• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

60% Catholics?

• Administrators

The following is a video from a church that is not too far from me. A member here at OB (Who is a former IFB) attends this church so I thought I would look into his church.

Now on to the video. Is this pastor saying that this church is made up of former Catholics, etc? Or is he saying the church is made up of Catholics, Baptist, etc? Am I hearing this right?

• Members

Sounds to me as if he's saying the church is made up of 60% Catholics, not former Catholics. Along with current (nor former) Pentacostals and others.

Does anyone remember the commercials the UMC ran for a couple of years where they said all were welcome and nOBody had to change to join them no matter their background?

• Members

The following is a video from a church that is not too far from me. A member here at OB (Who is a former IFB) attends this church so I thought I would look into his church.

Now on to the video. Is this pastor saying that this church is made up of former Catholics, etc? Or is he saying the church is made up of Catholics, Baptist, etc? Am I hearing this right?

Based on this video alone it sounds like he is saying that Walnut Hill is a community church full of people who have no doctrinal convictions. Edited by holster

• Members

A feel good preacher who will not stand for anything for he wants not to offend anyone for fear they will not attend his church.

Typical non-denominational church as brother_mike commented.

That's the type churches people are pouring into, they just do not like the straight narrow gate, they love the broad wide gate.

Oh, sounds as if it has few members, that 60% of those who attend their membership is in another church of which they do not attend.

• Members

For the record, old time non-denominational churches are not the same as the typical modern day type.

I attend a non-denominational, independent, conservative church that was formed as such in the 1800s and has remained so. Our church is fundamentalist and it's statement of faith reads like any good Baptist churches. Our pastor attended Baptist seminary and our associate pastor was the leader of the Baptist group when he was in college and is finishing his Master's from a Baptist university.

Our pastor will sometimes point out that we have people from many different backgrounds in our church but in doing so he makes it clear they were FORMER Catholics, Methodists, Pentacostals, etc. Recently one of our newer members was giving their testimony and commented that they have only been a Christian for 5 years because prior to that they were Catholic and lost in that false religion.

I know no offense was meant towards our church, but there are a few good non-denominational churches out there that are not of the modern (come as you are, stay as you are) feel-good sorts. I just wanted to point that out.

However, the local Methodist and Christian churches are very much of the "come as you are, stay as you are" sorts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This "church" sounds like it's one of those "Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya and love Jesus" churches. Ecumenical to the max. Love but no doctrine...just "tolerance"/acceptance of all kinds of garbage.

• Members

Rather than non-denominational, I believe the term is inter-denominational. Most non-denoms have a certain belief system. An inter-denom is where everyone is welcome, no matter what they believe...and no toes are stepped on.

Rev. Dr. Clive Calver, Senior Pastor, Walnut Hill Community Church, Former President, World Relief, Bethel, CT

He signed the immigration reform letter I posted separately.

• Members

Rather than non-denominational, I believe the term is inter-denominational. Most non-denoms have a certain belief system. An inter-denom is where everyone is welcome, no matter what they believe...and no toes are stepped on.

Good point. Our church was founded in the 1800s as a non-denominational church and is conservative and the pastor and associate pastor both attended Baptist seminary.

The interdenominational sorts tend to just toss the doors open wide and welcome just about anyone or anything; unwilling to offend anyone but Christ.