• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Can Lying Or Stealing Ever Be Acceptable?

• Members

Sir,

So then, given that the Word of God on this matter has no doubt been put forth in this forum before and furthermore has been expounded by others before you were even born, why bother beginning this thread at all? Why put forth what has already been put forth? That's the logical consequence of your own argument.

Sir,
I started this topic because I thought of it when I clicked on "new topic", or this is what made me click "new topic." I thought it would be interesting; a good idea. I did not possibly imagine there would be any disagreement over an issue so clearly answered in Scripture, and I was shocked and disturbed there was. How, I do not know, but I was.
Actually, the Word of God has been used to bring up some interesting points. I agree, Al, that a discussion like this is not a waste of time.

Ma'am, I never said it was a waste of time; that is a straw man. I am merely saying it has gone far enough - perhaps too long - as the Word, which cannot be argued against, has been put forth. And its view on this matter is blatantly clear.

I do request that this topic please be locked.
God bless,
Joel.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know Crush has requested this to be locked, so if the mods see fit I understand them deleting this post.

One last question. Would you follow a leader that was a liar. No one has even tried to argue that Moses did not tell the truth to Pharoah. He told him a three day journey into the wilderness. Pharoah was afraid they would run despite what Moses said. Moses NEVER said he wanted the people set free. The Bible is very plain that Pharoah was angered when he was told the people fled. The ten commandments say thou shalt not KILL. I feel that word is proper. The Bible then says that there are exceptions. Thou shalt not steal, yet the children of israel borrowed from the egyptians with no plans of returning. That in my book if I was an egyptian would be stealing. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Yet Moses never told Pharoah the truth.

• Members

*Ahem*.

The posts done after this look like more than "final thoughts" to me. The reason this needs to be ended is because the Word of God has been put forth, and there is nothing more that can be done than that. It's just a waste of time.

You can choose to ignore His Word or heed it.
God bless,
Joel.

Sir,
I started this topic because I thought of it when I clicked on "new topic", or this is what made me click "new topic." I thought it would be interesting; a good idea. I did not possibly imagine there would be any disagreement over an issue so clearly answered in Scripture, and I was shocked and disturbed there was. How, I do not know, but I was.

Ma'am, I never said it was a waste of time; that is a straw man. I am merely saying it has gone far enough - perhaps too long - as the Word, which cannot be argued against, has been put forth. And its view on this matter is blatantly clear.

I do request that this topic please be locked.
God bless,
Joel.

sorry, but I was readying back through and thought these two posts were very interesting considering the topic. Did Crush or did crush not say it was a waste of time, LOL. We all make mistakes. I just thought the subject made this one funny!!!

• Members

sorry, but I was readying back through and thought these two posts were very interesting considering the topic. Did Crush or did crush not say it was a waste of time, LOL. We all make mistakes. I just thought the subject made this one funny!!!

Sir:
HappyChristian said: "Actually, the Word of God has been used to bring up some interesting points. I agree, Al, that a discussion like this is not a waste of time."
I said: "Ma'am, I never said it was a waste of time; that is a straw man. I am merely saying it has gone far enough - perhaps too long - as the Word, which cannot be argued against, has been put forth. And its view on this matter is blatantly clear."

I said continuing, when the Word of God was blatantly clear on the subject and had been put forth, was a waste of time. Not discussions or "a discussion like this" were a waste of time.
God bless,
Joel.

• Members

I know Crush has requested this to be locked, so if the mods see fit I understand them deleting this post.

One last question. Would you follow a leader that was a liar. No one has even tried to argue that Moses did not tell the truth to Pharoah. He told him a three day journey into the wilderness. Pharoah was afraid they would run despite what Moses said. Moses NEVER said he wanted the people set free. The Bible is very plain that Pharoah was angered when he was told the people fled. The ten commandments say thou shalt not KILL. I feel that word is proper. The Bible then says that there are exceptions. Thou shalt not steal, yet the children of israel borrowed from the egyptians with no plans of returning. That in my book if I was an egyptian would be stealing. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Yet Moses never told Pharoah the truth.

