• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jail ministry

irishman

• Members

We recently had 5 saved at the County Jail, and 1 at the state prison--Praise the Lord! I often hear of one/some being saved in prison.

I know about "jailhouse religion" and that some think it will help their case, but the Lord knows who is truly saved, and who is not...for that matter, we do not no if the people we write to on this forum are saved, for sure. I only know that I am, and I take your word for it that you are.

Anyway, maybe a few inmates have begun a new life. I have quit the Jail ministry because of a stand on the KJB, but I still like to keep abreast of it. The "Rock of Ages" prison ministry has missionaries all over, one at our church, and they go to the state prisons, while several of the laymen go to the County Jail; it can be quite a blessing.

Praise the Lord, Irishman!  The pastor at the other IFB church that I went to was born in the area of TN, where the "Rock of Ages" ministry is located.  His mother and brother still live there, so he visits when he can.  We also supported a ministry through them from a town just south of me.  The missionaries are a wonderful blessing!

I have been thinking about getting involved in prison ministry quite a bit as of late.  Does anyone here have experience in the one-on-one "friendly visitor" type of ministry?

I have been to a female juvenile facility, several years back Joseph.  I drove two girls to the prison after service one Sunday morning.  The missionary (who was saved in prison himself) gave the message.  When the two girls gave their testimonies, two girls were saved.  We talked with each girl one on one.  The missionary always does a follow up after each salvation to see how the inmates are doing.  Many have the blessed reassurance of salvation.  So, from my understanding, preach the word of God, then talk about what Jesus has done in your life.  Our testimonies are a wonderful way to win people to Christ.  Hope this helps you a bit.  

• Members

I am looking for information or experiences where there is no message preached to a group, but rather, one on one visitor interaction.  

One of my experiences may be what you're looking for...

I was on the jury during the trial of a young man who was accused of several unsavory things. We acquitted him simply for lack of evidence. He still had to spend a little time in the county jail for a day or two (I don't know why...processing maybe?) Anyway, the day after the trial, I went to the jail under a heavy burden to witness to this young man.

I went there and told them who I was and that I would like to speak to the young man (I used his name). The Chief Deputy (who is a preacher) came out to get more information from me...but I knew the Chief Deputy personally...and I knew the Sheriff personally...so that may have helped. 

I told the Chief Deputy that I wanted to witness to the young man, and he said that was great...and he went to get him for me.  They took me to a separate room, and in a few minutes, the young man walked in, and they shut us in the room alone.

He recognized me from the trial of course, so he looked a little perplexed. I told him that I wasn't there to discuss the trial, but that I was concerned for him...that he OBviously had made some bad decisions with his life. I told him that I was there because I was concerned about where he would spend eternity...that he needed to be saved, and I would like to share how to be saved with him.

He stopped me and said that was incredible. I asked him why, and he said that they came and got him from a chapel service to meet with me...that right before they came and got him, he was thinking and praying that he wished someone could tell him how to be saved.

I took my time explaining salvation to him, and he was saved right then and there. AMEN!

This was prOBably 15+ years ago. The one-on-one worked great during that instance. That's the only time I've ever done one-on-one in a jail like that. Perhaps the fact that I knew the Chief Deputy and the Sheriff personally helped the situation, but one thing I know is that God put me there at just the right time when that young man was ready to be saved.

• Members

I have been thinking about getting involved in prison ministry quite a bit as of late.  Does anyone here have experience in the one-on-one "friendly visitor" type of ministry?

I worked the jail ministry while a member of Open Door Baptist in the Seattle area. We worked the Snohomish County Jail, where we were able to preach to groups, many inmates sign up for church hour to hang out with their friends in other parts of the Jail. (I heard the gospel that way in California Youth Authority - that´s another story)

We also worked the King County Jail where it was a one on one format. You could choose "pods" where you were allowed into the main area and could sit at a table until an inmate approached you.

The chaplains are mostly ecumenical, but their jOB forces them to be due to laws made by reprOBate politicians. Even and IFB chaplain has to abide by all kinds of limitations. The key is to keep focused on the BIG picture, and with all due respect to my brethren here, the KJB is NOT the BIG picture in a Jail ministry.

I liked the one on one. After a while if you are regular, you can influence a few men and teach them sound doctrine. They will be waiting for you to show up, your table will grow, other men will come around and check it out.

Perhaps my own "street cred" made me a little more popular.

If you bash other religions, they will weed you out.

Jail ministry is rewarding, but it does not grow a church, neither does street preaching, but we should do it anyways.

It will do more for you by sharpening your edge, giving you a heart fro people, give you compassion for lost folks that make stupid choices, teach you gratefulness for what you have,

M;y friend in Battlecreek has a great Jail ministry, Pastor Randy Stewart.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

Joseph Redgate, on 07 May 2014 - 3:00 PM, said:snapback.png

I did see this Joseph and your enthusiasm is wonderful!  I just recalled that another man from that church had a wonderful one on one prison ministry, in the inner city of an area just west of me.  Not to put a damper on anything; however he was 80 years old at the time, and was well grounded in the KJV.  Maybe you can find a good IFB church to go to first, whose doctrine lines up with God's word, then proceed from there.  JMO  :)   

• Members

Thank you for sharing your experience, Calvary.  I never even thought of being able to be in a position where inmates could approach you in their own time... how great!

Please forgive my simple-mindedness, but this part confused me a bit.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean here; I have been known to not always be the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

I just mean that most times the fruit of the jail ministry doesn´t see its fullness in the church house on Sundays. Many say it´s a waste of time because the "saved convicts" never come to church. But not all ministry should find it´s fulfillment in the local church.

You will mature, grow and bear fruit there, and you take that experience into life everywhere you go.

That´s all I´m saying.

Street preaching is the same. After preaching on streets in downtown for over 10 years, I can´t recall one person who ever came to our church. But I do know that many were saved, the gospel was planted in hearts and Christ was exalted in the public square. In addition, I have to say that in my own life it made me bolder for Christ, kept me sensitive to the needs of people, and gave me a compassion for souls that most Christians in the states never have.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

I just mean that most times the fruit of the jail ministry doesn´t see its fullness in the church house on Sundays. Many say it´s a waste of time because the "saved convicts" never come to church. But not all ministry should find it´s fulfillment in the local church.

You will mature, grow and bear fruit there, and you take that experience into life everywhere you go.

That´s all I´m saying.

Street preaching is the same. After preaching on streets in downtown for over 10 years, I can´t recall one person who ever came to our church. But I do know that many were saved, the gospel was planted in hearts and Christ was exalted in the public square. In addition, I have to say that in my own life it made me bolder for Christ, kept me sensitive to the needs of people, and gave me a compassion for souls that most Christians in the states never have.

God bless,

calvary

I especially agree with your last statement, Calvary.

Archived