• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lord's Supper: how often does your church observe?

34 members have voted

1. 1. How often does your church observe the Lord's Supper?

• Monthly
    • Semi-annually
    • Annually
    • Other

• Members

We partake of the Lord's Supper the first Sunday of each month.

Same with our church.

The regularity of the Lord's Supper in scripture is "For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come" 1 Corinthians 11:26, so that leaves it open to each local church.

If the Lord's Supper is about "remembrance" of what Jesus did for us (1 Corinthians 11:24-25), and it shows the Lord's death until he comes for us (which is when we stop practising it, unless death meets us first) then I believe it should be observed MORE often than less!

• Members

Same with our church.

The regularity of the Lord's Supper in scripture is "For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come" 1 Corinthians 11:26, so that leaves it open to each local church.

If the Lord's Supper is about "remembrance" of what Jesus did for us (1 Corinthians 11:24-25), and it shows the Lord's death until he comes for us (which is when we stop practising it, unless death meets us first) then I believe it should be observed MORE often than less!

I think those that believe it shouldn't be done a regular basis feel that if it is, there is a good chance it could become more of a ritual than a remembrance. Just my :twocents:

• Members
I think those that believe it shouldn't be done a regular basis feel that if it is, there is a good chance it could become more of a ritual than a remembrance. Just my :twocents:

Yep, I totally understand there could be a danger of that happening, so the people need to be taught thoroughly what the Lord's Supper means and constantly reminded that it is to be taken very seriously and not turned into some insincere religious practise.

I see the Lord's Supper as a tool God uses to remind us what Christ did and to remind us that Christ is coming back! God also uses it to encourage Christians to keep their hearts right with him, and uses it to unify the assembly. All good reasons to do it more often than less.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

As far as I can tell, we do it randomly -- whenever Pastor decides. It works out to twice or three times a year.
We also practice 'close' communion. Anyone who is saved is encouraged to examine themselves and partake if they are close to the Lord. If we're walking in disobedience, we are encouraged to not partake.

Edited by salyan

• 3 months later...