• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Praying Aloud

• Members

When I'm asked to pray in front of people, I find that my prayer is completely unnatural and insincere (sort of like how I talk when I'm giving a speech). I find when I pray that my focus is on being 'seen of men' (not intentionally) even though it's my only wish to speak with God and Him alone. I guess that's just who I am. I'm uncomfortable speaking in front of people, thus I'm uncomfortable praying in front of them. It throws the sincerity and everything off. I hope this makes sense. Anyway, I think people like me should follow the advice Jesus gives in Matthew 6:5-6:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

I don't wear my suit to church either. Same reason. I feel it's unnatural and insincere. I ask myself, Who am I really trying to please by dressing all spiffy? Again, that's just me judging myself. I can't judge other people because I don't know their motives or heart. I hope I'm making sense.

• Members

At the same time? I've been in churches where the men all go to the altar and they all pray at the same time -

I've seen this in several IFB myself, but these churches also have music playing and singing while everyone goes to the altar to pray. Some pray silently while other pray at loud. But hey, we are in Church, right? Isn't praying suppose to be part of the Worship and Fellowshipping in churches?

Anyway, yes, some people are loud, but I'm not sure that's really like Pharisee if they if love the Lord and have no shame express that. But it would not be fair to the people can't not hear themselves think because it is too loud. Although, some people have no control of the volume of their own voice (like some of my family, especially myself because of my deafness)

• Members

I wear a suit, but I don't really dress to be seen of men, I dress for the Lord, and I want to be a good example for Him. I could wear my work clothes, beach wear, or whatever, to church like many do, but I don't feel that is showing much respect for our Lord Jesus nor His Church.

• Members

The men go to the Alter tp pray and only one man pray's outloud not being ask of the Pastor but he does this when in his seat as well. I find it distracting. We women stay in the pew's praying queitly to the LORD. Now, our Pastor does ask a man to open the service in prayer and later to close in prayer and they will both do so outloud but no one else is praying outloud then except sometimes this man. He's sincerely serving the Lord and really a babe in Christ. I've felt if there was something wrong Pastor wold tell him in private. His heart seem's so sincere but also I think we all are more living in grace by showing tolerance if ths bother's us because he is a babe in the LORD> I know of nothing Biblically except that all should be done in order. Our Pastor is so true to the Word that I trust him to handle these thing's in the church. Trying to show daily grace which I'm so in need of myself and desire that type of love be shown in my church home, His by Grace

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

@Jerry80871852,

I'm not sure that I feel the need to set examples for other people by outward adornment. On the contrary, I think that a humble appearance is more appealing to God. It may not be for man, but if we are doing things to try to please man, it becomes an issue of pride.

I Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

I Timothy 2:9-10
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sOBriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

I Peter 3:3-4
Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

• Members

MY brotherinlaw has a prOBlem with the practice of praying aloud as a group. He equates it with "speaking in tongues". My Wife tried to explain to him there was nothing wrong with it but, he's not convinced.

I see nothing wrong with it myself, but I always want to go to the Word of God to know for sure. These are the only verses I have come up with so far: Acts 12:12, Acts 1:14 and Acts 4:24.

Acts 4:24. And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

Does anyone know of more verses?

I really don't see anything in the Word of God against it but if the man is not comfortable with it we as believers need to be gracious to our brothers and sisters in Christ.

• Members

MY brotherinlaw has a prOBlem with the practice of praying aloud as a group. He equates it with "speaking in tongues". My Wife tried to explain to him there was nothing wrong with it but, he's not convinced.

I see nothing wrong with it myself, but I always want to go to the Word of God to know for sure. These are the only verses I have come up with so far: Acts 12:12, Acts 1:14 and Acts 4:24.

Acts 4:24. And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

Does anyone know of more verses?

Well ? I wish I had the time to sit down and write out all the verses ! I have real trouble understanding people who take staunch viewpoints on such things when they are SO clearly scriptural . There are so many examples both in O.T. and N.T. of public prayer I feel it not necessary to give any certain verse . Does he even READ his Bible ? I
I would ask him the question : Does he believe in following Biblical example ? Because like I said ,there are SO MANY all through scripture ! We`ll be praying for his understanding . God bless