• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you agree with this quote?

• Members

This is just a quote I came across, I have no idea who made it, it was not me. I'm simply asked, would you agree or disagree with it?

I would not think it was referring to the days Jesus walked on this earth, but during our present days.

As for me, I believe its true.

• Members

This is just a quote I came across, I have no idea who made it, it was not me. I'm simply asked, would you agree or disagree with it?

I would not think it was referring to the days Jesus walked on this earth, but during our present days.

As for me, I believe its true.

All I need to believe is the Word of God; without God's Word what basis would we have?

• Members

For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

It can be true and false.

In a purely secular view NO.
In a purely non-secular view YES.

Also, there was a time when we were all non-believers. So, on the surface it sounds OK but this is better:
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

• Members

Amen! His Word said it best. Alway's does!!

It can be true and false.

In a purely secular view NO.
In a purely non-secular view YES.

Also, there was a time when we were all non-believers. So, on the surface it sounds OK but this is better:
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

• Members

You seem to try and complicate this quote. Maybe I'm missing something.

Jerry,

I'm sorry if you think I am trying to complicate this. I am not. I am however attempting to clarify what the precise meaning of your question was before giving an answer. I was trying to discern whether or not you were including hearing/reading the Word of God as a starting point or basis to believe.

I do believe the quote is mostly accurate in describing the situation; but OBviously it is not entirely accurate.

Once the person has heard/read the Word of God then you can say it is a true statement; but until they've heard/read the Word of God, I believe it to not be accurate.

I'd put the quote like this, "Once a person has heard God's word and believes, no proof is necessary beyond that, for those who have heard God's Word and don't believe (or rejected), no proof is possible."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

I don't agree with the quote. I think it implies that people are pre-determined to make a decision one way or another. If someone doesn't believe, they can be presented with proof and then they may believe.

• Members

I don't agree with the quote. I think it implies that people are pre-determined to make a decision one way or another. If someone doesn't believe, they can be presented with proof and then they may believe.

Do you agree with the last half?

Have you ever tried to lead someone to the Lord who stated if you could show me some tangible proof I would believe?

I don't feel the quote even hints toward Calvinism.