• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Police say star Permian High School basketball player is really 22

• Members

I was thinking the same thing. This man seemed to be a very good popular player, he did not keep his profile low enough.

Plus I feel there be a few schools who would use such people if they feel they might be able to get away with it. Many of the high school football and basketball coaches are under much pressure to win, to at least compete in the championship games. Some of the high schools will get rid of a coach or coaches that do not keep them in competition for the championship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The people I feel sorry for are the coach and his team members. It sounds like they had no idea that he was 22.

Plus I feel there be a few schools who would use such people if they feel they might be able to get away with it. Many of the high school football and basketball coaches are under much pressure to win, to at least compete in the championship games. Some of the high schools will get rid of a coach or coaches that do not keep them in competition for the championship.

Of course there is pressure to win. That is a coaches jOB, to win games. If they can not do that they should be fired and a new coach hired. If a lawyer lost most of his cases, then they would be fired too.

• Members

The people I feel sorry for are the coach and his team members. It sounds like they had no idea that he was 22.

Of course there is pressure to win. That is a coaches jOB, to win games. If they can not do that they should be fired and a new coach hired. If a lawyer lost most of his cases, then they would be fired too.

I guess your right, after all if the game is lost its the end of the world, plus there is nothing more important than winning the game.

rolleyes.gif

• Members

I guess your right, after all if the game is lost its the end of the world, plus there is nothing more important than winning the game.

rolleyes.gif

That seems to be the way a great many view this. Last year the local high school, which is a joining together of several area towns, held a sports award event on a Sunday (our pastor and others argued against such a Sunday meeting but the school board didn't care) and on that Sunday all the area churches (sadly including our own) saw a large, and I do mean large, number of their congregation choose to attend the sports award event rather than church services. :icon_sad:

• Members

That seems to be the way a great many view this. Last year the local high school, which is a joining together of several area towns, held a sports award event on a Sunday (our pastor and others argued against such a Sunday meeting but the school board didn't care) and on that Sunday all the area churches (sadly including our own) saw a large, and I do mean large, number of their congregation choose to attend the sports award event rather than church services. :icon_sad:

Yes, the big game is more important to the Christians that worshiping God. That is a testimony for the position God has in their life, and where they store their treasures.

icon_sad.gifangry.gif

Many cites, games, sports, is their god, my hometown, football is its god.

• Members

Yes, the big game is more important to the Christians that worshiping God. That is a testimony for the position God has in their life, and where they store their treasures.

icon_sad.gifangry.gif

Many cites, games, sports, is their god, my hometown, football is its god.

Yes, football is "god" around here too. When our local high school was considering consolidation with other schools the major factor was how it would effect the sports programs. Actual education wasn't even addressed until enough taxpayers spoke up asking about it. Eventually it was determined that rather than going with the consolidation which made the most practical sense, they would go with the much broader, and more costly consolidation which would practically guarantee a fantastic football team as well as all other sports teams which would be powerful.

• Members

Yes, football is "god" around here too. When our local high school was considering consolidation with other schools the major factor was how it would effect the sports programs. Actual education wasn't even addressed until enough taxpayers spoke up asking about it. Eventually it was determined that rather than going with the consolidation which made the most practical sense, they would go with the much broader, and more costly consolidation which would practically guarantee a fantastic football team as well as all other sports teams which would be powerful.

Around here it seems the football minded person is always in the superintendent's jOB, and most of the school board is made up of football minded people, with that it seems nothing is to good for our football team.

Football 1st, education 2nd.

• Members

It is not the end of the world, any more then failing in any other jOB is. But make no mistake, losing is a failure. As a coach I consider every loss a failure. You play the game to win, that is the OBjective. Coaching is not different from any other jOB, if they do not perform they will be fired. This is made all the harder, since coaching is done in front of other people. Everyone has had a bad day at work, where they could not get anything right, but coaches have those days in public where they will be seen and commented on.

Again I am not supporting what happened here. I would never knowingly play an in eligible player. But I still feel sorry for his teammates and coaches. They spent hours an a season that is now tainted. They sacrificed time, blood, sweat, and tears for the team and this is how it turned out.

Around here it seems the football minded person is always in the superintendent's jOB, and most of the school board is made up of football minded people, with that it seems nothing is to good for our football team.

I went to a small Christian high school, so I never had the chance to pay football. I did my student teaching at a public school, where football was pretty important, and there is something special about high school football. People who graduated decades ago come every Friday night to watch the game. Something magical happens under those "Friday Night Lights."

• Members

It is not the end of the world, any more then failing in any other jOB is. But make no mistake, losing is a failure. As a coach I consider every loss a failure. You play the game to win, that is the OBjective. Coaching is not different from any other jOB, if they do not perform they will be fired. This is made all the harder, since coaching is done in front of other people. Everyone has had a bad day at work, where they could not get anything right, but coaches have those days in public where they will be seen and commented on.

Again I am not supporting what happened here. I would never knowingly play an in eligible player. But I still feel sorry for his teammates and coaches. They spent hours an a season that is now tainted. They sacrificed time, blood, sweat, and tears for the team and this is how it turned out.

I went to a small Christian high school, so I never had the chance to pay football. I did my student teaching at a public school, where football was pretty important, and there is something special about high school football. People who graduated decades ago come every Friday night to watch the game. Something magical happens under those "Friday Night Lights."

I feel for those who were deceived, but I really don't know if all were deceived or not, even some coaches will do wrong things in order to improve his winning record.

I don't know about this magical stuff, its does not mix well with my Christians teachings.

Plus I would think for a Christian coach the most important thing for him would be the outcome of those young men he coached and how good an influence he had on them in instilling Christina values. Seems that would out weight the win column.

• Members

I feel for those who were deceived, but I really don't know if all were deceived or not, even some coaches will do wrong things in order to improve his winning record.

I don't know about this magical stuff, its does not mix well with my Christians teachings.

Plus I would think for a Christian coach the most important thing for him would be the outcome of those young men he coached and how good an influence he had on them in instilling Christina values. Seems that would out weight the win column.

:amen:

When I was in high school our football team didn't win many games at all. However, the coach was a good man who taught life lessons and an important lesson in life is how to rightly deal with failure, how to work your hardest even if you don't win, commitment even in difficult times, patience, discipline, etc.

That man coached this schools teams for many years with many losing seasons. A coach can't always have a winning season and may have many losing seasons, especially if he has limited resources to draw from. A good coach will make the best of such a situation and be a great influence upon those he coaches.

• Members

Our school was about the same, but it has changed, now our town is filled with arrogant fans who feel the world will end when we loose a football game, that the coach who won 3 state championship 3 years running is the one who hung the sun and the moon and he is worshiped.

Now we've got a new coach, now they are waiting to see if he to hung the sun and the moon and deserves their worship.