• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Brown calls anti-police booby traps in Riverside County 'urban terrorism'

• Members

Brown calls anti-police boOBy traps in Riverside County 'urban terrorism'

How long with it be before this is an every day occurrence throughout this country?

I might be in the minority for saying this, but as long as we continue to fight a hopeless war on drugs, we will continue to see violence as a result. It's our laws that create people that do these sorts of things. Look at what happened during prohibition during the 20's- violence, gangs, corruption, etc...

• Members

Yes, I've noticed, there is something about laws of the land, some people are going to always oppose them, for they hate the law, its gets in their way of getting money the way they want to get it. So they break the law, to get what they want.

So I suppose we ought to repeal every law against, stealing, killing, and so on that we have in America. That way we would not have any law breakers, would have no need for law enforcement offices, jails, or prisons, but at the same time no people would be safe.

No, your way makes no sense.

• Members

Yes, I've noticed, there is something about laws of the land, some people are going to always oppose them, for they hate the law, its gets in their way of getting money the way they want to get it. So they break the law, to get what they want.

So I suppose we ought to repeal every law against, stealing, killing, and so on that we have in America. That way we would not have any law breakers, would have no need for law enforcement offices, jails, or prisons, but at the same time no people would be safe.

No, your way makes no sense.

Drug use is a victimless crime. There is no force or fraud involved against another person or their property. The same cannot be said of stealing and murder.

• Members

Drug use is a victimless crime. There is no force or fraud involved against another person or their property. The same cannot be said of stealing and murder.

I'm sure drug use leads to the latter in a lot of cases.

• Members

Drug use is a victimless crime? Come with me for a night of patrol and you will never think that way again, especially after a guy amped up on meth hits and kills a kid on a bike.

When they overdose the families are not affected? Come with me when I have to tell a wife and kids that daddy died with a needle in his arm.

We have plenty of good laws, they just need to be enforced.

The real cure of course is Jesus, but we know that, or we should.

• Members

Drug use is a victimless crime? Come with me for a night of patrol and you will never think that way again, especially after a guy amped up on meth hits and kills a kid on a bike.

When they overdose the families are not affected? Come with me when I have to tell a wife and kids that daddy died with a needle in his arm.

We have plenty of good laws, they just need to be enforced.

The real cure of course is Jesus, but we know that, or we should.

John Stossel of Fox Business, he thinks both drugs and prostitution ought to be legal, he seems to be a libertarian. Perhaps Kubel is one of his fans.

• Members

@Jerry80871852,

Not a fan of John Strossel (I don't watch much TV, mine only gets local over-the-air channels, so I'm not sure I know who he is), but I am a libertarian ;).

@deputydog530,

The concept of liberty can be tricky to accept at first, and I entirely understand where you are coming from, because there's a lot of "what ifs" when you give people individual freedom- it can be scary to think about. (China is dealing with that now- they feel cutting back on censorship could dismantle their society and lead to revolution, and they have good reason to be afraid, because it's prOBably true). But with liberty comes individual responsibility. If someone is free to place themselves under the influence of a substance, they still must be responsible for whatever actions they take while under the influence. And any health consequences would not be the responsibility of society, it would be an individuals responsibility.

Drug prohibition inflates the prices of drugs. It also creates an atmosphere of violence where gangs thrive. Users will steal to support their habit, and gangs will be violent to secure their marketshare. It's exactly like prohibition in the 20's. Murder rose 70% during prohibition. Gangs flourished. Things didn't work out, it was repelled, and violence went down to pre-prohibition levels. The side effects of giving people the freedom to drink were far less than the side effects of criminalizing it. I believe the same would be true of drugs.

Drugs are bad, alcohol is bad, prostitution is bad- and prohibiting things that we might find morally unacceptable sounds like a nOBle effort. But I don't feel we should look to big government to solve all of our prOBlems. It has a tendency of making things worse. I guess that's the whole Libertarian view on pretty much all issues. Minimal government, maximum liberty.

• Members

@Jerry80871852,

Not a fan of John Strossel (I don't watch much TV, mine only gets local over-the-air channels, so I'm not sure I know who he is), but I am a libertarian ;).

@deputydog530,

The concept of liberty can be tricky to accept at first, and I entirely understand where you are coming from, because there's a lot of "what ifs" when you give people individual freedom- it can be scary to think about. (China is dealing with that now- they feel cutting back on censorship could dismantle their society and lead to revolution, and they have good reason to be afraid, because it's prOBably true). But with liberty comes individual responsibility. If someone is free to place themselves under the influence of a substance, they still must be responsible for whatever actions they take while under the influence. And any health consequences would not be the responsibility of society, it would be an individuals responsibility.

Drug prohibition inflates the prices of drugs. It also creates an atmosphere of violence where gangs thrive. Users will steal to support their habit, and gangs will be violent to secure their marketshare. It's exactly like prohibition in the 20's. Murder rose 70% during prohibition. Gangs flourished. Things didn't work out, it was repelled, and violence went down to pre-prohibition levels. The side effects of giving people the freedom to drink were far less than the side effects of criminalizing it. I believe the same would be true of drugs.

Drugs are bad, alcohol is bad, prostitution is bad- and prohibiting things that we might find morally unacceptable sounds like a nOBle effort. But I don't feel we should look to big government to solve all of our prOBlems. It has a tendency of making things worse. I guess that's the whole Libertarian view on pretty much all issues. Minimal government, maximum liberty.

He is a libertarian, and he believes both drugs and prostitution should be legalized. He stated this on one of Fox News shows the other day. He recently moved to Fox Business.

John Strossel

• Members

@Jerry80871852,

From that article, it seems I can say I agree with most of what he stands for. But he seems to be for abortion. I believe this violates the right to life of the unborn. While I'm all for personal freedom, I don't believe people should have the choice to kill another human being, whether it's inside your body or outside of it. But this is a big issue of division amongst the Libertarians.

• Members

@Jerry80871852,

From that article, it seems I can say I agree with most of what he stands for. But he seems to be for abortion. I believe this violates the right to life of the unborn. While I'm all for personal freedom, I don't believe people should have the choice to kill another human being, whether it's inside your body or outside of it. But this is a big issue of division amongst the Libertarians.

I knew you would not agree with him 100%, but I knew you would agree with much that he stands for.