• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Live4Him

Is a person truly saved if...

...he believes he must believe in Jesus Christ and be baptized to be saved?

...he believes he can lose his salvation?

...he believes Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven for him, but isn't sure if He is for everybody?

I believe there are people that are saved but also misguided. That might be the case in this situation but unsure. I think there are saved Catholics but they still believe a lot of the tradition and other things that aren't based in scripture. So, while misguided they are still saved. Although, it's hard for me to think if someone is saved long enough they wouldn't eventually realize things they believe are wrong. But, just my humble opinion.

I believe there are people that are saved but also misguided. That might be the case in this situation but unsure. I think there are saved Catholics but they still believe a lot of the tradition and other things that aren't based in scripture. So, while misguided they are still saved. Although, it's hard for me to think if someone is saved long enough they wouldn't eventually realize things they believe are wrong. But, just my humble opinion.

Yeah, I know. It's just something that I've been thinking about lately.

Regarding Catholics, what exactly do they believe in regards to salvation? Is it by works?

...he believes Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven for him, but isn't sure if He is for everybody?

A person can believe in evolution and be saved - what matters is what that person believed at the moment of faith. People get "educated" out of believing the truth all the time, but they're still eternally secure because of the decision they made for Christ at the moment of salvation.

Regarding Catholics, what exactly do they believe in regards to salvation? Is it by works?

There is probably so much more to it then I could count or even remember.

They believe there are sins (can't remember the name now) that pretty much automatically make you go to Hell. I think suicide is one of them. They also believe that you go to the priest and confess your sins and he forgives them (in Christs stead) and then gives you penance (you must pray some prayers for a certain length of time or certain number of times).

Most Catholics you ask the question "If you died today, do you know for sure you'd go to Heaven?" they would answer "Yeah, I think so...I'm a pretty good person". That right there screams works salvation.

They also believe you can go to this place called purgatory which is a place in the afterlife between Heaven and Hell. And people that are alive can prayer for you and pay money to absolve your sins...absolute nonsense.

That is just a small piece of the pie that is known as Catholicism. I truly believe a good majority of Catholics don't even know what salvation or being saved even means. I think they can be saved but their false doctrine just makes it so hard and they are probably getting lead to Jesus Christ and salvation by friends, soul winning strangers or family members because they sure don't teach it in Catholic Mass.

I don't think Catholics know what they believe. In the end, it's really just the same with the Catholics as it is with every other cult out there....

Matt. 16:18, "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

... they all think that their church is the one church that was built upon the rock. In other words, every RC, JW, SDA, LDS, or COC is going to tell you that you MUST be a part of their church.

I was talking with a "church of Christ" member once, and I asked him something like this, "So, if I DON'T believe in the trinity, AND I believe that I have to be baptized to be saved, AND I believe I have to work hard to be saved - am I then saved?" His response was no, because I had to be in the church of Christ, and the only way to do that was to be a member of the "church of Christ." They literally believe that because it's named the "church of Christ" it is the church of Christ.

It's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. But in the end, when you "cut through all the junk", that's what they all believe. Church membership is salvation.

There is probably so much more to it then I could count or even remember.

They believe there are sins (can't remember the name now) that pretty much automatically make you go to Hell. I think suicide is one of them. They also believe that you go to the priest and confess your sins and he forgives them (in Christs stead) and then gives you penance (you must pray some prayers for a certain length of time or certain number of times).

Most Catholics you ask the question "If you died today, do you know for sure you'd go to Heaven?" they would answer "Yeah, I think so...I'm a pretty good person". That right there screams works salvation.

They also believe you can go to this place called purgatory which is a place in the afterlife between Heaven and Hell. And people that are alive can prayer for you and pay money to absolve your sins...absolute nonsense.

That is just a small piece of the pie that is known as Catholicism. I truly believe a good majority of Catholics don't even know what salvation or being saved even means. I think they can be saved but their false doctrine just makes it so hard and they are probably getting lead to Jesus Christ and salvation by friends, soul winning strangers or family members because they sure don't teach it in Catholic Mass.

That's sad. I have a friend who is Catholic, and she told me they don't read the Bible; the priest is there to explain it to them. Maybe if they got into it, they could see the error of Catholicism?

A person can believe in evolution and be saved - what matters is what that person believed at the moment of faith. People get "educated" out of believing the truth all the time, but they're still eternally secure because of the decision they made for Christ at the moment of salvation.

But what if they say they "believe in Jesus," but they also believe they have to be baptized to be saved?

1. It depends on how you see it: If a person's view is-- If he is not baptized, but believe in Jesus, then he is not saved because he have not been baptized yet. If he is baptized, but don't believe in him, more likely he is saved because baptism. -- These view does not make a person saved. Baptism does not save a person. ALTHOUGH, people do get baptism because their love for Christ therefore someone who don't believe in Christ would not get baptized in the first place. But how they view baptism is wrong.

if you believe in him enough to obey him when he ask you a simple little task to express your faith , then it appears that you are saved. I think it is a problem when someone says "I believe in him, but I don't want to be baptize.I don't have to." I question that because if they face God right now, and he ask them to be baptize, are they actually going to tell God, "but God, I don't Wahhhnt to!"

2. No, because he lack faith in God

3. No, because he is being an elite (sp?) who think he is more important than all other sinners and he worshipping the wrong vision of God just like many other religions are doing. When God look down at us, he sees us all the same. Edited by Psalms18_28

But what if they say they "believe in Jesus," but they also believe they have to be baptized to be saved?

If they are trusting anything besides Jesus Christ alone at the moment of faith, I'd think not. That's putting trust in works.

