appreciated Brother Mike! I had heard that some churches offered a gluten free option, we just didn't know of one so I figured such options had to exist! Looks like these are free of pretty much every allergen, so it might be helpful for others that suffer from other food sensitivities. Thanks again for the suggestion and may God bless you!

• Members

Seems like they could have an usher or two (depending on the size of the church) hold a second plate with the allergen-free version and then pull it out whenever someone needed it. That's a good thought, I had not thought of that before.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My husband and son have Celiac Sprue ie: No Wheat, Rye, Barley or Oats -nothing containing Gluten!! I haven't had a church willing to accomadate unless you buy the wafers. We are in a Baptist Church. I do know from relatives that their Methodist Churche actually has a place for the celiacs to recieve communion safely-no concern of cross contamination.

Hi Everyone!

May God be with you!