• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Age of Accountability

• Members

I asked this question under a related thread and no one responded. If I have posted this in the wrong place, please reassign it to a more appropriate forum.

What is the origin of the belief that a human is born with the free gift of salvation up until he or she reaches a certain age or level of understanding? I would assume there is some biblical basis for the belief which I am not familiar with.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

2 Samuel 12:20
Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.

21Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.

22And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

23But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Matthew 18:10
Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Here's another to think about......
We had two babies born to women in our church, one being my grandson. One child was carried to term...9 months., while the other was born 3 months premature. With that in mind, read this verse: Romans 9:11 For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; The Bible seems to indicate that a child, though born with a sin nature, cannot sin until after it is born.
So, though these two children were actually the same age, one was still safe in the womb, while the other had been born for 3 months. But, really, though both children have a sin nature, neither one had ever willfully, knowingly, sinned. I believe that a child, though not "saved" by grace, is "safe" until the child has knowingly and willfully sinned.

Romans 7:9
For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

• Members

The only verse I know of that seems to make any kind of mention of it is 2 Samuel 12:23.

GotQuestions.org has a decent article on the subject.

http://www.gotquestions.org/age-of-accountability.html

I think everyone had their moment of deep thoughts about religion and the gospel. As a child, I didn't have this type of deep thoughts. I was too busy learning about my world and I had quite a imagination so it is very easy for me to accept Christ as it is -- no question asked.
1 cor. 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Although, some children mature faster than others, so that's why it is called age of accountability.

One thing I know, it is very possible for young children to rejected the Gospel of Christ first but accepted later. The only deadline they have is death. Edited by Psalms18_28

• Members

I think you would have to do a lot of stretching to make those verses from 2nd Sam. stand for the belief in an age of accountability. And, even assuming you can logically come to that conclusion, at what age/point in development does one reach the age of accountability? How about something from after our salvation came by grace, rather than OBedience to the law?

• Members

I think you would have to do a lot of stretching to make those verses from 2nd Sam. stand for the belief in an age of accountability. And, even assuming you can logically come to that conclusion, at what age/point in development does one reach the age of accountability? How about something from after our salvation came by grace, rather than OBedience to the law?

No stretching necessary: just discernment and common sense. David was a saved man on his way to Heaven so, OBviously, in order for David to "go to him", that child is going to have to be in Heaven.....not Hell.

There is no point of development or age given that I know of. It would most likely be different for different people. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

No stretching necessary: just discernment and common sense. David was a saved man on his way to Heaven so, OBviously, in order for David to "go to him", that child is going to have to be in Heaven.....not Hell

I think you may have a slight misunderstanding on how the jews view heaven. They don't believe there is any clear teaching on a "final destination," or that there is even a heave, only that we will all eventually die. Considering as much, David would only be indicating that he to would one day die and go to the afterlife, which is where the son was/is.

And even applying your logic, David would be "going to heaven" by virtue of not breaking the law. Therefore, if his child is likewise in heaven, it is because the child did not live long enough to not break the law (I don't believe this is the case, only using heartstrings' reasoning).

• Members

I think you may have a slight misunderstanding on how the jews view heaven. They don't believe there is any clear teaching on a "final destination," or that there is even a heave, only that we will all eventually die. Considering as much, David would only be indicating that he to would one day die and go to the afterlife, which is where the son was/is.

And even applying your logic, David would be "going to heaven" by virtue of not breaking the law. Therefore, if his child is likewise in heaven, it is because the child did not live long enough to not break the law (I don't believe this is the case, only using heartstrings' reasoning).

Sir, David made it to Heaven because He believed on the Lord Jesus Christ....not because of the law.

Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

David is there, friend. With that little baby.
Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

• Members

Depends on the sect of jews. The sadducees did not believe in a resurrection, but the pharrisees did. brough a lot of contintion between them.