If he believes it take Jesus + baptism, them he is not depending only on Jesus, he is trusting on Jesus + water baptism. For one to be saved they have to depend on Jesus, & Jesus only.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It's amazing how Christ gives his life for us, He pays the price, He gave enough for all to be saved and yet some still need to add to it! To be baptized is an ordinance of Christ but we are baptized because we are saved. To trust in anyone who could loose us is just like any other cult. A young belever may strugle (or immature) with these ideas, but as we look into His word we see we must trust in a God who did it all for us and all we need to do is fall into His arms and know we are forever His. We must beleive His call went out to all, He did not want any to parish, His grip is forever, not one can be plucked out of His hand, and Salvation by grace alone.

It's amazing how Christ gives his life for us, He pays the price, He gave enough for all to be saved and yet some still need to add to it! To be baptized is an ordinance of Christ but we are baptized because we are saved. To trust in anyone who could loose us is just like any other cult. A young belever may strugle (or immature) with these ideas, but as we look into His word we see we must trust in a God who did it all for us and all we need to do is fall into His arms and know we are forever His. We must beleive His call went out to all, He did not want any to parish, His grip is forever, not one can be plucked out of His hand, and Salvation by grace alone.

Amen, and its so simple, yet so many cannot understand it.

Indeed, getting right with God is simple. That's why it so amazes me that many folks love to argue that God wouldn't make it so hard for people to get to heaven. They proclaim that God would give us many ways to heaven so it would be easy to get to Him.

How much easier is it to have one way which is so easy to enter?

I feel sorry for people who are dedicated to their religion but they have the wrong teachings. :-(

For example Glenn Beck seems, lately, dedicated to talking about God and Jesus in his radio talk alot...I don't listen alot but whenever I'm in the car and hear him, he often talks about God. But as a Mormon I guess he is not saved. But the Mormons are some of the most dedicated people I know of, as far as religion. Those people will do anything for God. But I guess its to get to Heaven, not out of love...too bad we as Christians can't be that dedicated...anyway..just saying...its too bad some people are dedicated to the wrong teachings.

I agree Suzy. One of the saddest things I read in the Word is where all these people are standing before Jesus saying thaty did this and that for Him and Jesus answers saying they must depart because He never knew them. How very sad for those who thought they were doing right. How many Mormons, Catholics and other professing Christians will receive this shock :icon_sad:

I do to, in ways, but remember, they chose to believe a lie, just as the man of God out of Judah spoken of in 1 Kings 13.

True, and God declares they are without excuse. It's just that some so sincerely believe they are right with God...whether because they are following the teachings of their church, because someone led them in a "salvation prayer" or they prayed with a preacher on TV, etc. They have been led astray, they didn't stray on purpose and they are not of the arrogant sort which denounces all others. It's just a sad thought that these folks will be rejected from heaven.

Of course there are those out there who know they are making things up as they go, they are leading others astray, that don't really believe at all but are using religion for their own personal gain and those who were "born" Catholic or Mormon or whatever and are of the arrogant sort thinging they are of a superior class and reject anything else out of hand. Those folks have nor reason to be surprised.

I was praying again this morning for my lost family members. Some just don't care, some think it'll all work out okay (how?), some think once you're dead you're just dead, and some are trusting in the fact they were baptized. :icon_sad:

Yes, many don't care, they are out to get what they can, living a life of leisure, or a life of partying, with the thought that is all their be to life. I feel sure most of them if they have the time on their death bed that they will have 2nd thoughts with fear crowding into their brains about what comes next.

To be saved you must admit that you are a sinner. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." You must admit that you owe a debt. Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death..." You need to know that only Jesus can pay this debt for us. Romans 6:23 "...The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. You must admit that Jesus is Lord. Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." You must ask God for Salvation. Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." What Is Your Decision? :yeah:

I don't see why not. Christians disagree on all sorts of different things, hence forums like these. What really matters is that the person in question does in fact believe that Jesus died for their sins and rose again, and without that we have no hope. Everything else is secondary, really.

No.
Possibly.
No.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

Only God knows a person's heart. They must only be saved by the grace of Jesus who died for their sins. I don't think people should put conditions on salvation.

Only God knows a person's heart. They must only be saved by the grace of Jesus who died for their sins. I don't think people should put conditions on salvation.

God put conditions on how one can be saved, we have to abide by His conditions. If one is trusting in Jesus, plus water baptizing, them they're not trusting 100% in Jesus.

There is only one way a person can be saved, its by grace, through faith in Jesus, not of your self, not of works, its a gift.

In this statement:
"...he believes he must believe in Jesus Christ and be baptized to be saved?"

The person is adding that without being baptized one cannot be saved, so its 100% wrong.

1. No he is not. If you believe that Jesus and baptism saves, then you are basing your salvation off of a works base. Ephesians 2:8-9,
THe person also robs God of is glory since he is playing a part in his salvation GOd clearly states in Isaiah 42:8 that He will not give His glory to anyone.
THe person also denies the sufficiency of the Sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

2. Yes and No. The saved person can have this belief early in his Christian walk by influences from false teachers but if he is truly saved, the Lord will direct his paths in the ways of righteousness. As a child of God, GOd takes care of His own like a loving father. THe person who professes salvation but has this belief may not be truly saved and this can be God showing the person to examine himself to see if he is in the faith and needs to repent and turn to Christ alone for salvation.

3. Yes and No. No, because the Jesus of the Bible states clearly in John 14:6. Based on the statement above, the person is believing a false christ who is the way to Heaven for some but not for others. At the same time, let's say this person is truly saved. If he beleives this, his walk with the Lord is crippled as he will have a hard time witnessing to people and will be casting doubt to the lost. THat person needs to read his Bible and beleive it without question knowing that it is 100% truth.

God Bless.