You need to reread this section of Scripture. You are here basically calling Moses and even God liars!

God chose to test Pharoah and this is what three day journey aspect was about. This wasn't a lie, it was a part of Gods test and overall plan.

To kill is wrong but in this fallen world accidents happen which is why God discussed this in the law. The law never states there is any room to fit in lying or stealing.

Part of Gods punishment upon the Egyptians was that he moved them to give their wealth to the Hebrews. This wasn't stealing, it was a matter of Gods punishment.

Moses told Pharoah what God commanded him to tell him. If you notice, God had a step by step plan which He put into effect and both God and Moses were honest throughout as the plan unfolded.

It doesn't surprise me anymore to hear Methodists, Episcopalians and many other professing Christians trying to excuse various sins but I stand (or sit) amazed at what I've read in this thread coming from Baptists.

God clearly calls lying a sin, an abomination even, yet some believe God lies and commands HIs people to lie :puzzled3:

• Members

I realize I'm simpleminded and maybe that's why it's easier for me to see this because I don't overanalyze it.

People are talking about men or women lying...not God. I don't know of any scripture where God condones lying and flat out says it. I do know scripture where God condones killing (war, death penalty) and I've provided some of the scripture.

If someone lies just once are they considered a liar? If so, I've followed many leaders that are liars and I prOBably will continue to because it's in our nature to sin and lying is a prominent one. I'm know men of God that are holy and live their life for God have lied maybe in the heat of a conversation or maybe lied to themselves or thought about telling a lie or whatever. So, I'm confused on the question about following someone that is a liar...haven't we all?

God is no liar and I don't see any scripture where God flat out says "Good jOB for lying" or "Lie to this person". But, I do see scripture (yes, beating a dead horse I guess) that clearly states where there are exceptions to killing.

Maybe I'm missing something, refer to my first sentence and you'll know why. :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Durty

• Members

I realize I'm simpleminded and maybe that's why it's easier for me to see this because I don't overanalyze it.

People are talking about men or women lying...not God. I don't know of any scripture where God condones lying and flat out says it. I do know scripture where God condones killing (war, death penalty) and I've provided some of the scripture.

If someone lies just once are they considered a liar? If so, I've followed many leaders that are liars and I prOBably will continue to because it's in our nature to sin and lying is a prominent one. I'm know men of God that are holy and live their life for God have lied maybe in the heat of a conversation or maybe lied to themselves or thought about telling a lie or whatever. So, I'm confused on the question about following someone that is a liar...haven't we all?

God is no liar and I don't see any scripture where God flat out says "Good jOB for lying" or "Lie to this person". But, I do see scripture (yes, beating a dead horse I guess) that clearly states where there are exceptions to killing.

Maybe I'm missing something, refer to my first sentence and you'll know why. :icon_mrgreen:

True, all men sin and as far as I know lying is one sin that all men do or have done. True also that God never commends lying. Lying is a sin no matter who is telling the lie and God can't call evil good or reward evil.

God divides killing into categories of murder, accidental death, self defense and execution. God explains all of this in His law so we can understand.

When it comes to something so clear as God stating all lies are sin and an abomination you are very right not to try and overanalyze.

• Members

You need to reread this section of Scripture. You are here basically calling Moses and even God liars!

God chose to test Pharoah and this is what three day journey aspect was about. This wasn't a lie, it was a part of Gods test and overall plan.

To kill is wrong but in this fallen world accidents happen which is why God discussed this in the law. The law never states there is any room to fit in lying or stealing.

Part of Gods punishment upon the Egyptians was that he moved them to give their wealth to the Hebrews. This wasn't stealing, it was a matter of Gods punishment.

