• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lord's Supper: how often does your church observe?

34 members have voted

1. 1. How often does your church observe the Lord's Supper?

• Monthly
    • Semi-annually
    • Annually
    • Other

• Members

Because Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper by transitioning it from the Passover observance, the ideal way would seem to be to observe it annually. This would make the Lord's Supper less routine and more special, and everyone can plan on it far in advance. Other special day observances (e.g.Christmas, Thanksgiving)though not mandated in Scripture, would lose their specialness if observed more frequently. However, concerning the frequency of the Lord's Supper, the Lord did not make it wrong to observe it more frequently (as oft). We observe it the Tuesday evening before Resurrection Sunday; this would have been the same night Jesus observed it (this is assuming He was crucified on Wednesday). By doing it on an evening that we normally do not have a church service, it eliminates visitors from "popping in" on us. In addition, those who observe it have to go out of their way on a different night to observe it. This avoids taking it just because one is already there. We do observe a closed Lord's Supper service because we believe that it is a church ordinance (as the Statement of Faith of nearly every IFB church states), not a denominational, or interdenominational ordinance. Those who are not members of any church also should not partake because they are in a state of disobedience concerning being a member of the institution that Jesus Himself founded(unless searching diligently for a home church, and should therefore wait until that choice is made). We do not criticize other churches for their method of observing the Lord's Supper, nor do we make it a dividing issue concerning fellowship. If I were a layman looking for a church, I would not make it the main issue. Sound KJB preaching and Bible evangelism are first and foremost when choosing a church.
God bless!

• Members

We observe the Lord's Supper 3 times per year, we serve it only to members of our local church.

As for how many times per year, we feel that is left up to the local church, what ever they chose is fine with me. Yet as you stated, if you serve it every Sunday it would somehow lose its true meaning and become a tradition that you just walk through with no meaning to it.

I do not care to nor do I want to get into a debate, I would not consider being part of a church that would open the Lord's table to anyone who is no a member of that local church.

Here is 3 articles that pretty well describes what we thing of this issue.

Closed Communion - What We Believe

The Baptist Position On The Lord's Supper

Four Facts Showing Supper A Local Church Function

• Members

I'm not sure. We've been attending our IFB church for about two months and I haven't seen it yet ~ although, I think they may do it at the evening service and we haven't been to a lot of those yet, just the mornings. I think it's only for "official church members" though [different than other churches we've been to] ~ we aren't, yet.

So yeah.. I voted "other" ~ closest thing to "I don't know!" :P

Edited by Emma

• Administrators

I voted "other" because we don't have a set time for observing. We have it when our pastor believes we need it as a church. He wants us to use that time for examining ourselves, but not in a ritualistic way. We do have it at least once a year.

Edited to add: we practice "close" communion, which is that those who are born again can participate.

• Members

I put annually but I've only been a part of one and was just recently. Did not have one last year before Easter so it's probably not every year. Did it on a Thurs night, no fellowship afterward, left with a Hymn and on our way. Members in good standing only.

• Members

Our church conducts it quarterly. And although Jesus instituted it at Passover, which was an annual event for the Jews, He never had another opportunity to conduct it with His disciples because it was His last meal.

1 Cor 11:26 - For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

That verse seems to allow for more observances than once a year. I do agree with you that conducting it too often can take away from its significance. I've never attended a Baptist church that conducted it more than once a month nor have I attended one that observed it only once a year. All have been somewhere in between.

But to say an annual observance is "ideal" is stretching it a bit, I think, but your mileage may vary.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I picked other because we do it on the last Sunday on every 5 Sunday month, and after the evening service. We are closed to other denominations. We could not turn away a visiting missionary, or others of like faith and belief. Nothing like asking family to leave your home when it is time to eat, so we are not open, but we are not closed to those that are proper in belief. Had a missionary once that was so blessed because they had been on the road for quite some time. Had been in a previous church and were asked to leave so the members could partake of the Lord's Supper. I know it is each church and pastors decision, essential to us for proper confession of faith, proper baptism and proper church membership.

• Members

We do it as my husband sees fit, maybe 4x/year. For a time we were doing it monthly (I guess they used to do it that way) but it became just too ritualistic and something that *had* to be done, instead of something special.

He likes to do it around Easter and/or Christmas to help us remember Christ extra special at those times.

I'll have to tell him about your posts....we recently had a church member complain that we weren't having it enough. haha.