• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

House insurance

• Members

About the 2nd month of 2009 my house insurance had got up to about $328.00 every 3 months. I went and talked with my agent, changed the deductible, got it down to about $299.00 every 3 months. 3 months later it was $314.01, 3 months later it was $323.00, the latest on is $379.00.

Car insurance has increased a bit, but not near as much as house insurance.

There has been no claims. Anyone else have this prOBlem. I think its way to much increase and not the least bit reasonable. What is you opinion?

I placed a note in with my payment, saying, I'm insurance hunting, when I get my next bill if my insurance has not gone way down, if I've found cheaper insurance, and I fully believe I will, my house and 2 cars will no longer be insured with you. Your choice.

• Members

We switched from Farmers last year to Farm Bureau, and our car insurance went down dramatically, but our homeowners went up a little. We still made the better deal. So, I would shop around. It's inconvenient, and if you still have a mortgage, watch out for escrow shortages.

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

No mortgage, its all paid for. I had Farmers years ago. One day I had gone to town, I felt bad, bumped a car at the post office. Went I got home I told Linda what happened and that I'm feeling pretty rough. Took my tempo and it was over 102. Found out latter that day I had a bladder infection.

But, Farmers insurance went up real high because of that little fender bender of about $200.00. Shortly I changed to Shelter, been with them ever since.

I kind of dislike Farm Bureau because of their political involvement and the paying of dues, and where the dues go.

Yet I may soon go with another insurance company. I believe we could save money if we went insurance shopping every year.

• Members

Those of us who live in hurricane areas have been feeling the pinch of rising rates for many years. I am just relieved that the companies still write policies in my state. (Sad, but true.) I can honestly say that if we don't completely lose our house to a hurricane (total loss) then the insurance we do have will be like not having any as the deductible is astronomical. If I sent a note with my payment, they wouldn't care. I hope you find something that is more reasonable and that will provide you with adequate coverage.

• Members

Get a quote from State Farm. We have been with them for over 40 years with car insurance and 20 years with home owners insurance, and several years with rental insurance. We have had no prOBlems with them. You are paying way too much for homeowners insurance.

• Members

Insurance can change the rates based on the length of the policy. My policy is a 1 year policy. The rate is fixed for that full year. State farm raised my rates significantly so I switched to Auto-owners here in Michigan. It dropped back down to $495. Last year it went up to about 600

• Members

Insurance can change the rates based on the length of the policy. My policy is a 1 year policy. The rate is fixed for that full year. State farm raised my rates significantly so I switched to Auto-owners here in Michigan. It dropped back down to $495. Last year it went up to about 600

That seems to back up the thought, we all could save money by shopping for insurance every years.

• Members

We do ours yearly escrowed with our mortgage payment and it's about $330 for a year. We've had it for 5 years and it's never gone up. Allstate. Our car insurance has actually gradually been dropping with them for the last 3 years. Can't beat that! :clapping:

• Members

The reason we switched to Farmers was because State Farm raised our homeowners insurance $350, and we had no claims. We switched to Farm Bureau when my wife started working with them as an administrative assistant for the local office.