• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

That old black Book

• Members

Then why is it acceptable with the Bible we have in our hands? If that is the case, the Bible we have in our hands has already been changed. The changes I am talking about, it the same "updating" that was already done in our current KJV Bible.

You are correct but what most people fear is that any updating of of some of the archaic words will lead to what has happened with things like the NKJV where they claimed to be doing just that but in reality they made many other changes as well.

Many preachers over the years have done their own "updating" from the pulpit. I'm not talking about those who attempt to "correct" the KJB but those who when they read the Word or quote the Word will do so in a more modern manner such as replacing "thou art my God" with "You are my God".

For myself, even if someone did put forth a proper updating of the KJB I would stick with what I have now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I understand John and I agree. The prOBlem is that people try to rewrite and come up with a "new" Bible, that is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about the same "updating" that has been done in the past with the KJV we have in our hands. I do not see a need to do it in this present day but I can in the future.

• Members

I understand John and I agree. The prOBlem is that people try to rewrite and come up with a "new" Bible, that is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about the same "updating" that has been done in the past with the KJV we have in our hands. I do not see a need to do it in this present day but I can in the future.

:thumb:

If the Lord comes soon it won't be an issue! :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Matt, man cannot update the Words of the Bible only; we all add our 2cents worth somewhere along the way. I don't know if it is ego, or the flesh or what, but no one can got through the entire Bible and "update" it without some sort of word changing. Besides, we all know what "thee" and "thou" means, and that is usually what people refer to when talking about "updating" or modernizing the Word.

The main thing is reading with understanding, and, for the most part, we do understand what we read. The Holy Spirit makes sure of that!

You are right, there is no need now, but I don't believe there will be a need in the future either, in fact, personally, I kind of like that old English jargon! (but I realize that everyone doesn't like it)

Edited by irishman

• Members

Are you speaking of Wyclif's Bible?

The Lord was very wise (of course!) in providing a progression of Bibles leading up to the Authorized Version. These always seem to come up in these discussions, but I wonder why? Why do people find it hard to accept, by faith, the old KJB? Perhaps this is what is defined by some as a "gray area" because there is no chapter and verse, per se! (at least none good enough for them to accept) If the Lord would have allowed the KJB that we have today to be printed way back then, they would have made a bigger fuss than the people of today are making! There had to be other translations/versions to pave the way, and "prime the pump" so to speak. You might compare them to (only as an analogy) John the Baptist preparing the way for our Lord.

• Members

I didn't grow up with the KJB. As I've mentioned, as a child I attended a Methodist church. The Methodist church used the RSV (the Methodist church in this town still uses the RSV, not sure about other Methodist churches).

When I was saved I only really knew one other Christian and they were new as well. The church we were attending at the time was an Assembly of God (this was the church her sister had got her to attend); not sure what Bible they were using. The pastor was pretty good, even if he was stuck on just two things 1. Salvation, getting folks saved (a good thing), 2. The End Times (way too much emphasis there meaning the rest of Scripture was neglected).

Shortly after getting saved there was a change at that church. The old pastor was called away and the new pastor which took his place was VERY charismatic and "modern". Suddenly there was a band on the platform and the pastor, his wife and a couple others would "speak in tongues" and within a week several people in the congregation began "speaking in tongues" as well. Too much! My girlfriend and I left that church and never found another church home in that town.

A few years later and after many different things I went away to university. While there I met a wonderful Christian friend and he took me to a Baptist church with a by-the-Bible pastor. It was at this time the Holy Ghost directed me to the KJB. Prior to that I had stopped using the RSV and had been using the NASB. I decided to use the NASB because it was an "American" Bible. :icon_rolleyes:

Immediately after the Holy Ghost guided me to the KJB my understanding of Scripture was opened beyond comprehension and Scripture memorization for me became virtually easy. For me, I know the Lord put the KJB in my hands and He's worked mightily through the KJB in my life and I love the KJB just the way it is.

• Administrators
Matt, man cannot update the Words of the Bible only;

I agree, and I do not want man to do it, it needs to be from God. If I remember correctly there is around 420 word changes from the KJV1611 to the KJV we have in our hands today. If God was behind that, then He can do it again if He pleases.

Other than that, I am talking only about words where the English spelling has changed. Example in 1611 the word "owne" was used, now it is spelled "own" so it was changed in the Bible. Of course, none of these things was a "revision" of the Bible and these changes did no harm whatsoever to the text. If they did, our Bible in our hands would be corrupt.

• Members

Then why is it acceptable with the Bible we have in our hands? If that is the case, the Bible we have in our hands has already been changed. The changes I am talking about, it the same "updating" that was already done in our current KJV Bible.

God did it. It was not in man's hands.

I agree, and I do not want man to do it, it needs to be from God. If I remember correctly there is around 420 word changes from the KJV1611 to the KJV we have in our hands today. If God was behind that, then He can do it again if He pleases.

Other than that, I am talking only about words where the English spelling has changed. Example in 1611 the word "owne" was used, now it is spelled "own" so it was changed in the Bible. Of course, none of these things was a "revision" of the Bible and these changes did no harm whatsoever to the text. If they did, our Bible in our hands would be corrupt.

I believe that we have right now, God's word as He wants us to have. When and if He sees a need to do something with it, He will, and I am sure He will provide a way for His people to know it was from Him. But I do not really see that happening. We have His perfect word in English, and it has been around for four hundred years. But if it is His will, the Bible will remain the same or it will change, no matter our opinions.

• Members

What was wrong with the Wyclif Bible?

Where did I quote Scripture? :puzzled3:

The Wyclif is not the KJ, that's what's wrong with it.

And no, you did not quote scripture, I just though you might not know this, so I passed it along just in case you did not know.

• Members

Does not most of those people who have come up with a new version claim to be led by God to bring forth a new version because God's people needs it?

Of course I think they do so for 2 reason, money and to change the Bible to better support what they teach.

• Members

Does not most of those people who have come up with a new version claim to be led by God to bring forth a new version because God's people needs it?

Of course I think they do so for 2 reason, money and to change the Bible to better support what they teach.

I would agree with you 100%, Jerry.

Following my salvation, I did not have anyone to disciple me, nor in any solid Biblical church. I did hear the Gospel and came to the Lord Jesus. Came the way up through various reformed churches. None used the KJB. I went through several different versions, still coming back to the KJB, dissatisfied with the others. I now have studied up on the version issue, and I have been an Independent Baptist for 5 years now and have seen the evidence and now stand 100% solidly on the King James Bible. No if's, and's, but's, or maybe's!!

• Members

I would agree with you 100%, Jerry.

Following my salvation, I did not have anyone to disciple me, nor in any solid Biblical church. I did hear the Gospel and came to the Lord Jesus. Came the way up through various reformed churches. None used the KJB. I went through several different versions, still coming back to the KJB, dissatisfied with the others. I now have studied up on the version issue, and I have been an Independent Baptist for 5 years now and have seen the evidence and now stand 100% solidly on the King James Bible. No if's, and's, but's, or maybe's!!

:amen: Praise the Lord!