• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fundamentalism

• Members

What do you think of this article? Agree? Disagree? (By the way, it's written by a fundamentalist.)

http://seminary.wcts1030.com/resources/nick-of-time/169-lets-get-clear-on-this

There are a lot of places where I agree with him. This isn't so bad in my church; however, when I go to various conferences and such, there just seems to be so much division. I hate going somewhere and hearing someone who is trying to reach the lost for Christ trashed by another preacher. If they're preaching a false Gospel or are in OBvious error, I can understand. But it's usually such minor issues that are singled out.

Also, here is an older, longer article by the same man:

http://www.aaccs.info/media/Bauder%20A%20Fundamentalism%20Worth%20Saving.pdf

So what are your thoughts?

• Members

What do you think of this article? Agree? Disagree? (By the way, it's written by a fundamentalist.)

http://seminary.wcts1030.com/resources/nick-of-time/169-lets-get-clear-on-this

There are a lot of places where I agree with him. This isn't so bad in my church; however, when I go to various conferences and such, there just seems to be so much division. I hate going somewhere and hearing someone who is trying to reach the lost for Christ trashed by another preacher. If they're preaching a false Gospel or are in OBvious error, I can understand. But it's usually such minor issues that are singled out.

The author is articulate and the article is well written.

• Members

Kevin Bauder, Sharper Iron Kevin Bauder is dangerous.

It has become very evident that he doesn't condone separation resorts to using slander to attack those who do and is looking to yoke up with other new evangelicals and Calvinist. I use the term evident because I have read enough of his articles and read how he regards his "enemies". Go to SI and see for yourself. I would use discernment though.

For whatever un usual reason Calvinism is the new "Item Du Jour" among "Young Fundamentalist".

I do to one extent or another agree that fundamentalism is almost a poor choice of terms. In one respect it suggests a denomination. To yet another it would suggest quick prayerism, Ruckmanites and Hyles. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, I am and remain IFB.

Till the IFB's separate from the truth of scripture and refuse to admonish those in error within their own camp wholesale (ie. Sword Of The Lord). I do remain IFB.

Respectfully Submitted,

Br Steve

Gal. 2.20

Edited by MilkmanDan

• Members

It's a real shame but I see many IFBs going the way of other churches, its just took them a little longer to get going.

We have one IFB church in the area which has dropped the KJB, dropped hymns in favor of all CCM, dropped their dress standards, dropped most of their separation standards even to the point of joining hands with the local Catholic church for "common cause" events and yet they still call themselves IFB!

The only other IFB church still close to this area has dwindled to about a dozen elderly members and a few years ago when I checked into that church the pastor made it clear they were not interested in others joining them :puzzled3: The church will die out soon.

Several evangelical churches in the area call themselves fundamentalists.

Sad to say but neither the name Baptist nor even the more specific IFB holds the same meaning today as in years past. IFBs seem to be increasingly divided into various "camps" that either refuse to accept the other "camps" or they outright war against them. At the same time it seems a growing number of IFBs are going the way of the mainstream churches. Some drop the IFB title but others retain the name while dropping what would traditionally have been considered mandatory for a church to call itself IFB.

• Members

I have noticed the soon demise of the IFB movement too. It is a pity, but when man begins to run things, it always comes to ruin. Fundamentalism is dying, and is going the way of the world, sinking in the mire of self destruction, but we all must ask ourselves "What can I do?" and "Is it worth saving at this point?" Milkman pointed out that "in one respect it is a denomination", and he is right. Once it becomes a denomination it loses its distinction as "Independent"; thank the Lord that as long as there is a remnant, fundamentalism lives on.

• Members

I have noticed the soon demise of the IFB movement too. It is a pity, but when man begins to run things, it always comes to ruin. Fundamentalism is dying, and is going the way of the world, sinking in the mire of self destruction, but we all must ask ourselves "What can I do?" and "Is it worth saving at this point?" Milkman pointed out that "in one respect it is a denomination", and he is right. Once it becomes a denomination it loses its distinction as "Independent"; thank the Lord that as long as there is a remnant, fundamentalism lives on.

Good OBservations. It's true that IFB has pretty much become a denomination. Part of this has come about because of the various "camps" which have formed. For some, it's like they gather themselves together, circle the wagons and conduct themselves as if they are one.

You are very correct that we need to look and see what we can do. If we have a church, or find ourselves in one, which is going the wrong direction we must seek God and discover whether that church is yet possible to save or if the Lord would have us shake off the dust and move on.

God always has a remnant so there will always be at least a few good churches out there but they could become very few and very far between. We as individual Christians are going to have to step up our prayer lives and our growth in Christ so we can rightly weather this storm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's a real shame but I see many IFBs going the way of other churches, its just took them a little longer to get going.

We have one IFB church in the area which has dropped the KJB, dropped hymns in favor of all CCM, dropped their dress standards, dropped most of their separation standards even to the point of joining hands with the local Catholic church for "common cause" events and yet they still call themselves IFB!

The only other IFB church still close to this area has dwindled to about a dozen elderly members and a few years ago when I checked into that church the pastor made it clear they were not interested in others joining them :puzzled3: The church will die out soon.

Several evangelical churches in the area call themselves fundamentalists.

Sad to say but neither the name Baptist nor even the more specific IFB holds the same meaning today as in years past. IFBs seem to be increasingly divided into various "camps" that either refuse to accept the other "camps" or they outright war against them. At the same time it seems a growing number of IFBs are going the way of the mainstream churches. Some drop the IFB title but others retain the name while dropping what would traditionally have been considered mandatory for a church to call itself IFB.

I can still say that my church is a fundamentalist when it comes to music and dress standard. Our Pastors always encourage us to stay away from CCM and the doctrine of separation is very fundamental to us.