• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saved or Savable?

Live4Him

• Members

And they are wrong - God's Word teaches that salvation is freely offered to all of mankind, not just some few "elect" that "God sovereignly chose" to be saved. There are no Bible verses to back up God choosing some to Heaven and some to Hell, some to believe/have eternal life and some to reject Christ/be damned. The elect are those who have received Christ - they weren't elected to trust in Christ, they became the elect when they did so. All those who are truly saved are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, to have an inheritance in Christ, etc.

This may help: What Is Biblical Predestination?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And they are wrong - God's Word teaches that salvation is freely offered to all of mankind, not just some few "elect" that "God sovereignly chose" to be saved. There are no Bible verses to back up God choosing some to Heaven and some to Hell, some to believe/have eternal life and some to reject Christ/be damned. The elect are those who have received Christ - they weren't elected to trust in Christ, they became the elect when they did so. All those who are truly saved are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, to have an inheritance in Christ, etc.

:thumb::amen:

• Members

Doesn't mean they aren't of Christ. ;)

• Members

Right - It is not the denomination that saves, but believing in the truth, and in the Lord Jesus Christ. Calvinism is not truth.

• Members

Calvinism is bound by Scripture - taken in context, & read in conjunction with related Scriptures. Its the principle of interpreting Scripture by Scripture, so that one builds up a coherent doctrine.

Relevant questions are:

• is everyone, or anyone, in a savable condition without the working of the Holy Spirit?
  • What is the work of the Holy Spirit in salvation?
  • Is repentance/faith in Christ/new birth a work of God in man, or a work of man?
  • Is the Gospel a free offer to everyone - take it or leave it by our will - or a command to repent & believe that is made possible by the working of the Holy Spirit?

Not dangerous at all, the Bible is quite clear for those who take God at His Word, whosoever believeth can be saved.

No! NOT "can be saved" but is, has been & will be saved for eternity.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If I preach along the lines of Wesley's hymn, "Come sinners to the Gospel feast, let every soul be Jesus' guest; you need not one be left behind, for God has bidden all mankind" I am not denying my calvinism, but preaching the Gospel. I preach the Word, & call sinners to repentance. The Holy Spirit causes that precious seed to grow to new birth. Elect sinners repent & believe.

James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

• Members

For God so loved...the elect?....no, He loved "the world"
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God's will...that ALL should be saved.
NOT God's will.... that any should go to Hell
2 Peter 3:9: "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is long suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance

How does God draw men to Himself? By the Holy Spirit...
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Here is an example....
Acts 1-24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Notice that Paul gave Felix the Gospel, Felix was drawn by the Holy Spirit, and Felix was convicted(he trembled) but Felix said..... "not now". It was his choice.

• Members

Relevant questions are:
  • is everyone, or anyone, in a savable condition without the working of the Holy Spirit?
  • What is the work of the Holy Spirit in salvation?
  • Is repentance/faith in Christ/new birth a work of God in man, or a work of man?
  • Is the Gospel a free offer to everyone - take it or leave it by our will - or a command to repent & believe that is made possible by the working of the Holy Spirit?

Answering your questions as best I can

#1 Jesus said "and I if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw ALL MEN unto me"

#2 Jesus said that the Comforter (the Holy Spirit) would reprove the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. I think "the world" means every one will be reproved don't you? The Bible also says all are "without excuse"

#3 Simple faith in your heart, when you simply believe on the Lord Jesus Christ in faith and repentence, is not a WORK at all! It takes no action, no sweat, no words, no physical "doing" of anything. The Bible says "with the HEART man believeth unto righteousness".....The WORK is all done by God from the work of Christm to the preaching of the Gospel to the wooing of the Holy Ghost. The Bible says "only believe"...you just have to believe on the right one....the Lord Jesus Christ

#4 This one has been answered, in the responses above.

• Members

Wow, Covenanter, not only do you miss the boat when it comes to Bible prophecy, but you try to tell us Calvinism is Biblical. Not unless it is Biblical to rip passages out of context and redefine some terms so that they mean something other than the passage indicates.

• Members

I would like to believe like you guys do, but how can you explain passages like Romans 9?

I was under the impression that you did.......

According to the Reformed doctrine of grace, limited atonement, it's possible. But that's my biggest contention with Calvinism--I just can't accept that I was born saved...........