Moses told Pharoah what God commanded him to tell him. If you notice, God had a step by step plan which He put into effect and both God and Moses were honest throughout as the plan unfolded.

It doesn't surprise me anymore to hear Methodists, Episcopalians and many other professing Christians trying to excuse various sins but I stand (or sit) amazed at what I've read in this thread coming from Baptists.

God clearly calls lying a sin, an abomination even, yet some believe God lies and commands HIs people to lie :puzzled3:

OK John, guide me. Show passages within Moses dealings that show that he was totally honest with pharoah. Let me put what I see in a way I think all should be able to understand. We are next door neighbors. I come to see you and tell you I feel I am being told by God to go to a special service in a place where my ancesters came from (Ex 5:1-3). (Moses did not go into the detail of where they had came from, but for this example it still fits). I then ask if I can Borrow (To take from another by request and consent, with a view to use the thing taken for a time, and return it, or if the thing taken is to be consumed or transferred in the use, then to return an equivalent in kind; as, to borrow a book, a sum of money,or a loaf of bread. It is opposed to lend.) your luggage for the trip (or money ,or whatever) (Ex. 3:22 God speaking, Ex 12:35-36 people doing as Moses said). You Lend (EX 12:36 says lent past tense of lend) (1. To grant to another for temporary use, on the express or implied condition that the thing shall be returned; as, to lend a book; or 2. To grant a thing to be used, on the condition that its equivalent in kind shall be returned; as, to lend a sum of money, or a loaf of bread.) it to me. The next day you see a Uhaul pulling out. The days, weeks, etc go by (ex 14:5 says it was told to pharoah that the people fled or basically were running away. He thought they were going on a three day journey) and you finally figure out I am NEVER coming back with your luggage. Now what would you say I have done??? Did I lie to you??? Did I steal from you???? I really believe if you will honestly look at it you will see you would.

You said God moved the egyptians to "give" there wealth to the jews. Can you provide chapter and verse??? I have given chapter and verse that says the jews borrowed, and the egyptians lent. You say I am calling God and Moses both liars. Actually if you will go back up and look at what Suzy said about that there might be times that God does not look at it as a lie, just as he at times does not look at killing, you will see we are not calling God a liar. If you will reread the account of Moses and the exodus, and really look at what all is said, considering the end and what pharoah believed, you will in fact find you are the one calling them liars.

Now lets lay a few verses side by side and see what we find.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Now I know that last one looks very out of place, but it is there for a reason. We will look at it first. Alpha and Omega, beginning and end. Why am I pointing that out? Well, it shows Christ as the eternal one. Not just in the beginning or end, or both. It includes all time. It shows he always has been. He does not mention the things in between, they are understood. Now James uses the same kind of statement. Received and sent out. He is not excluding what she did in the middle. It is included by the word and just as with Christ. Now Rev. I have always noticed a very interesting thing about this verse. It gives room for some of each in the list to actually be saved except one. It says "ALL" liars. No exceptions. Wow, where does that get us. Well, in the case of Rahab, it puts us in a bit of a spot. How was she justified by works? Received and sending out. Now even if you want to ignore the things of the word and being included, you find her being a liar after she received the spies. Now how could that be when "ALL LIARS" are condemned? It would have to be simply sent out. But how could that be? Gets deep doesn't it. Now let's look at one more verse that might shed some light on all liars.

1Jn 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

Now was Moses when he was not honest with pharoah denying Christ?

• Members

The question is not considering a single lie. If you look at the entire working between Moses and Pharoah you find Moses starting out with a request for 3 days, and then continuing that same request. He starts with let my people go 3 days, and then continues with let my people go. He never changes it to let my people go free. It is always a request for 3 days. You see this in pharoah being angered by them fleeing. A single lie is different than a continual lie that is the whole basis for leading. A pastor who slips and tells a lie once would be much different than the one who tells he is the husband of one wife, not telling about the 5 divorces he has had.