Act 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
Act 23:7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
Act 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Act 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Act 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
Act 2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Notice in acts 2:31 david spake or the resurrection of Christ. Now I admit that Christ's resurrection and ours is different but he goes on to say his soul was not "left in hell".

Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, OBeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
Heb 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and JacOB, the heirs with him of the same promise:
Heb 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Abraham was not bothered by not having a place to dwell here, for he was looking to the future with God.

• Members

Sir, David made it to Heaven because He believed on the Lord Jesus Christ....not because of the law.

Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

David is there, friend. With that little baby.
Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Until the queen knights me, please refrain from calling me Sir. When Samuel was written, David would have had no idea of Christ or that the Christ would save us from the law. When Samuel was written, the Jews believed just as they believe today which is that we really just don't know what happens after we die. There are many that believe we all go back to the creator, whatever that means. However, I have several Jewish friends and not one of them believes as Christians do about a heaven. But that's not the point.

Let's just assume that we can definitively state that a human that dies in infancy goes to heaven. Now, back to the point of the topic, how do we determine at what age/level of understanding this free gift of salvation, without faith, is lost and salvation first becomes dependent on faith?

Just for the record, I don't personally have a belief on this topic other than that God is in control. I definitely do not see any scriptural support for the belief, or anything out of the early church addressing it.

• Members

What I understand, The Jews are waiting for a new kingdom here on Earth. Not sure what conquences they will have for breaking the laws, but here is what the Noahide beliefs say (The 7 laws for gentiles. It's a religion by Jewish people for gentiles who want to be a part of Jewish religion. They don't believe you can be fully Jew unless your mother is a Jew): http://www.noahide.org/article.asp?Level=196&Parent=342

Anyway, We don't go directly to heaven either. Not until Judgment day.

Edited by Psalms18_28

• Members

Until the queen knights me, please refrain from calling me Sir. When Samuel was written, David would have had no idea of Christ or that the Christ would save us from the law. When Samuel was written, the Jews believed just as they believe today which is that we really just don't know what happens after we die. There are many that believe we all go back to the creator, whatever that means. However, I have several Jewish friends and not one of them believes as Christians do about a heaven. But that's not the point.

Let's just assume that we can definitively state that a human that dies in infancy goes to heaven. Now, back to the point of the topic, how do we determine at what age/level of understanding this free gift of salvation, without faith, is lost and salvation first becomes dependent on faith?

Just for the record, I don't personally have a belief on this topic other than that God is in control. I definitely do not see any scriptural support for the belief, or anything out of the early church addressing it.

PTWild
Read it again...

The "MY LORD" David was referring to is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Members

What I understand, The Jews are waiting for a new kingdom here on Earth. Not sure what conquences they will have for breaking the laws, but here is what the Noahide beliefs say (The 7 laws for gentiles. It's a religion by Jewish people for gentiles who want to be a part of Jewish religion. They don't believe you can be fully Jew unless your mother is a Jew): http://www.noahide.org/article.asp?Level=196&Parent=342

Anyway, We don't go directly to heaven either. Not until Judgment day.

It's kind of hard to understand what they believe about the afterlife. From the way it has been explained to me, we all go back to the creator when we die. However, those who most closely followed the law will be closets to the creator, while those that didn't follow the law will be the fartherest away. They definitely do not believe in a hell.

This is not the point though and I hate to get off topic because I think the doctrine of the age of accountability could be addressed a little better. Where are the Jerrys when you need them?

• Members

PTWild
Read it again...

The "MY LORD" David was referring to is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe he is speaking about whom the Jews believe to be the yet to arrive Messiah, not Christ as we Christitans believe. St. Paul merely had the benefit of witnessing the coming of Christ and the knowledge that his coming wasn't exactly what the Jews had expected. The Jews do believe that the Messiah (Lord) is with God and that God will eventually send him to rule over the earth. However, as I said, St. Paul had the benefit (which David did not have) of knowing exactly how that whole thing would unfold.