• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Chili

• Administrators

We used canned stuff, too. We use tomatoes that have chili peppers in them to add extra zip. Add onions, tomato sauce. Kidney and pinto beans. Beef. Make sure it's kind of soupy. Put it in a crock pot and let it cook all day. When you fill your bowl, put cheese, sour cream and corn chips on top. Nummy!

When I had more time at home, I would use a pound of dried pinto beans, soak them overnight and then cook them until soft. After that, I would add all the other goodies, along with the beans, to the crock pot and let it just simmer all day.

• Members

This chili recipe gets rave reviews from everyone who eats it (especially men, b/c it's pretty meaty):

1) Brown 3# ground beef/chuck, seasoned with salt and pepper, along with 3-5 minced garlic cloves and a small onion (or half an onion). If I don't have onions and garlic on hand, I just use garlic powder and onion powder, but it doesn't taste as good as when I use fresh stuff.
2) Drain and place back in pot (I use Crock Pot if I have a while until dinner).
3) Stir in 12 oz. tomato paste and 12 oz. water. (I usually just put a big can of diced stewed tomatoes in with a little extra water.)
4) Stir in 3-4 15-oz. cans chili beans (in chili sauce). (I use either the store brand or Bush's Chili Beans.)
5) Stir in one pkg. chili seasoning (I use store brand or McCormick's or William's.)
6) Simmer/heat through.
7) Serve with toppings: sour cream, frito-type chips (or any kind of chips), cheddar cheese, salsa (for my husband).
8) Healthier and cheaper option: serve with cornbread or Saltine crackers.

Mmmmm....The smell of this chili cooking is enough to make everyone's mouth water!

• Members

Thanks for all your replies.

I was hoping that someone had a recipe using fresh ingredients rather than packets or tins. I have used tins (or cans, as you call them) and packets. I use Schwartz packets of Chil,Hot Chili, Tex-Mex Chili but I think there must be something better.

• Members

I was hoping that someone had a recipe using fresh ingredients rather than packets or tins. I have used tins (or cans, as you call them) and packets. I use Schwartz packets of Chil,Hot Chili, Tex-Mex Chili but I think there must be something better.

Yes they are, its Hormel Hot Chili no beans. thumb.gif

Did I tell you that my wife tried to fool me? It didn't work. I went and dug into the trash can and found a brand x chili can. She even tried to fool me the 2nd time!

• Members

Yes they are, its Hormel Hot Chili no beans. thumb.gif

Did I tell you that my wife tried to fool me? It didn't work. I went and dug into the trash can and found a brand x chili can. She even tried to fool me the 2nd time!

A wife that would try to fool you two times, that's grounds for dismissal!

• Members

2lbs ground beef (use one pound if you don't like much meat)
2 sm. onions or 1 large, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced

*Brown ground beef and garlic and onion in skillet, drain if needed. Place in large pot or crock-pot and add the following:

1 large (tall) can of tomato juice
2 small cans of black beans
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (use a little more if you like it HOT, but taste it first, a little goes a long way!)

After heated thoroughly, it is ready to serve, but it is really great to mix up and put in the crock-pot to serve a few hours later once it has had a chance to meld the flavors together nicely. My kids love this served with grilled cheese on the side.

• Members

Also, I forgot to add that I have used dried beans in the recipe that I posted before. You would just need to soak those beans and cook them first, adding them to the rest of the ingredients in place of the canned beans.