• Members

OK John, guide me. Show passages within Moses dealings that show that he was totally honest with pharoah. Let me put what I see in a way I think all should be able to understand. We are next door neighbors. I come to see you and tell you I feel I am being told by God to go to a special service in a place where my ancesters came from (Ex 5:1-3). (Moses did not go into the detail of where they had came from, but for this example it still fits). I then ask if I can Borrow (To take from another by request and consent, with a view to use the thing taken for a time, and return it, or if the thing taken is to be consumed or transferred in the use, then to return an equivalent in kind; as, to borrow a book, a sum of money,or a loaf of bread. It is opposed to lend.) your luggage for the trip (or money ,or whatever) (Ex. 3:22 God speaking, Ex 12:35-36 people doing as Moses said). You Lend (EX 12:36 says lent past tense of lend) (1. To grant to another for temporary use, on the express or implied condition that the thing shall be returned; as, to lend a book; or 2. To grant a thing to be used, on the condition that its equivalent in kind shall be returned; as, to lend a sum of money, or a loaf of bread.) it to me. The next day you see a Uhaul pulling out. The days, weeks, etc go by (ex 14:5 says it was told to pharoah that the people fled or basically were running away. He thought they were going on a three day journey) and you finally figure out I am NEVER coming back with your luggage. Now what would you say I have done??? Did I lie to you??? Did I steal from you???? I really believe if you will honestly look at it you will see you would.

You said God moved the egyptians to "give" there wealth to the jews. Can you provide chapter and verse??? I have given chapter and verse that says the jews borrowed, and the egyptians lent. You say I am calling God and Moses both liars. Actually if you will go back up and look at what Suzy said about that there might be times that God does not look at it as a lie, just as he at times does not look at killing, you will see we are not calling God a liar. If you will reread the account of Moses and the exodus, and really look at what all is said, considering the end and what pharoah believed, you will in fact find you are the one calling them liars.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Now I know that last one looks very out of place, but it is there for a reason. We will look at it first. Alpha and Omega, beginning and end. Why am I pointing that out? Well, it shows Christ as the eternal one. Not just in the beginning or end, or both. It includes all time. It shows he always has been. He does not mention the things in between, they are understood. Now James uses the same kind of statement. Received and sent out. He is not excluding what she did in the middle. It is included by the word and just as with Christ. Now Rev. I have always noticed a very interesting thing about this verse. It gives room for some of each in the list to actually be saved except one. It says "ALL" liars. No exceptions. Wow, where does that get us. Well, in the case of Rahab, it puts us in a bit of a spot. How was she justified by works? Received and sending out. Now even if you want to ignore the things of the word and being included, you find her being a liar after she received the spies. Now how could that be when "ALL LIARS" are condemned? It would have to be simply sent out. But how could that be? Gets deep doesn't it. Now let's look at one more verse that might shed some light on all liars.

1Jn 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

I read Revelation 21:8 as everyone deserves to go to hell. Because everyone was or is a liar. But, you don't go to hell if you are saved FROM hell. You still deserve to go there but you've been saved by grace through faith. That is a perfect scripture to show someone when you are witnessing to them because it will show them that ALL people deserve and will go to hell unless they change their mind and believe on Jesus Christ. After showing Romans 3:23 and I think it's Romans 3:10 I might jump to that Revelation chapter and verse but then to Acts 16:31. That's kind of the meat but there are quite a few other verses to throw in there depending on the situation. I really do think you are misunderstanding that piece of scripture in Revelation though.

• Members

The question is not considering a single lie. If you look at the entire working between Moses and Pharoah you find Moses starting out with a request for 3 days, and then continuing that same request. He starts with let my people go 3 days, and then continues with let my people go. He never changes it to let my people go free. It is always a request for 3 days. You see this in pharoah being angered by them fleeing. A single lie is different than a continual lie that is the whole basis for leading. A pastor who slips and tells a lie once would be much different than the one who tells he is the husband of one wife, not telling about the 5 divorces he has had.

I'll look at what your saying but wanted to reiterate, I never said Moses didn't lie or try to mislead (I just don't know if he did or not because I haven't studied it). I'm talking about God never telling a lie and never condoning a lie. It's just not in the Bible that I can see. Edited by Durty

• Members

Amazing...just amazing

Exodus 4:22,23 "And thout shalt say unto Pharoah, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: And I say unto thee, Le my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn."

Moses said what God told him to say.

We read in further chapters also that Moses spoke what God told him to say.

God was putting Pharoah to the test and setting the stage for judgement upon Pharoah and Egypt as well as showing forth His glory for the world to see.

Edited by John81

• Members

I really shouldn't even post anymore...but I just wanted to kinda back rancher up and say...God doesn't lie.....but since His thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are His ways our ways...its very possible that what we say was a lie by Rahab, or Moses...doesn't count as a lie in God's eyes because of their MOTIVE and REASONING and who they were dealing with...GODS ENEMIES.

Its very true God doesn't condemn any part of what Rahab did. Therefore, what Rahab did must not be condemned in Scripture. The lies that God condemns must not be the kind of "lie" that protects God's people.

Again we are using English semantics to describe this. We can definitely say "God doesn't want us to lie" and we would be right! But for us to say "God did not approve of Rahab's lie" is WRONG. Because number one, God only reveals approval for Rahab, so we have no right to say He disapproved of anything she did. Also, God never said Rahab lied! WE look at the situation and say she lied. But God did NOT say she "lied". God says her works were blessed. We call that "work" a lie, but maybe God does not!!!!

Sometimes I think we try to fit our own logic to God's Word and God says that his wisdom is foolishness to the world, because we are so low we cannot understand what he does and why he does it.

Am I saying we have a license to lie? No. Am I saying God made so called "exceptions" (at least in our minds) to His law? Yes! Of course to Him they are prOBably NOT exceptions...its just simply that we do not understand His law, completely, to begin with.

By the way my husband preached a great message Sunday night on James 4:11 ¶ Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

He taught us that these verses are saying that when we judge anyone (I suppose it can include Rahab!!!) by our own logic and standards rather than based on what the Word of God actually SAYS, then we are actually presuming to judge on God's Law, the Bible. We are saying "Bible, you are not being strict enough in this area." And therefore we presume to speak evil of, and judge, God's Law. Its mostly a good verse for the IFBx people who make rules in their church about the color of shirt they can wear, not wearing pleated pants, what kind of school they should send their kids to, and other manmade rules....but anyway...my point is...Rahab was NOT SAID of God to have sinned. We therefore have no right to say she did, because we are actually judging God's Law when we do. We can say Rahab lied...or she used "Military Strategy"....whatever she did...was NOT wrong in God's eyes and there is no Scripture to prove otherwise.

• Members

this was before the 10 commandment.

• Members

Amazing...just amazing

Exodus 4:22,23 "And thout shalt say unto Pharoah, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: And I say unto thee, Le my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn."

Moses said what God told him to say.

We read in further chapters also that Moses spoke what God told him to say.

God was putting Pharoah to the test and setting the stage for judgement upon Pharoah and Egypt as well as showing forth His glory for the world to see.

Then God told Moses to tell Pharoah about the three days. They did go three days...and more. haha. They did borrow....they never promised to return. I will point out that Hannah "lent" Samuel to the Lord and did not get him back, so I do think possibly "borrow" and "lent" could have different meanings if you study them out. Not sure about that. (Rancher just saying its possible the Egyptians did not really expect to get anything back.)

However yes they did expect them to come back after 3 days.

Now I think in our puny minds we call this a lie. But I don't think God does, because God did it. Again like before...we can call it what we like, and judge it how we like, but God did it, God told Moses to do it...and call it "military deception" again if it makes you feel better....but its there in the Bible.

Apply to today...I do not think military deception is wrong even today.